Asian Authors

Kzinti

Science fiction fantasy
I'm totally into Oriental authors. Ted Chiang is my favorite, especially with his "The Story of Your Life." I can't remember how many times I've read that. You ask me, it was better than any comic book/superhero thing they have in the movies these days.

I also like Journey to the West, which I regard as the first fantasy book ever. I've only seen a movie adaptation, and I'm going to find a copy of the book somewhere.

Anyone else into this sort of thing?

Only problem there is that I'm not sure you can really call Ted Chiang oriental. Yes those are obviously his origins by he is American born and bred. To be honest I'm not sure I've read any oriental speculative literature myself and I maybe should look some out. I'd certainly be interested in any recommendations.

I've only read All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka and Battle Royale by Koushun Takami. I would recommend them both easily.

For more Japanese authors you can go to the Haikasoru site. I have a few of them on by TBR pile.

Would I be correct in saying that both of those are in both novel and comic form? It's the novels I would be interested in. I have heard of Battle Royale and have been somewhat put off by its violent reputation.

I've only read the novels, and only the English translations. Both are quite violent, but All You Need Is Kill is perhaps less so.

I have Rocket Girls by Housuke Nojiri on my shelf and that is supposed to be about a girl training to be an astronaut in order to find her father. It doesn't sound all that violent, but who knows.

I have a feeling that Haikasoru concentrates on fairly gritty and violent stuff at the moment, although there is a collection of short stories I've been meaning to pick up called The Future is Japanese. It's a collection of stories from western and Japanese authors with stories taking place in or about Japan.

I've read Journey to the West. It has its moments, but I prefer Outlaws of the Marsh by some way.

You can buy four volume boxed sets of those (and Three Kingdoms). I've got a single volume (of V or VI) of another translation of Outlaws of the Marsh which is better, but the overall cost would be much higher.

I enjoy the work of Haruki Marakami.

1Q84 was something that I particularly enjoyed by him. It involves the interweaving of the lives of an assassin and a writer who re-writes the work of a beautiful, dyslexic teenage girl with a unique vision, allowing entry to a parallel world.

You may want to start with something short like Sputnik Sweetheart

I enjoy the work of Haruki Marakami.

1Q84 was something that I particularly enjoyed by him. It involves the interweaving of the lives of an assassin and a writer who re-writes the work of a beautiful, dyslexic teenage girl with a unique vision, allowing entry to a parallel world.

He has a distinct narrative style that borders on mostly telling. It's very good telling descriptive and expressive but it's like having the storyteller[your father or grandfather perhaps] sit you down and say listen I'm going to tell you a story. And he tells it carefully leaving no need to imagine things.

Thanks guys. I wish I had enough time to check those out, but I'll try my best.

Also, Rosario + Vampire was great. You guys should also check out Buronson.

Back