Author Website

ratsy

So, I'm just wondering who has an author website here? I have been getting a few small things pubbed out there in the webisphere and they always ask for a link to your 'website'. Do I need one? Should I make one?

I don't have a novel written yet, so I'm not sure if I need. I guess I could make one and have links to any Anthologies I might get in. (crosses fingers for the few I have subbed)

Or keep a blog on my novel writing progress.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Yes, I have one: E.J Tett

Get yourself a blog if you don't want a website. People might like to see what else you've written.

Any suggestions on a blog site? Are there blog sites you just create a page on? I am not very savvy in this kind of thing :(

Any suggestions on a blog site? Are there blog sites you just create a page on? I am not very savvy in this kind of thing :(

Wordpress is the easiest, most widely used, and certainly has the most respected reputation by far - but if you care a great deal about the appearance of the blog, you should know in advance that Wordpress' free themes have limited customizability. If you want the full power and customization you either have to pay or have your own domain that uses Wordpress management.

I use Blogger. No problems with it whatsoever. Really easy and simple to use. You can see on mine (there's a link to it on my site) that I've got a few different pages - you can just have one up with details of your stories if you want to.

After struggling to leave a comment for someone on a Wordpress blog this morning to the point where I said bugger it and gave up, I now officially hate them.

I use Blogger. No problems with it whatsoever. Really easy and simple to use. You can see on mine (there's a link to it on my site) that I've got a few different pages - you can just have one up with details of your stories if you want to.

After struggling to leave a comment for someone on a Wordpress blog this morning to the point where I said bugger it and gave up, I now officially hate them.

Wordpress has many different comment settings that the owner of the blog could set - it is very likely they have it on review mode where they get to see each comment and approve it before it actually shows up.

No, it wouldn't let me actually leave a comment. At all. I know lots of people do the review thing first - I used to - but this was not it.

No, it wouldn't let me actually leave a comment. At all. I know lots of people do the review thing first - I used to - but this was not it.

Odd. If they did not turn comments off themselves, the owner must have broken something when customizing their site. Anyways, Blogger or Wordpress would both work for what the person asking is looking for. My issue with Blogger is the connection to Google.

Okay, cool. Didn't know you could do a site like that with a blog base. I like it. I will check out both and heed your issue with the comments.

Okay, cool. Didn't know you could do a site like that with a blog base. I like it. I will check out both and heed your issue with the comments.

You can peruse themes and customization with both sites before actually purchasing anything if you are planning on getting a domain or using a purchased theme. Here is a decent site showing a variety of Wordpress websites: link

Part of the reason Wordpress has become so popular is the volume of themes, the power of the themes, and the level of support you can get. If you are not planning on paying for anything, the ease of use of Blogger might be a better option.

I have three websites and three blogs, of which two and one respectively relate to my writing:

Personal website: LizardsoftheHost

Publishing website: Lizards of the Host Publishing

An irregular blog done in character for the bad(der) guy from my vampire horror stories: Haemophiliac

I'd say do either a blog or a website to start, not both.

Thanks for the info gang. I think I will start with a blog. I'll post a link when I get it going in the next couple weeks..hopefully

As one of TBP's star writers I can offer you http://nathanhystad.ticketyboopress.co.uk

This can be tailored to your needs and is totally independant of main site. In my opinion it is posher than Blogger or Wordpress and makes you look windswept and interesting.

Any of our writers can have this. Will also open a forum on our forums. :)

Let me use you as a test?

Food for thought

I have my own hosting, it's cheap. But you do need to learn a little IT. On the other hand then you have total flexibility. Only one of my 15+ websites is a blog related to my writing (on the menu here at my name). I will also set up a website simulating the College Library computer in my current book (Encyclopaedia portal, Students union, Student & Masters accounts, messaging inc interstellar messages). I hope to create 'real' accounts with real time messaging and and real email for everyone that gets the book! Maybe an IRC server to simulate conference messaging and gateway to other services to simulate the interstellar messages.

Setting up your own Wordpress with any free plugin and themes is pretty much just a click with no IT knowledge on many hosting companies. But careful to only install themes and plugins from Wordpress catalogue to avoid Trojans and only install plugins you really need. Do make it that people have to register and comments have to be moderated. Or better still turn comments off. Or else you'll have a spam problem.

Gary, that sounds interesting. I'd be willing to give it a try.