Favorite Books You Like to Recommend to People And What Make Them Favorites

Which books do you like to recommend to people and why do you like to recommend them as much as you do? And what makes think others would enjoy the books you recommend and like them as much as you do?

What in you opinion makes these books of your stand out? :)

Depends on who I'm talking to as to whether or not I recommend a given book. I have a friend to whom I've suggested books I wasn't particularly fond of or that I hadn't even read yet, but which I thought fit his usual reading patterns. I think I've hit about 80-85% right with him.

Among books I've recommended to others are,

The Circus of Dr. Lao by Charles Finney -- terrific satire as well as a engaging fantasy. My first 4-5 reads I had trouble with the ending; it seemed weak. My last couple of reads, I'm not sure there could be a more perfect ending given the premise.

The Land of Laughs by Jonathan Carroll -- One of my favorite fantasies, it starts like a mainstream novel with aspects of the thriller, slides into fantasy, and ends on a chilling note. What works for me is the directness and simplicity of Carroll's prose; but it's a deceiving simplicity since the story and its implications are thought-provoking.

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susannah Clarke -- big book, written as a Jane Austen-like comedy of manners with magic. Wonderful from start to finish, with a sly sense of humor and a mostly understated approach to magic. Some readers hate the footnotes but I looked forward to them since they offered more background to the world and often showed that sneaky humor.

Absalom, Absalom by William Faulkner -- complex, compelling, intricate, Faulkner applies a mystery story-like plot to an unraveling of the ways in which the post-Civil War South worked, only not a who-dun-it, we know that, but a why-dun-it. This is one I'd mainly suggest to patient readers with the advise to let the prose carry you along, read without worrying about parsing the long sentences. For myself, each time I've read it I've found myself about 50 pages in in about half the time it takes me to read that much by most writers, wondering if I'd really followed the story or just followed words along the page. I'm always surprised how much I remember.

Twilight by William Gay -- a more recent, unfortunately deceased Southern writer. A chase story through the Harrikin, local name for a forest that has the qualities of a fairy tale woods. Along the way we meet possibly the most off-putting undertaker in literature.

The Two Sams by Glen Hirshberg -- story collection by one of the best of recent ghost/horror story writers. "Struwwelpeter" (sp?) and "Mr. Dark's Carnival" are, for me, worth the price of admission on their own. Add in "Dancing Men" and the title story and it's a plus-value collection. There's a 5th story I didn't care for as much, but I think maybe because its weak in relation to the other stories rather than weak on its own.

Naturally, there are others, but these are ones I've been pushing hard, some for a number of years. This year I read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and I would push it on others, except most people I've talked to have already read it.

Randy M.

Apart from the usual genre-specific recommendations, I like to recommend Woody Guthrie's Bound for Glory. Lived American history by someone who has become a famous part of that history himself. Great humor and practical wisdom in the face of personal and social tragedy and truly great literature by one who was anything but literary.

I would too, I agree with your sentiments. However, if you suggest to someone that they read War and Peace, I always wonder if they'll think you're just being a smartarse. And its too big a reading commitment to be responsibility for! What if they read the whole thing and decide they wasted a month of their life on the basis of your recommendation. No I can't do it. :)

Interesting point, I guess people would look at me as being a bit strangely for recommending . What's sad is that so many readers don't seem to appreciate this wonderful book for what it is . It's got everything you could possibly want in a book.

Interesting point, I guess people would look at me as being a bit strangely for recommending . What's sad is that so many readers don't seem to appreciate this wonderful book for what it is . It's got everything you could possibly want in a book.

Except brevity. And spaceships. :D

War and Peace by Tolstoy. It took me about a month to read it . A truly magnificent read. I love to recommend this one. :)

I've had the pleasure of teaching Warp and Ease a couple of times in a Russian-lit-in-translation class. The first time, it went over well, as I remember. The second time it didn't seem to fly quite so well with the students and I probably won't use it again unless I figure I've got an exceptional bunch enrolling. Next time I teach the course tyhe two principal books will probably be Anna Karenina and The Brothers Karamazov.

Too often, when I recommend a book, I have to lend it out and I never see it again.

I never set out to recommend a book; there comes a moment in a random conversation: "Oh! then you have to read this. Here I have a copy."

No limits on genre or topics.

Seems to happen with Terry Pratchett a lot.

I try to keep a couple of copies of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas handy; but they keep disappearing.

The House on The Borderland by William Hope Hodgson . This book is has got a bit of everything, Horror, Fantasy and science fiction.

I'd recommend Anne of Green Gables to any young girl because Anne Shirley was one of the early female protagonists whose coming-of-age story did not involve having her spirit squelched and the adults around her appreciated her as a person after she went to live at Green Gables in Avonlea with Matthew and Marilla. She grew up to be a courageous, inventive, imaginative, pro-active, and funny woman who fulfilled all her dreams at a time when women were fighting hard for the vote.

Plus, L.M. Montgomery's writing may verge on the sentimental but it's gorgeous to read and a respite from the constant grittiness and darkness of the dystopian worlds that today's teen heroines inhabit.

War and Peace by Tolstoy. It took me about a month to read it . A truly magnificent read. I love to recommend this one. :)
"War and Peace" shouldn't really be attempted without a supporting "notes" book. It's a real pain trying to remember which character relates to which names. For those that haven't tried, most of the central characters are known by three different (although some are similar) names. Trying to remember trivia like ages is so difficult that even Tolstoy failed.

Depends on who I'm talking to as to whether or not I recommend a given book. I have a friend to whom I've suggested books I wasn't particularly fond of or that I hadn't even read yet, but which I thought fit his usual reading patterns. I think I've hit about 80-85% right with him.

Among books I've recommended to others are,
--

The Land of Laughs by Jonathan Carroll -- One of my favorite fantasies, it starts like a mainstream novel with aspects of the thriller, slides into fantasy, and ends on a chilling note. What works for me is the directness and simplicity of Carroll's prose; but it's a deceiving simplicity since the story and its implications are thought-provoking.

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susannah Clarke -- big book, written as a Jane Austen-like comedy of manners with magic. Wonderful from start to finish, with a sly sense of humor and a mostly understated approach to magic. Some readers hate the footnotes but I looked forward to them since they offered more background to the world and often showed that sneaky humor.
--

Randy M.

I read Land of Laughs after numerous recommendations from one person. I still rate it a long way behind "Blind Voices" by Tom Reamy. All the same buttons but much better pressed. Then again, I'd read the Reamy first.

The Susannah Clarke is a great book but it's 1,000 pages long.

I read Land of Laughs after numerous recommendations from one person. I still rate it a long way behind "Blind Voices" by Tom Reamy. All the same buttons but much better pressed. Then again, I'd read the Reamy first.
[...]

We may have to agree to disagree. I liked the Reamy as a promising first novel and regret that he never had a chance to write a second. Blind Voices starts well, with a fine Bradbury-like evocation of a small town and it inhabitants, but it trips over it's s.f. trappings, becomes clunky in the second half. The Carroll is a smooth ride start to finish, and while it's not flashy, Carroll writes some of the best prose I've come across in genre fiction.

Randy M.

'Unto This Hour' by Tom Wicker...the whole book just transports you back to the early days of the ACW and the battles around The Manassas Gap. The opening passages make you chew on the dust being thrown up by the marching soldiers, and it continues like that throughout.

Juvie for young boy: Plague of Demons by Laumer (Aliens, Brains & Tanks what could be cooler!) or Earthblood by Laumer/RG Brown
Sci-Fi with heart: Sirius by Stapledon, Way Station by Simak
Flat out funny: The Aluminum Man by GC Edmonson

There are five go to books that I always recommend. They are emotionally engaging, have great characters, and are really hard to put down. They're also my five favorite novels - so there's that.

Dune by Frank Herbert
Replay by Ken Grimwood
The Dark Beyond the Stars by Frank M. Robinson
Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
11/22/63 by Stephen King

There are five go to books that I always recommend.

Dune by Frank Herbert

I always recommend Dune (my favourite book)

I read Dune decades ago and I see it usually competes with Ender's Game for the #1 most popular SF book.

Dune has more color and texture but Ender's Game is more relevant to the immediate future.

I don't expect an alien invasion but EG brings up educational psychology and Internet influence. We now have the tablet computers and the issue is what to install on them. The LA fiasco shows how well our educators are handling the tech.

LA ipad fiasco: http://www.npr.org/blogs/ed/2014/08/27/343549939/the-l-a-school-ipad-scandal-what-you-need-to-know

psik

Silverlock by John Myer Myers . written in 1949 , This comic fantasy novel about stuck up socialite named Shandon Silverlock who gets shipwrecked and marooned on a mysterious Island called The Commonwealth . This Island is populated by al the characters of Myth and literature and it a fun book to read. :cool:(y)