Readers are the best people to fall in love with

I don't doubt her conclusion. But she writes as if readers were people who understood all, experienced all, and were able to relate to all. ---- More than a little strong! But I thought her points about readers being better able to see points of view other than their own, while still holding their own rang true as can be. I'm happy to be a reader, and to have married one. (41+ years now!)

Heh. I was going to post this link on my facebook; because it describes me, to a tee, as one of the marvelous assets of me.

But, then parts might make wife, RN, Director of Nursing at a street-clinic, uncomfortable. She doesn't read fiction because her work, and maintaining her status as a medical professional requires an enormous amount of non-fiction reading. She has no time, energy or need for fiction.

Thus, the article makes me look like a good catch; but it reads rather disparaging towards a damned good mate who doesn't read-for-fun.

I could see her feeling a bit dissed about the treatment of non-readers in parts of this article and I really don't fancy needing to have to assuage her about how her work with the homeless, the mad, the addicted and the afflicted give her an equally broad perspective on the human condition.

My world is rather sheltered; but for the fiction. The stories she comes home with, every evening from the real world are, as they say, stranger than fiction.

Last edited:
I agree that reading develops your empathy and elevates deep thinking, however, I wouldn't say us readers are "better people".

However, I would say children/teenagers should read more, since it does enhance your vocabulary and makes you think.

Heh. I was going to post this link on my facebook; because it describes me, to a tee, as one of the marvelous assets of me.

But, then parts might make wife, RN, Director of Nursing at a street-clinic, uncomfortable. She doesn't read fiction because her work, and maintaining her status as a medical professional requires an enormous amount of non-fiction reading. She has no time, energy or need for fiction.

Thus, the article makes me look like a good catch; but it reads rather disparaging towards a damned good mate who doesn't read-for-fun.

I could see her feeling a bit dissed about the treatment of non-readers in parts of this article and I really don't fancy needing to have to assuage her about how her work with the homeless, the mad, the addicted and the afflicted give her an equally broad perspective on the human condition.

My world is rather sheltered; but for the fiction. The stories she comes home with, every evening from the real world are, as they say, stranger than fiction.

This proves that you were indeed a good catch. :cool: But doubtless so was she.:)

The thing I have never quite understood is where readers meet other readers. Because we are, well, at home reading. I tend to only meet non-readers when I venture out into the world socially.

The thing I have never quite understood is where readers meet other readers. Because we are, well, at home reading. I tend to only meet non-readers when I venture out into the world socially.

Try hanging out in bookshops - best of both worlds.

Booksellers have those traits in spades.

;)