Stella Gemmell - The City

It's on the "to read during breaks at work" list, but there're two reads in progress to finish before I get to it :)

There is another post on that in this forum. I read and and enjoyed it very much. Can definitely see some of DG's influence.

Started this a couple of days ago during breaks, I'm about 1/3 of the way through and enjoying it. DG's influence shows in the style: cinematic, large cast, changing POVs. It's interesting and well enough written. The multiple character threads and histories are just starting to show glimpses of coming together, which I enjoy. My only real complaint so far is that the naming for characters doesn't seem very culturally cohesive. Fell Aron Lee, Bartellus, Shuskara, Emly, Indaro. They're all from the same place, but the names sound globally diverse. For me it always helps when, especially in an age before mass communication, nomenclature is a little more generic and cohesive. But that's one small complaint and doesn't detract from the story particularly (except I keep remembering it as Fell Iron Lee, which makes me think of Bruce Lee).

I stopped while they were in the sewers. Those scenes just dragged me out. Maybe ill go back to it. Does it get better?

I stopped while they were in the sewers. Those scenes just dragged me out. Maybe ill go back to it. Does it get better?

I didn't mind the sewers, but that is a long time in the same setting.
Each part of the book has a completely different setting, with new characters introduced. So depending on why you didn't like the sewers, you may or may not like the rest.

I thought this book was just excellent. Free from David's plot mechanics and character sets and yet similar in in style. I've been trying to get my family to read Gemmell since time immemorial and finally my Mum reluctantly picked up this (because it was written by a woman) and she couldn't put it down. My Mum usually only reads Lit Fic because she and my Dad are both retired English teachers. My older brother follows their lead. And I've spent nearly twenty years now trying to show them that Fantasy is not trash pulp fiction and that David Gemmell is the best of them worthy of the greatest literary prizes for any genre. And finally Stella Gemmell, the widow of my all time favourite gives this back door into my Mum's literary affections. At last! My brother WILL read Ravenheart and he WILL admit it stands alongside Brave New World and 1984....

Maybe...