Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
Okay so not really SF or F but never mind!

3/5 stars (should I feel quilty for giving such a renowned book a low rating?)

The style in which Heart of Darkness is written is something I have only come across once before. It is ‘written’ by an anonymous person documenting the story as told by the main protagonist; effectively it is a monologue. The only other time I have seen this style used is by H G Wells in The Time Machine, published just 4 years earlier and, frankly, for me at least, in neither case does it do much to enhance the reading experience.

Sadly, I found Heart of Darkness very heavy going; there are passages and sections of brilliant prose and then there are passages that I simply could make no sense of; words used that, for me at least, were utterly inappropriate in their context, adjectives that I could not reconcile with the nouns they were describing. Certainly Conrad does wander off in wild flights of metaphor, so maybe I just don’t have the imagination to understand the links that he has (presumably) seen between adjective and noun. Consequently there were some passages and many sentences that left me completely bewildered. And yet there are also those other flashes of sheer genius – “Droll thing life is—that mysterious arrangement of merciless logic for a futile purpose.”

Another niggle was again to do with Conrad’s use, or in this case overuse, of words. Some of this was undoubtedly deliberate – the heavy use of ‘heart’ and ‘darkness’ throughout – but some was just plain annoying; by the end of the book I really didn’t want to read the word ‘eloquent’ or ‘eloquence’ ever again or, for that matter, ‘restraint.’ If these other words were overused intentionally then I certainly could not understand why.

Throughout the book I found Conrad used language, vocabulary and sentence structure that I struggled with. Now I know he was born in Poland, and English was his second language, but he is often presented as “the greatest novelist to write in the English language,” so I can’t offer his Polish nationality as excuse. I have read a number of other authors writing around the same period with whom I had no such problems – Doyle, Wells, Wodehouse – so neither can I really offer the period in which it was written as excuse. But the result was, again, sentences that flew over my head with little, or sometimes no, understanding from me.

All of these complaints are a shame because the story itself is brilliant; a classic examination of the extremes of behaviour that can emerge from extremes of circumstances. A story that was, of course, famously adapted and updated for Apocalypse Now. So now I am left wondering whether this is, for me, a great book or a terrible one. Whichever, it is certainly an exceptional one.

Last edited:
Och well that makes me feel a wee bit better! It had its moments but overall I was expecting something... I don't know... more I suppose.

I read it a couple of times many years ago, and I seem to recall struggling with it too, but I wouldn't have missed it for the way some of its imagery has sunk into me. In particular, the mad idea of a warship "shelling a continent" (if I've remembered the words right) has stuck with me long after many other books have faded from my mind completely. But that might be the age at which I read it. Probably every book benefits from being read in one's late teens. After that, I'm not sure it's worth bothering.

That's why my feeling about the book is, in the end, pretty ambiguous; heavy going, pompous maybe but it also has its undoubted moments of pure brilliance. Some of the descriptive passages absolutely put you there.

Your quote is close, I remembered the scene (I suspect it may have inspired the "smell of napalm" scene in the film) and took a look:

...she was shelling the bush. It appears the French had one of their wars going on thereabouts. Her ensign dropped limp like a rag; the muzzles of the long six-inch guns stuck out all over the low hull; the greasy, slimy swell swung her up lazily and let her down, swaying her thin masts. In the empty immensity of earth, sky, and water, there she was, incomprehensible, firing into a continent.

And to be fair that is one of the moments of brilliance. I loved that "It appears..." sentence; so prosaic, bored even.

I read it three or four years ago and although I can't say I enjoyed it, I thought it was very powerful. I didn't recall having problems with comprehension of the language -- some of the metaphysical bits, yes, but I always have that problem and just skim-read protracted navel-gazing in any novel -- so I very quickly re-read it yesterday just to see, but no, everything seemed fine to me, and I had no difficulties with word/adjectival etc use at all. I'm also usually good at picking up excessive repetitions, but I wouldn't have noticed them if you hadn't said. As for his style in general, it isn't one I'd want to emulate, but I thought it was effective for the story he was telling -- but I've read a good bit of much earlier and more florid/downright boring Victorian writing so perhaps I'm inured to it! (And I'd forgive a great deal for a phrase like "papier-mâché Mephistopheles"!)

As to the frame story, I'm not a lover of those either, but I think here it serves two purposes. Firstly it distances us just a touch from Marlow himself, since otherwise we would be completely overwhelmed by him, but here we have the unnamed narrator acting as an intermediary. Secondly, it serves to remind us that the darkness is not Africa, not even pagan England as it was when the Romans invaded as Marlow suggests, since the darkness is hanging over the city which the narrator sees as a source of good and heroic endeavours, but which we can understand -- in the light of Marlow's tale -- is just as culpable, and is itself just as dark. I think.

Ah I thought there was probably a proper name for that style - a frame story then! Although from Wiki I think this (and The Time Machine) stretch that definition a little - The frame story leads readers from a first story into another, smaller one... - since here the 'other' story is certainly not the smaller one. Occasional smaller ones I have no problem with. I think one of the difficulties with this approach (for the modern reader) is it does rather result in a wall of text for the reader.

I think maybe your first comment covers my ambiguous feelings pretty well; not sure I enjoyed it but, yes, it was certainly powerful.

I'd agree with your interpretation of 'darkness' and I suspect that is exactly why he used it so much. I felt he was ultimately referring to the darkness in (most) humans' souls.

I'll see if I can find some of those inappropriate (to me) word combinations. But I can never seem to find these things when I look back. (note to self must do more annotations when reading and not be so lazy!!!!)

Although from Wiki I think this (and The Time Machine) stretch that definition a little - The frame story leads readers from a first story into another, smaller one... - since here the 'other' story is certainly not the smaller one.

I assume it means "smaller" as in "within the frame" (which makes the word pretty redundant, admittedly), rather than occupying less space, since all the frame stories I can think of are pretty much bookends for the main one (though they might also serve a genuine purpose). One of my favourites, from Shelley's poem Ozymandius, is just "I met a traveller from an antique land, who said:" which is about as minimalist as it gets.

I have been and remain a huge fan of Conrad.

With that little chestnut out the way I have to agree with the general opinion that Heart of Darkness, despite it's reputation is a very hard book to read and is not an enjoyable read. I remember looking at the size of it and thinking it's be an easy read. It wasn't.

It is a book about a descent into darkness in so many ways, that it can only drag the reader with it. I found it to be an emotional journey, something that triggers all the grim feelings as the boat travels into it's heart of darkness, but not a pleasant read.

If you want to see Conrad in a better light try Lord Jim - one of the lighter books, or my personal favourite Under Western Eyes, the writing of which apparently drove Conrad mad for a period of time.

I think you're probably right HB (I was just having a pedantic moment:))

With that little chestnut out the way I have to agree with the general opinion that Heart of Darkness, despite it's reputation is a very hard book to read and is not an enjoyable read. I remember looking at the size of it and thinking it's be an easy read. It wasn't.

I thought exactly the same until I saw the wall of text! To be fair I didn't actually find it that hard a read on the whole (the exception being, as the Judge says, when he gets too much into the navel gazing) just not very enjoyable. But even there in parts it was glorious and very enjoyable reading. Altogether a bit of mixed bag; hence my ambiguous 3 stars.

As an aside I've found 'wall of text' reading much less intimidating and consequently more enjoyable since I moved to a ebooks where you simply don't see as much of the wall at any one time. I remember the length of some of Bolano's very long sentences (some actually spanning multiple pages) didn't actually register with me as being exceptional until I reached their endings. But, on looking at the same sentences in the printed book, where you are confronted with two facing pages of unbroken text, it suddenly seemed so much harder to read. Strange.

Oh and Perp, I do plan to try more of Conrad's stuff. As I'm thoroughly enjoying Forester's Hornblower books at the moment I thought I might give some of his more nautical offerings a go.

Oh and Perp, I do plan to try more of Conrad's stuff. As I'm thoroughly enjoying Forester's Hornblower books at the moment I thought I might give some of his more nautical offerings a go.

It's been a while since I went on a Conrad binge but I certainly +1 on PM suggestion for Lord Jim. I'd add the The Secret Agent and especially Nostromo as well, as they stick most in my memory as good reads. Nostromo's a bit of a long book though, so you might want to do shorter works to acclimatise to Conrad's style.

Well I've got all of those lined up but I'm not planning on a binge; more a sprinkling amongst my more 'normal' reading.

Its funny what folk find easier to get into than others. Personal taste for the style, and I think plot. I think if the plot idea appeals, then it helps tremendously. I liked the idea of the HoD plot and how it inspired Apocalypse Now, and so I think I found it an easy read accordingly. I reread it recently and again found it a very easy and enjoyable read. But... I've tried twice to start Nostromo and not got far either time - probably because I just wasn't in the right mood for it. I'm interested to see Venusian Broon recommend Nostromo though, so maybe I'll give it a third (and more British) try.

Oh, and that section transcribed above of the French warship firing at Africa - absolutely wonderful I agree. I seem to recall many passages of that quality that took my breath away in HoD.

The Secret Sharer, The Secret Agent, An Outpost of Progress, and Lord Jim are the works of Conrad that I've read. He strives mightily to create his settings. His themes are dark, yet purposeful. After the Victorian Age, I think most readers will find him ponderous. Henry James, EA Poe, and Stephen King know how to ratchet up the tension, while Conrad just adds pages.

Back