Warhammer Novels

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
This includes , the Warhammer fantasy series, Warhammer Horus Heresy and the Warhammer 40,000 .

Gaunts Ghosts, Eisenhorn, Ravonor by Dan Abnett, Caiphas Cain By Sandy Mitchell

Gotrek And Felix by William King and Nathan Long

Also The Horus Heresy sag which by lots of writers including Dan Abnett.

Lots good stuff. :)

Last edited:
I've read quite a few of the omnibuses and rate them quite highly. Dan Abnett's my personal favourite, especially the Gaunt's Ghosts series.

I've read quite a few of the omnibuses and rate them quite highly. Dan Abnett's my personal favourite, especially the Gaunt's Ghosts series.

Gaunt's Ghosts is one of the best of the best Military science fiction series ive ever read.

Caiphis Cain is just as good as Gaunt. It's also got some wonderfully comic moments in it as Cain does everything he can to try to keep himself out of harms way.:D

Under stand alone novels Guy Haley's novel Baneblade is quite good as is Andy Hoare's novel Commissar:)

I saw them both at Forbidden Planet last week and was tempted to pick them up.

I saw them both at Forbidden Planet last week and was tempted to pick them up.

Eisenhorn is superb stuff, It got me into the Warhammer novels and Thought Ravenor was even better.

I just picked up the The Nightlords Omnibus by Aaron Demski Bowden. Can't wait to get in to that one. :)

I read one of the Caiphus Cain books and was pleasantly surprised. I expected a franchise book to be pretty poor but it was actually a good enjoyable read.

I read one of the Caiphus Cain books and was pleasantly surprised. I expected a franchise book to be pretty poor but it was actually a good enjoyable read.

It's great stuff, kind of reminds me of George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman books .:)

I highly recommend Straken, by, er me. Of course, I might be biased.

I would love to see them do a Caiphus Cain tv series or a Gaunt tv series

Or a Horus Heresy CGI animated series.

Or How about an Eisenhorn feature film trilogy ? :)

Caiphis Cain for all of his negativity about himself, Is better then he thinks. He says he does thing out self preservation but Im not sure that entirely the case.:)

I always saw Ciaphas Cain as an extraordinarily brave person as he is terrified but does the heroic deed anyway.

While I like the Gaunt's Ghosts books, I've never gone full-bore into them like a lot of fans.

I like them, Abnett is certainly a good author, but for me there's always seems to be something, I dunno, missing I guess. Can't really put my finger on it.

Guy Haley is highly recommended. His Baneblade novel is top notch.

Maybe I'm just a bit of a snob, but I find a LOT of Warhammer fiction to be proper drivel and seem to be written for 13yos, where most of the themes seem to be "SPACE MARINES WIN, 'COS SPASS MEHREENS!!"

While I like the Gaunt's Ghosts books, I've never gone full-bore into them like a lot of fans.

I like them, Abnett is certainly a good author, but for me there's always seems to be something, I dunno, missing I guess. Can't really put my finger on it.

Guy Haley is highly recommended. His Baneblade novel is top notch.

Maybe I'm just a bit of a snob, but I find a LOT of Warhammer fiction to be proper drivel and seem to be written for 13yos, where most of the themes seem to be "SPACE MARINES WIN, 'COS SPASS MEHREENS!!"

Ive read Baneblade as well, found it to be be quite good .

The Gaunt books are excellent. They would make a good cable tv series.:)

The one thing missing from Warhammer especially the 40,000 is hope. 10,000 years warfare, with no end in sight. Unending tragedy.

The one thing missing from Warhammer especially the 40,000 is hope. 10,000 years warfare, with no end in sight. Unending tragedy.

Super Fans would argue that that is the point, there is no hope, only war.

I've often found that most arguments in Warhammer are dead-ended by: "Because, Grim Dark."

While I really like the fluff of WH40K, well, most of it, you're right in that there is sod all hope, there's just war and grim dark, and the only victory the sorry Guardsmen gets is that perhaps they don't get killed in the first 15 minutes of combat.

Being an ex-Imperial Guard player, one thing that really bugs me about the background is this God (Emperor-) awful fluff about Imperial Guard regiments being raised to 5000 men-strong units, being packed into a star-ship and flung into space to fight somewhere, normally across the galaxy, to never see their home again and who are basically going to die to a man in a single campaign.

It's just illogical to me, at least to my mind. You can't get any sort of human story or character out of something like that, not to mention the actual logistical issues of running a military like that.

However, that being said: Because Grim Dark.

They should have some marine on marine gay love to lighten things up.

This being 40K however, at least one of said marines will get his face eaten by a genestealer.

Because Grim Dark.

I thought that the war was a tool for keeping the masses under control by focusing outward to a common enemy.

It's just illogical to me, at least to my mind. You can't get any sort of human story or character out of something like that, not to mention the actual logistical issues of running a military like that.

However, that being said: Because Grim Dark.

I always get the impression that most of the Imperial Guard and the Soviet army in Enemy at the Gates would be pretty evenly matched, although each guardsman does at least get his own gun. That said, in recent times the fluff has changed slightly to suggest that they're at least competent soldiers.

Although I can't really go into the strengths and weaknesses of the 40k world here, one of the challenges of writing in that setting is keeping the sense of gloom without becoming absurd.