Secret Santa 4 Discuss/ Request

hopewrites

Crochet Streamer
Huzza for round 4!!

Lets use this thread to put in our requests, chatter about why we love this game/workshop/challenge, and dither about whether or not we will be writing or spectating *cheeky grin*

Please have requests in by the end of July, so that assignments can be sent first of August. Lets plan on having all of August to write up a full story for our assignments, which will be delivered (all going well) the first week of September. A week for reading and then I'll put up the guessing thread.

for my sanity please format your requests as follows:
I would love a story about [what you what]

in ether a single post or an obvious paragraph in your post (bolding and large font encouraged)

Guidelines:)
From the first we have set a goal of 1k words, just so that a full story could be realized, but there has never been a word limit (min or max) so however many words it takes to tell the story to your satisfaction (realizing you have a month to write it)

for those who would like to volunteer a second entry, ether because a request tickles your fancy, or you are the kind of go-get-er that likes to write extras (or because you want to see if you can throw people off by having two entries, you devious dog you) I'll gladly accept them anytime before the End of August.
Second entries are a gamble you submit at your own risk (of writing something that isnt needed), we always seem to need a few, but I'll only use them if they are needed. Assigned writers get first dibs on requests.

In September I'll post up a snippet of each submitted entry (even the spares) so we can guess voice. Accolades may be given to "most recognizable voice" and "least recognizable voice" so you can write to be heard or hidden as you chose :) that's all part of the fun of this little workshop.

I'll do my best to answer any questions I havent addressed in the OP, and I'm sure if I'm out someone else will probably step up with any answers I dont get to in a hurry.

OH! Contact info. Once you've requested a story, please PM me your email address so I can send you your assignment and then later, your story. :)
If you dont want to be emailed PM me and we'll work out how to get you your story :)

I WOULD LOVE A STORY ABOUT A GROUP OF PEOPLE WHO FIND SOMETHING AND THEN DISAGREE ABOUT WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT. ANY GENRE, NO RESTRICTIONS.

I hope that was clear enough. I've repeated my request from last time because (if memory serves) I don't think anybody had a chance to get to it.

E-mail address sent.

I would love a story about a band of misfits who accidentally gain possession of a priceless object, and the chaos that ensues.

Actually, I might have to write that story, myself. :D

You are correct, Victoria, your story did not make it in last time. Try, try again!

I'd really like to take part again as I really enjoyed the last two, but at the moment time is really all consuming. I might see if things have improved in a week or so, if you have not started, but I have the horrible feeling I'm going to be sitting this one out. :(

Hmmm.

Depends how well my editing is going...

This would be the editing I was meant to start about two weeks ago.... :rolleyes:

I WOULD LIKE A FLINTLOCK FANTASY, WITH AN EVIL OVERLORD

I, as well, have enlarged my request from last round...now only if there was someone who may or may not have started said project??!!

I love this Secret Santa thing. I've been busting out a lot of stories lately so the idea of doing another Santa, is less and less daunting.

Thanks again Hope, I will PM you my email

(also, DEO, don't forget to wear a flotation device...that would be a long trip down the river without them)

D'oh! I would've done this one but I'm due edits back from both publishers in July/August. Somebody give me a prod for the next one and I'm in.

Guidelines:)
From the first we have set a goal of 1k words, just so that a full story could be realized, but there has never been a word limit (min or max) so however many words it takes to tell the story to your satisfaction (realizing you have a month to write it)
Hi, Hope. <waves>

One a scale of 0 to 10, where 10 is as clear as the view from a cloudless sunlit mountain top with a 360 degree vista, and 0 is blindfolded under a thick black hood, half a mile down a disused coal mine on a moonless night, this scores about a 4. If the story can be any length, what is the 1K 'goal' all about? If I write a 4K short story do I score four goals?

for those who would like to volunteer a second entry, ether because a request tickles your fancy, or you are the kind of go-get-er that likes to write extras (or because you want to see if you can throw people off by having two entries, you devious dog you) I'll gladly accept them anytime before the End of August.

Second entries are a gamble you submit at your own risk (of writing something that isnt needed), we always seem to need a few, but I'll only use them if they are needed. Assigned writers get first dibs on requests.

Visibility has dropped to a 2. As you know... alas I don't, and I've tried reading parts of earlier threads (is this the second in a row Mouse has run away from like a... er, mouse?) It would be great if someone wrote up the main premise of how this worked so a link could be provided to newbies as to the mechanism.

1/ Those who wish to participate request a story. Got that.
2/ They PM their e-mail address to the organiser. Can't we all PM to each other anyway, so why does the organizer need an e-mail address?
3/ I'm guessing we get an assignment from the organiser to provide a story to one of the other requesters. Sounds good :)
4/ We can write a second story at our own risk. No. Here I'm lost. Do we just pick one at random? Do we ask for a second story assignment from the organiser? Why are some second stories needed? Do we get to pick the request we are fulfilling in a second story?

Hey Jon, you have the hang of it. We all request a story, as you see above, the moderator (Hope this round) shuffles the requests and emails them to the participants. We then write the story (min 1000 words, no real max), email them to Hope. She posts the start of each story at the end, we all guess who wrote them, get them all wrong and laugh. We then get to read the complete story that we requested.

The reason for the extras that Hope brought up is because there is always someone who volunteers but doesnt write a story. (i have entered all 3 times but only got my requested 1 time!) It is so everyone gets Something as a story.

Hope that helps

I've packed before -- it's highly overrated. Everything you want to take with you is stuff you use every day anyway, so why bother packing until the morning you leave?

Now, if I can just convince Mrs Overlord that packing is highly overrated, should be started at the last minute, and should never get in the way of writing...:)

Back