If strangers talked to everybody like they talk to writers

Those are brilliant. I'm sure we can come up with some others.

"I build houses."

"I have a great idea for a house. You build it, and we'll split the money."

"I'm a brain surgeon."

"Do you have to go to school for that?"

"I'm an architect."

"I'd like to design buildings, but I don't have the time."

"I'm an artist."

"Here's a happy face I drew. Could you critique it for me?"

I know it isn't a binary decision (the difference between amateur and professional writers is a continuum, not a cliff) but perhaps one ought to make the distinction. Example: me. I'm not at all sure that I have the skill or talent to be a professional writer, but I'd like to be; in the meantime, I'm trying to improve my skills as an amateur.

Also, I think that so far in this thread we have really been referring to fiction writers. The vast majority of professional writers (he says without any evidence!) are probably the people who write commercial material; flyers, press releases, product descriptions and the like. Not difficult, you say? Try doing it, then.

"A Humanitarian? Why that's wonderful, there can never be too many humans in my opinion, why just the other day I met one that was so nice ...."

"Oh a Veterinarian, how exciting! Tell me, do you have any strays I could take home?"

"An Archeologist? You know, I've always wondered, Where do you guys come up with these lost civilizations? I'm always hearing of people finding lost cities or dinosaurs in their back gardens, but no matter how often I till it, the only thing that comes out of there are vegetables. I'd love your take on it. Oh! Better yet, why not come by for a barbeque some time and you can poke around yourself! I'm sure you'd find it fascinating."

*snigger*