Marketing question...

Anne,

I've had a quick look on your Amazon page. I would suggest you have selected the wrong categories when you published to Amazon. Only one of them has got enough traction for them to actually show, which is book 1.

You need to have another look at them, and swap at least one to a SF related field. (Say SF > Military - which should capture the War one).

In other words, you're stocking the books on the wrong shelves... ;)

While you're doing that, also have a look at your keyword searches as well. They can also help drive traffic to you.

Anne,

I've had a quick look on your Amazon page. I would suggest you have selected the wrong categories when you published to Amazon. Only one of them has got enough traction for them to actually show, which is book 1.

You need to have another look at them, and swap at least one to a SF related field. (Say SF > Military - which should capture the War one).

In other words, you're stocking the books on the wrong shelves... ;)

While you're doing that, also have a look at your keyword searches as well. They can also help drive traffic to you.

Thanks for this advice!! I am going to see what I can do on Monday to alter the categories. I am not sure how to fix it but I will have a go after the week-end traffic.

I don't know where to put this post. But I was just googling my series and found a page discussing my last novel and it was saying that someone had pirated it from another site:

http://www.jodyjelas.com/libri-2692-3264-the_empire_book_six_of_seeds_of_a_fallen_empire/

This is upsetting. Help! How can I protect my work from piracy? Is it too late? I really am just a writer, and I have no idea how to market my work so that it's not getting stolen and used by other web sites.

This is upsetting. Help! How can I protect my work from piracy?

You can't - unfortunately, it's a fact of life on the internet, and it's likely to prove far more of a stress trying to remove it as piracy sites are usually hosted where it's difficult to apply the law.

The only comfort I can suggest is that if people are actively searching piracy sites for books, they are not looking to buy in the first place. And there remains the slight possibility that if someone does like what you've written, you might convert them into a buyer for your others.

On the terms and conditions page of the site they reference in that forum, there is a form for reporting copyright infringement. Not that they will likely listen, but it's a start and will at least show you've followed their guidance for if you need to take it further.

Re: the categories, as I recall you need to click into each book on the Amazon book shelf and about half way down you will see the options. Navigate through them until you find fitting headings.

You can always file a DMCA take down order for copyright material that you find online. Generally internet hosts are pretty good with taking things down. Contact the site and request its removal - issue a DMCA take down order if they refuse (or don't get back to you within 1-2 weeks). Otherwise I wouldn't stress yourself over it.

You can put a "Thank you for buying and supporting the reading industry etc.." in the front of the book if you want (similar to how films have a thank you now - note the whole "don't steal" at the front doesn't work - films tried that and it didn't work).

1) DMCA is evil, gives too much power without due process, it's for mega corps. No-one ever should be able to force removal of content without a court process.
2) It's USA stupid law. Doesn't apply elsewhere.

Unskippable anti piracy messages on DVDs etc don't stop piracy and insult the legitimate purchaser.

I don't know where to put this post. But I was just googling my series and found a page discussing my last novel and it was saying that someone had pirated it from another site:

http://www.jodyjelas.com/libri-2692-3264-the_empire_book_six_of_seeds_of_a_fallen_empire/

This is upsetting. Help! How can I protect my work from piracy? Is it too late? I really am just a writer, and I have no idea how to market my work so that it's not getting stolen and used by other web sites.
Bit rough that the administrator of the website posted the link!