Great Original Anthologies?

J-Sun

I started to post this in Classic SF but I only want to emphasize classics rather than restrict it exclusively to that. But, for this thread, I'm curious about original anthologies exclusively - not reprint anthologies or collections or magazines or whatever - Dangerous Visions (1967) is the go-to example, despite its atypical style. There is a thread that touches on this topic, but is focused on then-current stuff and allows for reprints as long as they're recent, so wasn't quite what I'm talking about. So what original anthologies strike Chronners as the great ones?

The Orbit series by Damon Knight pops right into mind...I had a number of these, and the stories were amazing!

Black Water ed. Alberto Manguel
Blast Off ed. Harry Harrison

Hitmouse, the Manguel is a great anthology but it didn't have any new stories. It contained nothing but reprints.

J-Sun: Are you looking strictly for s.f. or including fantasy and/or horror?

Randy M.

The Orbit series by Damon Knight pops right into mind...I had a number of these, and the stories were amazing!

Good one - I don't think I've ever read one directly, but I've read a lot of stories from that series in reprint anthologies. The late 60s-70s were a golden age for the original anthology series, as opposed to the singletons that may or may not have a sequel or two - Terry Carr had the Universe series (I have read one of those) and Silverberg and Delany and others had their own series.

Hitmouse, the Manguel is a great anthology but it didn't have any new stories. It contained nothing but reprints.

The Harrison is a reprint, too.

J-Sun: Are you looking strictly for s.f. or including fantasy and/or horror?

Well, I'm looking strictly for SF but it's possible someone could mention a fantasy/horror that would appeal to me and, while I have a personal interest, the thread would probably be more useful for more people if it included F/H so I guess anything's fair game.

Here's a few with Stephen Goldin as associate editor:

There's also Roy Torgenson's two original series, CHRYSALIS for sf, and OTHER WORLDS for fantasy.

The Star Science Fiction Stories series, edited by Frederik Pohl in the 1950's, was groundbreaking.

I liked the Universe series, edited by Terry Carr in the 1970's and 1980's.

For horror, an outstanding one-shot was Dark Forces (1980), edited by Kirby McCauley.

Back