Star Wars VII Cast Announced

I don't know how I feel about it. After the prequels, I'm not enthused about further Star Wars movies. What it has going for it is the recurrence of the original cast.

The only reservation is that it's an incredibly tight window for filming and production - not a lot of time to ensure the script is the strongest, really.

Hi,

And the one thing I'm thinking about the new movie? Please don't be another twelve year old boy jedi saving the galaxy!!!

(Also nice to see the old guys back but somehow I can't see them doing any of the heavy lifting in the fight scenes.)

Cheers, Greg.

From the casting announcement, it looks like there will be far too few female and non-white human characters though (even if Abrams did announce that there is another "major female role" to be cast).

That is a real bugbear because they have a chance to make a diverse cast of human characters (let's leave the alien races out of this) and we get the usual "majority white males with a token female and non-white" casting so far?

I do hope it's the Thrawn trilogy with Von Sydow as Thrawn. He would be perfect for the role. Does anyone have any idea about the story?

Ah, my good old countryman Max von Sydow. Yeah, he's a very good actor.

I guess it could be seen as a bad sign that they rely on the old trio (Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford as Luke, Leia and Han, respectively). One of the flaws of the Prequels was that they relied too much on OT imagery, in my opinion.
On the other hand, they are beloved characters, so I understand the decision, and I think they are great, for the most part, so I don't think it can be too bad? Well, not as long as they work on the story instead of relying on these three to carry the movie too much.

I guess there may be hope for the Sequel trilogy.

Episode III was the best of the lot, in my opinion. Therefore I have hopes for the new trilogy.
Respectfully, I disagree. I think it does have some very serious plot flaws, just like Episodes I and II. At most, it is the best of the Prequels, but personally, I am not even sure about that. It fails to tie up the story with the Original Trilogy in a particularly plausible way.

But the sequels start under a new regime, and with a relatively clean slate, so with a good script by a good screenwriter, it could definitely work.

From the casting announcement, it looks like there will be far too few female and non-white human characters though (even if Abrams did announce that there is another "major female role" to be cast).

That is a real bugbear because they have a chance to make a diverse cast of human characters (let's leave the alien races out of this) and we get the usual "majority white males with a token female and non-white" casting so far?
Agreed, and the non-white Mace Windu wasn't really very fleshed out. As far as the G-canon (movies) were concerned, he was pretty much just Samuel L. Jackson as a Jedi master with a unique lightsaber colour.
I think more human diversity than Episodes I-VI would have been great.

I guess it could be seen as a bad sign that they rely on the old trio (Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford as Luke, Leia and Han, respectively). One of the flaws of the Prequels was that they relied too much on OT imagery, in my opinion.
On the other hand, they are beloved characters, so I understand the decision, and I think they are great, for the most part, so I don't think it can be too bad? Well, not as long as they work on the story instead of relying on these three to carry the movie too much.

I believe that including the original trilogy's cast (along with writer Kasdan) is a good sign that these movies will depart from the prequels mistakes and a return to a dirtier, more mystical and darker SW universe.

Agreed, and the non-white Mace Windu wasn't really very fleshed out. As far as the G-canon (movies) were concerned, he was pretty much just Samuel L. Jackson as a Jedi master with a unique lightsaber colour.
I think more human diversity than Episodes I-VI would have been great.

Respectfully disagree. Political correctness is no way to make a good movie (or a good anything else for that matter). This I believe has been part of the problems with both the Special Edition and the prequels. Having Greedo shoot first (as an example) diminished Han's bad-boy image, plus the introduction of a "democratically elected 14 year old Queen" in Ep I made the whole thing look silly.

I personally hope JJ et al are trying to make the best possible film rather than trying to make nice with any group of activists. As stated earlier, they should concentrate on the story!

Last edited:
I feel as though Max Von Sydow is in it to reflect some old time movie star ambiance like they had with Guinness (not to mention that he appeared in Flash Gordon, ironically fitting since it was the fact that the FG rights were unavailable that made Lucas go with SW). I wonder though if Peter O'Toole had lived, would they have sought him out instead given his connection to Guinness via Lawrence of Arabia.

No one puts Baby in a c..... uh, I mean... No one puts R2 in a box!