Tis grand altogether

Jo Zebedee

Aliens vs Belfast.
Supporter
In Ireland if someone you knew had a lovely big house, like a mansion, you'd say it was a grand place. And if you went somewhere fancier, you'd say it was even grander.

It's not just about the formality of place, a nice cup of coffee would be a grand cup, or a good day out is a grand day, altogether.

So, I have this:

Beyond the doors, a last corridor stretched, the walls flocked in deep crimson, the carpet pure gold and, at the end, the final set of doors, even grander than the ones he was passing through, stood waiting. Gods, he was close.

Now, this would be fine if I was writing something in Ireland, but I'm fairly sure space people of the future aren't going to use an Irish coloquialism. What would you lovely people of the Chrons use instead? For now, I have more formal but I don't think that entirely sums up the holistic essence of something being "grand altogether."

In Ireland if someone you knew had a lovely big house, like a mansion, you'd say it was a grand place. And if you went somewhere fancier, you'd say it was even grander.

It's not just about the formality of place, a nice cup of coffee would be a grand cup, or a good day out is a grand day, altogether.

So, I have this:

Beyond the doors, a last corridor stretched, the walls flocked in deep crimson, the carpet pure gold and, at the end, the final set of doors, even grander than the ones he was passing through, stood waiting. Gods, he was close.

Now, this would be fine if I was writing something in Ireland, but I'm fairly sure space people of the future aren't going to use an Irish coloquialism. What would you lovely people of the Chrons use instead? For now, I have more formal but I don't think that entirely sums up the holistic essence of something being "grand altogether."

I'm inclined to feel that Grand is something i'd use in fantasy, or something set in the victorian era, or even before. As a friend of mine said, he'd expect it in something like The Great Gatsby. Of course, it would also depend on the POV character, but that is just my opinion.

In terms of an alternative, you could look at some of the synonyms for Grand. I might use something like Ostentatious, or monumental, extravagant, magnificent.

Just my 2c...

I think in the US both uses would be recognized. It seems to me, though, that the use in the description is the exact, literal meaning of the word: magnificent and imposing in appearance, size, or style. I'd stick with it.

So, I have this:

And isn't this an excellent bit of description for one who swears she can't write description (or for anybody at all, for that matter!)?

You are using the word perfectly. I hear and use that word often.

I can't see anything wrong with what you already have, although you could say 'even more grand' if you wanted.

You are all great, ty. I get to keep it! Grand altogether. ;)

And isn't this an excellent bit of description for one who swears she can't write description (or for anybody at all, for that matter!)?

You're lovely, thank you. Apparently I am no longer allowed to refer to myself as not being able to write description anymore or face the wrath of Leisha. :D

I'm fairly sure space people of the future aren't going to use an Irish coloquialism.

I'm not sure it is - certainly, its used commonly in Northern England, too, but I suspect that the French origins (grande) means it's probably a general part of the English language, rather than region-specific.

I think even grander is fine, but if it bothers then I'd suggest just doing the search for synonyms of grander and you'll get a flock of ideas.

I think certain colloquialisms never die they just shift around in the aether until someone brings them back into good standing again.

I'm not sure it is - certainly, its used commonly in Northern England, too, but I suspect that the French origins (grande) means it's probably a general part of the English language, rather than region-specific.

And generally there is no reason that any of our current language, slang, accents or grammar will apply to space people of the future, so what does it matter? Use what you want to use I say. We have a space person of the future who has a broad Scottish accent. Because we say he does.

I don't see why there couldn't be any Irish colloquialisms in the future in space, but even so, I don't think the Irish have a monopoly on "grand". Keep it. :)

Using "grand" as an Irish colloquialism is like the way the English use "brilliant" and Americans say "cool." The words each have a common non-colluquial meaning which is the same everywhere.

And I agree with Glisterspeck, that the way you are using it in context, springs, it's perfectly correct in terms of the more traditional meaning.

Using "grand" as an Irish colloquialism is like the way the English use "brilliant" and Americans say "cool." The words each have a common non-colluquial meaning which is the same everywhere.

And I agree with Glisterspeck, that the way you are using it in context, springs, it's perfectly correct in terms of the more traditional meaning.

That's exactly it - everyone uses grand but we use it in a slightly different context. But it works here - yay!

Hi,

I don't have a problem with grand though I might use magnificent. But do you mean the walls were flecked with gold?

Cheers, Greg.

And then a new kettle of fish appears... ;)

I meant flocked - as in thick, tactile wallpaper - anyone else find it confusing because I did wonder at the time... :)

Thanks all!

The same logic applies to Space People of the Future that applies to Orcs, or to Pseudo-Medieval Fantasy Folk. You write for the current audience. Maybe you throw in some different cadences, a verbal tic here and there, but otherwise you use 21st century English.

Donworryaboudit

Hi,

Wow! I learn something new every day. The only other version of flock outside of birds that I knew was from chemistry where its a term used for precipitates settling out of a solution. (From floccus I believe.) Maybe it's more commonly used in your part of the world.

Cheers, Greg.

It's flock wallpaper because I expect people usually go there to... er... curry favour.

:eek:;):)

Back