Sekrit Santa 33 1/3 -- The Guessing Thread

My last sekrit santa was a recycled one from an old short about two characters who Mouse liked from my trilogy. I wouldn't have used it for anyone else but thought she'd enjoy it (especially cos there were mentions of bums in it.:D) I don't think anyone ever minds.

Well, Glisterspek, Tywin and Chrisp guessed mine. Well done!

I had a great time writing this story. It was for Perp "Robots vs Dragons". I had two ideas for it. The futuristic space one which I went with and then I had a goofy idea about intergalactic wrestling..in style of TMNT when they did that sequence.

I went with the first and loved writing it. I actually left it so I could continue it and expand from the planet to "Steel city' with their counterpart there. What will happen next? Who knows but I might find out some day....

Attachments

• Paradise.doc
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,359
Well, Glisterspek, Tywin and Chrisp guessed mine. Well done!

I had a great time writing this story. It was for Perp "Robots vs Dragons". I had two ideas for it. The futuristic space one which I went with and then I had a goofy idea about intergalactic wrestling..in style of TMNT when they did that sequence.

I went with the first and loved writing it. I actually left it so I could continue it and expand from the planet to "Steel city' with their counterpart there. What will happen next? Who knows but I might find out some day....

And what a great story it is too, I really enjoyed it thanks Ratsy

I can't believe nobody's noticed Perp's Easter eggs. I posted those sections particularly because of them....

...walks off, whistling off-key...

Don't you be eating all the chocolate, now. You'll make yourself sick -- and worse, I'll be very upset.

I can't believe nobody's noticed Perp's Easter eggs. I posted those sections particularly because of them....

...walks off, whistling off-key...

Hope
Zebra
Chris
Mouse?

Did I miss any, was springs thrown in there at some point? Many more? ;)

Or was it?

Can't point out any more because I am too busy eating chocolate. (You'd be surprised how much I can eat....

The Most Stealthy award goes to Phyrebrat, who didn't get guessed by anyone. They will all feel silly when the book comes out.

Muaaaah hah hah hah haaaaah. You know, I felt a little bit down about the fact that the last two SS's we did, I was guessed quickly. This redresses that somewhat ;) Waitaminute...did you say published? You must know something I don't.

The Fastest Publication award likely goes to Remedy, however, whose story has been picked up for the Malevolence anthology. I disavow any knowledge of the process. :p

This makes me so happy! Remedy, I absolutely loved my story. I really did. I thought it was so snappy and witty, and I marvelled at how concise you were. I'm really happy it got headhunted. bum-tish

Bloody hell!

I'm flabbergasted I got that many right! (And chuffed as well)

Nice one Perp, and thanks for not guessing mine.

Well, that will teach Phyre for copying from me... :D

I did know number 10, I think Tywin had posted the start of that on crits, or somewhere before? But because I knew it for outside reasons I didn't enter it.

I would totally have called that out if I'd seen it in crits, and taken the credit for cleverness. And what's all this about copying. A happy coincidence, you mean, right? :p

Okay so...I need to humbly apologise to Hope. I'm so sorry you got a barely-started story. TDZ forwarded me your reaction which was touching - from the both of you - and as I said to TDZ at the time, if you liked it, I would finish it. I need to take a leaf from Remedy's book and write a fine tale in under 5k. I get into the story and before you know it, it's becoming a massive project. So I apologise. I think what I wrote you would probably constitute the first chapter! I do have the beats planned out for the entire story so we actually get to the dragons you requested.:eek:

Headstones was the first story I started for you, and when I realised it was going to be long I reined myself in and stopped. Started another one. Stopped that. Started a third and then, inter alia (with TDZ), I found out it was sort-of acceptable if I didn't finish it, so carried on with Headstones.

I even sent Mouse a message asking how you were with foul language because attached is the one I was going to go with. I was worried it as it has some very offensive language and opinions in, and you seem so nice on the forums I didn't want to upset you. Mouse disabused me of this notion and told me you would be fine. :D

Anyway, another great SS, all, and once again I am delighted to have been involved. I see the SS evolving in one of two ways. Stricter limits on word counts (to curb wafflers like me), or as a test ground for story ideas. I wonder how many of us will end up using stories that started as a SS story.

I'll be downloading the other stories that have been posted and reading them on the coach on the way to B-town on Friday.

(Warning, the attached file does have some bad language and opinions!)

pH

Attachments

• Chat Booth.pdf
    60.6 KB · Views: 216
Hey Phyre..that was really some good stuff. I know you have been talking about tone and voice in your work and you hit the nail on the head with this one. I believe that character 100%. It hinted at a Stephen King style to me but only hinted in all the good ways.

I think it was you who voted for me once in the 300 word story and said how much you loved the voicey-ness of my piece. Now it is my chance to throw it back at you.

I liked the way it diverted back and forth in thought like we all do when telling a story. Well done, and I would like to read on for sure. :)

I like the one I got and am glad you went with it. I look forward to reading the rest when it comes my way :)

I also didnt turn in a finished story in fact it stops rather abruptly, and since you are so kindly finishing mine, I think I ought to pay that forward and finish what I started. At least enough that it's not a cliff hanger.

Will post it then.

Hey Phyre..that was really some good stuff. I know you have been talking about tone and voice in your work and you hit the nail on the head with this one. I believe that character 100%. It hinted at a Stephen King style to me but only hinted in all the good ways.

I think it was you who voted for me once in the 300 word story and said how much you loved the voicey-ness of my piece. Now it is my chance to throw it back at you.

I liked the way it diverted back and forth in thought like we all do when telling a story. Well done, and I would like to read on for sure. :)

ratsy...wow. Thank you. I think that's the nicest thing I have heard said about anything I've produced. And you compared me to my second favourite author so I am now going to become an insufferable egotist :D

pH

I like the one I got and am glad you went with it. I look forward to reading the rest when it comes my way :)

I also didnt turn in a finished story in fact it stops rather abruptly, and since you are so kindly finishing mine, I think I ought to pay that forward and finish what I started. At least enough that it's not a cliff hanger.

Will post it then.

Ah, thanks hopewrites. I was petrified of a)offending you, or; b)boring you. Knowing the person receiving it is interested makes the writing so much more enjoyable :)

pH

Phyrebrat, since you're sticking your head back in here, how's that book coming along, hmm? :D

Oh, er...well I've not been doing any writing at all for about 2 weeks I think. Kids' exams and shows and all that. :eek:

But I did hear this from my cousin, Sean Bean;

pH

Attachments

• Sean Meme.jpg
    Sean Meme.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 158
Oh, I see. Well, yes, that explains it. :D

I know what you mean -- this time of year is extremely crazy with school stuff, here, too! I don't know why they save everything for May.

Since ratsy commented (not complained, although complaint would have been a comprehensible reaction) about not having received a piece:- a flintlock fantasy, with an evil overlord, I took it on myself to create one; slowly, as is my wont. Now, I approach the 6,000 post mark and have nothing on the boil suitable to be critiqued, I was wondering if putting up what I've done so far would be too impersonal?

Interesting thought. Since not all that many recognised my piece, that suggests my writing style is maturing into something a little less idiosyncratic. This could be good or bad, but it does mean I could consider collaborating with someone whose faults were different from my own. ;)

That sounds great Chrispy! I would love to see what you've come up with.

since he said "yes" I have no guilt throwing my hat in the same ring. *readies green pen*