Sekrit Santa 33 1/3 -- The Guessing Thread

It has a fluid-like form and gives plenty of sensory information in the description, and sets a tone immediately. That, for me, sets out a Victoria Silverwolf piece :)

I thought something along these lines, but Phyre has said it so much better than I would have.

As I have mentioned in the challenges before, your writing is just so smooth and readable, Victoria.

I'd also like to read the whole story, if you're putting it out there :)

I would like to read it all. It has grabbed my attention. Would you mind (or TDZ) sending it to me, please? I think you both have my email - it's the urbanshake one.

On that same subject, is there a way that we can see all of these stories in their entirety? The little teazers that were posted kind of made me feel frustrated because they cut off just when I get interested.

Generally, after it's done, anyone who wishes will put up an attached document with their story for everyone to read. Some hold off, having plans of submitting somewhere first.

I'll leave it up to the individuals to send their stories to anyone else, in the meantime. :)

Victoria, I've read the whole of your piece (well, I would have, wouldn't I?) and, until you owned up to it, hadn't worked out whose it was. Of course, this might simply indicate that I'm useless at this game (which is true), but even should this be the case I don't feel that camouflaging your personal style is the critical. The idea is to produce something that the other will appreciate, which you did, because I did:).

It was fascinating to see what you did with the idea.

In technology - especially music production (as far as my experience goes, so Chrispenycate should probably weigh in on this to correct me) - a bus is an analogue signal route or path through which a sound signal travels. In plural these are written (in my manual anyway) as 'busses'. Having said that I doubt it was intended in that way :)

pH

Indeed, Mr brat, any connection which has multiple sources, as, for example the main mix outputs, solo or auxilliary sends in an audio console is referred to as a 'bus', plural 'busses' (slightly less sibilance than the 'buses', closer to 'buzzes' as it's where the lighting interference is often picked up) But you also have data busses and address busses in computers – Probably derived from 'busbars'.

since most people have found my confession, I'd like to ask what kept mine from sounding like me?
My MC had an interesting voice to me, not my usual, and I'm wondering if that was it.

I'm pretty certain I would have recognized yours, hope, if I hadn't known already. It was a different voice, but still your style. :)

Oh the middle is solidly me, no question in my mind about that. (A few of my alter-ego's took over the support characters, so I know I'm in there.)

Hmmm...having read the story written for me, the style reminds me of hope...but she guessed every story and author except one, which means...hope wrote 7, not 2

I think everyone has had about enough time for the calculating, so I will post the list tomorrow. Final guesses in, please! :)

I won't even hazard guesses. I know a few have been deciphered and admitted and the others I have no clue!!! as per usual.

This is such a good exercise though and this being my third one, I can see the growth being forced to write based on someone's suggestions (sometimes broad and sometimes fairly specific)

Thanks again TDZ for hosting this event (even though I didn't get my story...again) :)

All right.

Pinching other people's analyses, and well - guessing actually – since I can't seem to get into the three hundred word contest without clearing this.

chrispy……………#2
DEO ……………… #9
Glisterspeck….…#5
hope……….………#7
Perp…………..……#6
Phyrebrat…….…#3
ratsy………….……#8
Remedy…….…… #5
Victoria…….………#1

All righty then -- the one and only, true and actual lineup was as follows:

(drum roll....)

1. Victoria
2. Perp
3. chrispy
4. Phyrebrat
5. Glisterspeck
6. DEO
7. hope
8. ratsy
9. Remedy
10. Tywin

The Best Guesser was (da da da da) Perp, with five right!

Chrispy and Glisterspeck were tied for a close second, with four right.

Everyone got at least one guess right, not including their own story.

The winner of the Most Transparent prize was, of course, Miss Victoria, who was guessed by nearly everybody.

The Most Stealthy award goes to Phyrebrat, who didn't get guessed by anyone. They will all feel silly when the book comes out. :D

The Fastest Publication award likely goes to Remedy, however, whose story has been picked up for the Malevolence anthology. I disavow any knowledge of the process. :p

Last edited:
Long standing and venerable tradition apparently demands that full length versions should now be Maida Valeable for the delectation (or otherwise) of all and (very) sundry; far be it from me to challenge this situation.

And, oh dear, another venerable tradition approaches and I have nothing prepared for critique

Attachments

• Gold.rtf
    22.3 KB · Views: 185
  • No pain without gain.rtf
    7.4 KB · Views: 201
My guesses were way off, even after all the time spent analysing - I'll stick to just getting pulled into the lovely stories with a vacant smile on my face :)

Congrats to Perp for being the master detective! I only got Victoria and Tywin -

Tywin! - I'm so sorry, I meant to come on here and say how much I enjoyed Space Vikings. Thank you! You must finish it please, or turn it into a novel - I could have kept on reading it for hours :) The characters leapt out from the pages and made me want to go swing a sword around my garden. I'm sure you've created a series there!

I will read the full versions of others soon, I'm looking forward to that, then I'll come back with some comments/reviews.

I'm still on a high after being invited to join the Malevolence line-up, thanks again Dusty for your ninja-agent skills, and for organising this whole thing! :D
Don't know if I can share my story on here, but you should be able to read the shiny version in Malevolence!

Phyrebrat - Your kind words on here after reading my story were much appreciated, thank you very much :)

Glister - As I said, I really loved Rockette 2000. Thank you for that, I'm going to read it again.

Well, that will teach Phyre for copying from me... :D

I did know number 10, I think Tywin had posted the start of that on crits, or somewhere before? But because I knew it for outside reasons I didn't enter it.

Yes, well actually for "Space Vikings" I took the intro to a story I already had (with plain old terrestrial Vikings) and switched some of the details around. The original of that intro was up on the critiques section of the forums last year.

I hope you don't mind that I didn't generate something complete new for you here. I had a story written about a guy living in a space age society that revolved around professional gladiatorial combat, but I got to the end and it was just crap.

I've thought about converting over the rest of that story to the Sci-Fi genre because honestly it does seem more interesting, but there are some logistical issues involved since the remainder of that story involves them setting sail and one of their members going overboard and returning later. I've been thinking air locks, an escape pod, maybe it happens when they visit an alien world... I don't know, but if I get it hammered out I will send you a copy.