Magic Systems

RebeccaTheWrecker

Hi all!
Newcomer here - so not sure if this is in the right place or if it has been covered extensively before. Let me know if it has!

I was just wondering about preferred magic systems in fantasy novels - do you find that 'hard' magic systems with strict rules and limitations works well or are you more of a 'soft' magic fan where the magic is unexplained. To me, a hard magic system is something like Fullmetal Alchemist, while soft magic would be Tolkein.

I just ask because I'm in the process of creating mine at the moment, and I'm unsure how much time I should put into planning the system. I have a very broad understanding of how it works, and there is definitely a price for using magic, but I'm not sure if I want to go too much further into the logistics or leave it a bit mysterious. As it is now, magic can be harnessed from the magic source in each world - how magic manifests itself in each person and how it is harnessed differs from person to person. I'm not sure if I should make up strict limits as to how it can be harnessed (from the earth, etc) or leave it as is.

Let me know what you guys prefer in stories or if you have any other suggestions, let me know!

There have been threads on the subject but I'm on phone so can't go searching.

My reading preferences are down the middle -- a system must have rules of some sort and the magic can't be limitless. But too rigid a system becomes a little boring to read, almost as if I have to learn and remember all about the system to truly get the story. As if I'm at school, in other words.

My view is that the magic should have hard rules. The characters in the story and the readers might not know what these rules are, but the author should. This helps provide some structure to how the magic is used and can help avoid the author ending up using the magic in a manner that makes it a plot hole escape solution. It can also prevent characters or magic becoming steadily stronger and stronger for no good reason as the story progresses (ergo the arch mage who struggles to summon a fireball in the first book is suddenly able to throw down whole storms of fireballs for no good reason).

Structure helps provide a backbone to the magical system. Take Lord of the Rings; we don't get explained the limits nor ranges of magic, but its pretty clear that there are rules and laws of magic and what it can and can't do imposed over the characters.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of convoluted magic systems à la Sanderson. They seem too artificial to me. On the other hand there have to be some limits. If someone can just "do magic" in a way that is never explained the temptation is too great to misuse it as deus ex machina. I think a good way is to limit characters to a very specific type of magic. An understanding of where the magic comes from and what it's cost is will be useful though, even if it's not fully spelled out.

This probably amounts to hard but simple.

I told my story in first person by a new practioner. It meant the readers only needed his understanding of the magic and its rules. The same happens in close third.

That way I have some rules but if one seems to be broken it comes down to lack of character understanding.

One problem I have with some fantasy novels is that they rely too much on a Dungeons & Dragons approach to magic, rather than treat it as a powerful, mysterious, supernatural force - as it has been historically by humanity.

I seem to remember reading a blog post by an author recently that dismissed magic systems as trying to create "fake science". I have to admit, I agree. If a fantasy novel has a character running around shooting energy bolts from their hands all the time, they may as well have a blaster.

2c. :D

I think there is room for both as long as the novel is consistent. Unknown magic powers is just as cool as a structure magic system...as long as whatever 'rules' the author decides on remain throughout.

I'm using fairly easy going about it all - I wouldn't actually baulk at the blaster hands. But! I need to be convinced about its impact on the character and others around as well as just the world.

Also, making it too convuluted mostly doesn't turn me on. Mistborn pushed my limits on that one.

Huh. I was going to come on and say I like soft magic -- I'm not too worried about how things work, but actually I truly loved the magic system in Mistborn. I liked Poison Study, too, where there's a coherent and limited magic system.

I guess it's like barrett says -- it kind of comes down to whether the author keeps things consistent or not, and whether I get drawn in. Good writing and interesting characters can keep me involved in most things. Magic systems that are clumsily introduced make me want to tear my hair out (like endless heraldry does too).

Now I think about it, one of the things I liked about the Seven Kingdoms books was the complexity of the magic system. So, er, I guess put me down for hard.

As the author, you have to know the strengths, the limitations, the energy sources and sinks of your magic system.

Quite unfairly you shouldn't tell your readership any more than they absolutely need to know Ninety five percent of that world building, that research won't give you a single extra word in your manuscript. Just like my pages of second order differential equations calculating a rendezvous in Jupiter orbit between two ships of different origins, no-one wants to know (well, almost nobody. A sufficient majority to render the 'interested' irrelevant) the details, except you. I am extremely cautious of magic which is powerful enough to transcend all standard controls, and I feel the same way about technology which ignores certain basic rules.

From a personal point of view I find magic which obeys certain laws, works reliably and repeatedly, and holds to an easily recognisable 'system' just another technology, boring. To be worthy of of its name magic should be unpredictable, always incomprehensible.

I'm fairly easy either way, to be honest. The only thing I dislike, that springs to mind, is the mystic nonsense of 'he reached deep within himself for the power he knew dwelled in the sanctum of his heart' or suchlike.

I also think magic should be balanced, there should be a price to pay, whether that's pain, tiredness, or making sacrifices to fickle gods.

Like everything else in writing I think the only stress should be on it all making sense for the story. That means if you are going to introduce blaster hands as a major turning point in the action then blaster hands should be expected by the reader. Their limits and power might be in question and allow for some surprise when used but it should not come up as though the reader suddenly remembers oh yea I can blaster hand the *******.

In other words it should not be like the Spanish inquisition.

So I think what I'm taking away from this is that everyone has different opinions on what works best. I think I'll keep mine a mix of the two. I know what every rule and limitation is anyway, even if I don't put it all in the novel.

I don't need to know the rules and regulations behind your magic system, but I do need to believe in it's use. When and why your characters use magic should have some consistency with when and why your character doesn't use magic.

If your protagonist can throw fireballs from his hands. When captured by the antagonist, why doesn't he use them to break free from his cell? as a quick example.

My personal preference is magic with hard, simple rules. I like the magic system in Pat Rothfuss' king killer chronicle, hard rules but quite complex. My favourite example is in the anime "Darker than Black", I'm which a group of people with powers appear, but each time they use them they are compelled to pay a price. For example, one character can fly but each time he does he must break q finger, another can time travel but each time she does she gets younger. Simple rules that make for some interesting characters in difficult situations.

I don't like "magic systems." If it becomes too systematic it begins to look like science. If the rules are hard and fast, then where is the mystery? Once you do that, you essentially tame the magic, you domestic it. It might as well be arts and crafts.

Didn't "the Force" become a lot less interesting when Lucas brought in midi-chlorians?

Limits and costs, yes, but they are not quite the same thing as hard and fast rules. If the costs are unpredictable, magic becomes more dangerous.