The Martian, by Andy Weir

Extollager

0804139024.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX190_PC__.jpg

I just finished this thriller and wondered if anyone wanted to talk about it. I've never read anything that was so hard-science in a science fiction context. So far as I could tell, the engineering stuff was plausible. The psychological side seemed taken for granted -- that, basically, the astronaut marooned on Mars for over an earth year would grit his teeth, keep busy, watch old TV recordings for recreation, etc. Similarly I had doubts about the consequences for the body of what I understand to be the prolonged exposure to cosmic rays during a voyage to Mars, etc. I wasn't too troubled by these things because I took the book to be, in intention, a thought experiment about how the engineering issues might play out in such a scenario -- coupled with the intention of writing a thriller. For me, then, the book was a real change of pace, and a success. I've been attracted to the idea of what Geoff Ryman calls "mundane" science fiction, and surely this was a spot-on example.

By the way, I owe it to the Wall Street Journal that I learned about this book, if I'm not mistaken.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304558804579375161461671196

Some of y'all may have gut reactions against anything "Wall Street," but I like the Journal's weekly book reviews a lot. I'd rate their book section far above that of the New York Times, not that that is saying much. Tolkienists will be interested in the fact that Tom Shippey reviews for them quite often. He reviewed The Martian for them:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304428004579351000913706472

I read the free extract of this when I first heard about it and loved i ( I read that whilst it was undergoing rerelease and the full novel wasn't available). I was gutted I missed it at its self published price of 99 cents as now it's been picked up, the last time I checked it was £8.99 (!!!!)

It seemed increadibly compelling, making even planting potatoes interesting ( please read it before you judge that last sentence!).

I will certainly pick it up when it comes down in price a bit. It's certainly no reflection on the author as I'm dead set against paying that much these days regardless.

Not me, extollager, but I'm now aware of it, many thanks. It sounds good. I'm a bit Mars-out right now, but may turn to it later in the year.

If Chronsfolk are catching up with this book, here's a place to discuss it.

I bought it at the current high price, because it presents a scenario that I'm struggling with in my current WIP-- a protagonist who is alone for long periods of time (so no dialog). I changed my WIP to 1st person partly because of it. It's also interesting that the book alternates between 1st person and 3rd person. A good example of how that can work successfully.
It's also a good book, and it's a good example of a book where the antagonist is circumstance or the environment, rather than a person or organization.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Exciting, well written (although I understand early versions were a bit ropey) and fun.

I made it about 20% of the way through. I heard it was all adventure and stranded bloke on Mars. Turns out it's a bit of that but it's mostly a dairy of a guy who's prattling on about how many calories he needs in a day and how long he can survive with various levels of water, seed, dirt, and fertilizer. Oh, and old TV shows. It might pick up again after that point, but I couldn't get through the seemingly endless iterations of "I need more calories, some quick maths, oh look, I've got an extra day... *next day* I need more calories, some quick maths, oh look, I've lost a day". It just grew tedious by that point in the book. Others are raving and it's being made into a movie, so there's that. For whatever that's worth.

I keep seeing this recommended, but I have concerns over how you can keep this kind of story going for an entire novel. It sounds like it has the potential to become very boring and repetitive.

I'm an English teacher, not an engineer or mathematician, but I really appreciated Weir's attempt to work out the issues of maintenance and survival on Mars. Bravo, Mr. Weir!

Read it last year on holiday and loved it.

He's not the ultimate man of so many survival stories but the mistakes he makes/smart stuff he does doesn't have you shouting at the book. The guy is smart and cross trained but you'd expect that on a Mars mission.

there are also flashbacks and scenes on earth about what went wrong that are particularly good for anyone who had a government job.

This is a good illustration of how different people like and hate different things. The details of what he had to deal with are what attract me to the book. I hate McGuyver type characters who can grab a paper-clip, a handful of sand, and a turkey baster and put together something that converts CO2 back into O2 without power.
To some people, the detail is tedious.

This is a good illustration of how different people like and hate different things. The details of what he had to deal with are what attract me to the book. I hate McGuyver type characters who can grab a paper-clip, a handful of sand, and a turkey baster and put together something that converts CO2 back into O2 without power.
To some people, the detail is tedious.

For me it wasn't the first set of details. Or the second. Or the third. It was the sheer tedium and repetition of it all.

Am currently reading this now and loving it. Some of the use of figures almost made my eyes glaze over - but I appreciate that it was all about calculating the chances of survival, and trying to beat and extend the odds in his favour. I easily kept on.

Personally, I think it's tremendous so far - a tense and fast-paced science fiction about humanity against the final frontier. Great use of humour, too.

Am currently about halfway through, and sincerely hoping that the quality keeps up.

EDIT:
mostly a dairy

Mark Wattney's POV takes up the first few chapters, then we start seeing others from Chapter 6 onwards...

Last edited:
I really loved this book. His use of POV was great and Watney felt like a real character. Loved the personality he brought to it...space pirate....ha

I still haven't seen the movie but it is one that I am actually looking forward to seeing after reading the book.