Prisoner - Warden relationship. 1200

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrett1987

I don't like the last paragraph, though i like what it's trying to portray i don't think i hit the right notes.
As always, don't hold back. I'm not going to break. :D
=======================
“Read ‘em and weep boys!” Tyr laughed, laying his cards down. The men around the table cursed.

“That’s the third time tonight you’ve shown kings. You’ve got to cheating,” one man moaned

“Bah, don’t be a sore loser. My lucks turned that’s all.” Tyr reached out and hooked his winnings.

“Still think it’s dodgy…” The man across from him muttered sourly.

Tyr ignored him and took a long swig from his mug. Life was good. He looked around the room with a smile on his face. Technically as a Warden he shouldn’t be drinking but nobody ever came down here and it wasn’t like he was busy, he only had one prisoner.

His eyes drifted to the items on the shelf. They had been taken from the prisoner when he’d been dragged in. They were fine pieces and Tyr suspected that the pack held even more treasures, though he hadn’t had a chance to check yet. He looked at his new cards and tried to hide a grimace. Maybe his luck was about to go the other way?

“Is anyone out there?” The cry was distant, coming from the cells.

Tyr laughed again, his luck was holding. “Sorry boys, duty calls!” He rose amidst the jeers and sauntered out of the guard room. “Some of us have jobs to do” he called out over his shoulder.

He turned the corner and walked down the dark corridor. The corridor was kept dark intentionally; he felt it added to the mood of the place. I mean, who had ever heard of a bright and warm dungeon? Some things had to have style or what was the point?

Walking slowly down the corridor, he dragged his baton along the wall as he walked and begun to hum. With those kinds of cards waiting for him, he was in no rush to get back. Besides, interacting with the prisoners was his favourite part of the job.

The occupied cell stood at the very end of the corridor. He drew closer, peering into the shadows, inside a man stood at the bars, looking like he’d had a fight with a horse and lost. His face was covered in more bruises than skin. The man was looked like a stiff breeze would blow him over. He was swaying a little, obviously still in pain. Tyr’s eyes narrowed in frustration. He preferred prisoners who hadn’t had their spirit broken yet.

Out of habit, Tyr’s eyes flicked to the low cell door, checking it was still secure. The door was only knee high. Watching prisoners crawl out their cells when their sentences were up was as pleasing a sight as you got down here. The knee high doors had been his own addition upon being made warden and he was proud of them. I mean what’s the point of working if you don’t have some fun with it?

“What do you want scum?” He growled.

Tyr knew his voice was nasally and made efforts to deepen it when talking to prisoners. Image was everything; the prisoners had to know who the boss was down here.

“I want to be released,” the prisoner replied, no sign of pain he must be in touched his voice.

“Oh you do, do you? Well why not! Let’s just let every criminal out onto the streets shall we? How well would that work out do you think? What do you think the Steward would say to that? Well done Tyr? Have a raise? No I don’t think so.”

The prisoner stared out at him, his rant having no visible effect. A heavy silence began to form and Tyr began to get uncomfortable. Prisoners usually yelled their innocence or made demands whenever they woke up in a cell. Maybe whatever had messed up this man’s face had messed up his brain too? It happened sometimes. Tyr had heard of a man who’d fallen beneath a carriage and been trampled. Afterwards he’d never spoken again, not a single damn word. Tyr shivered at the memory.

“Well? Anything else **** kicker?” he said, breaking the silence.

“When will I be released?”

Tyr relaxed a little, this was more like it. They always wanted to know when they were getting out. “Not till a Templar has arrived and heard your case. You’ve been a naughty boy though, trying to stowaway on a zeppelin.”

“I didn’t try to stowaway on a Zeppelin,” the prisoner shot back, eyes narrowing in anger.

Tyr smiled, much better, the predictable protest of innocence. Oh how he loved his job! Still, the man’s voice was odd. No emotion or heat in it was a bit strange.
“Cram it, that’s for the Templar to decide. Though I think you’ll be for the long drop, mark my words. Stowing on a zeppelin is a high offence.”
“I see. When will this Templar arrive?” the man asked calmly.
“Whenever he damn well wants,” Tyr said irritated. If he told a prisoner he was going to hang then he wanted a reaction. “His holyship doesn’t come at your beck and call. You just get yourself comfortable and wait. Either tomorrow or the day after someone will be along.”

The prisoner pressed himself against the bars and reached through the bars. “I have to get out of here.”

“Don’t touch me **** kicker,” Tyr said, stepping back in disgust and raised his baton. He chopped down at the outreached arm and grinned at the satisfying whack it made when it struck. The prisoner quickly withdrew his arm, pulling it close to his body and rubbed it while glaring out at him.

“There, now you’re starting to understand who’s in charge around here. You do as you’re told and we’ll get along fine.” Tyr sneered. “We got a warning about you but you don’t look so tough. Without those pretty guns you aren’t much to worry about.”

“My things, where are they?” the prisoner asked, still rubbing his arm.
“Don’t you worry, Steward’s rules are clear. Your things will be kept down the hall until sentencing. Once you’re found guilty your things will be sold and distributed to the poor as per the rules… minus a healthy commission of course. I’m not running a charity here!” Tyr laughed at his own joke.

“Will I be fed?” the prisoner whispered.

“Don’t think your lot deserve anything but rules are rules. I’ll bring some food along soon. Now shut up **** kicker I’ve got a game of cards on and don’t need to be walking back and forth to deal with the likes of you.”

Tyr stared at the prisoner making sure his message was clear. The prisoner for his part just stared blankly back, still rubbing that arm. Maybe he’d hit it harder than he thought? Oh well, the guilty scum will hang in a few days anyway, a bruised arm was the least of his problems. He turned away and strolled back up the corridor whistling a jaunty tune.

When the warden had left the corridor the prisoner moved to the corner of his cell and knelt, picking up a broken tile from the floor. He began to grind the tile along the floor sharpening it, while his hands ground the tile, his eyes stayed locked on the bars in front of him. If the warden had glanced into the cell at that point and seen the look on the prisoners face right then, he wouldn’t have been so quick to dismiss the danger.

[/Quote]
I don't like the last paragraph, though i like what it's trying to portray i don't think i hit the right notes.
As always, don't hold back. I'm not going to break. :D
=======================
“Read ‘em and weep boys!” Tyr laughed, laying his cards down. The men around the table cursed.

“That’s the third time tonight you’ve shown kings. You’ve got to
be?
cheating,” one man moaned
Full stop
“Bah, don’t be a sore loser. My lucks
luck's
Comma
that’s all.” Tyr reached out and hooked his winnings.

“Still think it’s dodgy…”
No capital (upper case)"T" (direct speech attribution)
The man across from him muttered sourly.

Tyr ignored him and took a long swig from his mug. Life was good. He looked around the room with a smile on his face. Technically
Comma
as a Warden he shouldn’t be drinking but nobody ever came down here and it wasn’t like he was busy,
Comma splice
he only had one prisoner.

His eyes drifted to the items on the shelf. They had been taken from the prisoner when he’d been dragged in. They were fine pieces and Tyr suspected that the pack held even more treasures, though he hadn’t had a chance to check yet. He looked at his new cards and tried to hide a grimace. Maybe his luck was about to go the other way?

“Is anyone out there?” The cry was distant, coming from the cells.

Tyr laughed again,
Comma splice
his luck was holding. “Sorry boys, duty calls!” He rose amidst the jeers and sauntered out of the guard room. “Some of us have jobs to do
Comma
” he called out over his shoulder.

He turned the corner and walked down the dark corridor. The corridor was kept dark intentionally; he felt it added to the mood of the place. I mean, who had ever heard of a bright and
Consider replacing the "and" with a comma.
warm dungeon? Some things had to have style or what was the point?

Walking slowly down the corridor, he dragged his baton along the wall as he walked and begun
It's "began", and it would be better to remove the repetition of "walk"s.
to hum. With those kinds of cards waiting for him, he was in no rush to get back. Besides, interacting with the prisoners was his favourite part of the job.

The occupied cell stood at the very end of the corridor. He drew closer, peering into the shadows,
Comma splice
inside a man stood at the bars, looking like he’d had a fight with a horse and lost. His face was covered in more bruises than skin. The man was
Without the "was"?
looked like a stiff breeze would blow him over. He was swaying a little, obviously still in pain. Tyr’s eyes narrowed in frustration. He preferred prisoners who hadn’t had their spirit broken yet.

Out of habit, Tyr’s eyes flicked to the low cell door, checking it was still secure. The door was only knee high. Watching prisoners crawl out
"of", but possibly that's his voice; like the "like2s that should really be "as if"s
their cells when their sentences were up was as pleasing a sight as you got down here. The knee-high doors had been his own addition upon being made warden and he was proud of them. I mean what’s the point of working if you don’t have some fun with it?

“What do you want
Comma
scum?” He growled.

Tyr knew his voice was nasally
nasal – adjective not adverb.
and made efforts to deepen it when talking to prisoners. Image was everything; the prisoners had to know who the boss was down here.

“I want to be released,” the prisoner replied,
As it is this is a comma splice; consider "no sign of the pain he must be in touching his voice."
no sign of pain he must be in touched his voice.

“Oh you do, do you? Well why not! Let’s just let every criminal out onto the streets
Comma
shall we? How well would that work out do you think? What do you think the Steward would say to that? Well done Tyr? Have a raise? No
Comma
I don’t think so.”

The prisoner stared out at him, his rant having no visible effect. A heavy silence began to form and Tyr began to get uncomfortable. Prisoners usually yelled their innocence or made demands whenever they woke up in a cell. Maybe whatever had messed up this man’s face had messed up his brain too? It happened sometimes. Tyr had heard of a man who’d fallen beneath a carriage and been trampled. Afterwards he’d never spoken again, not a single damn word. Tyr shivered at the memory.

“Well? Anything else **** kicker?” he said, breaking the silence.

“When will I be released?”

Tyr relaxed a little, this was more like it. They always wanted to know when they were getting out. “Not till a Templar has arrived and heard your case. You’ve been a naughty boy though, trying to stowaway on a zeppelin.”

“I didn’t try to stowaway on a Zeppelin,” the prisoner shot back, eyes narrowing in anger.

Tyr smiled, much better, the predictable protest of innocence. Oh how he loved his job! Still, the man’s voice was odd. No emotion or heat in it was a bit strange.
“Cram it, that’s for the Templar to decide. Though I think you’ll be for the long drop, mark my words. Stowing
away
on a zeppelin is a high offence.”
“Whenever he damn well wants,” Tyr said
Comma
irritated. If he told a prisoner he was going to hang then he wanted a reaction. “His holyship doesn’t come at your beck and call. You just get yourself comfortable and wait. Either tomorrow or the day after someone will be along.”

The prisoner pressed himself against the bars and reached through the bars.
try to avoid the repetition of bars
“I have to get out of here.”

“Don’t touch me
Comma
**** kicker,” Tyr said, stepping back in disgust and raised
raising
his baton. He chopped down at the outreached arm and grinned at the satisfying whack it made when it struck. The prisoner quickly withdrew his arm, pulling it close to his body
Comma
and rubbed it while glaring out at him.

“There, now you’re starting to understand who’s in charge around here. You do as you’re told and we’ll get along fine.” Tyr sneered. “We got a warning about you but you don’t look so tough. Without those pretty guns you aren’t much to worry about.”

“Don’t you worry, Steward’s rules are clear. Your things will be kept down the hall until sentencing. Once you’re found guilty your things will be sold and distributed to the poor as per the rules… minus a healthy commission of course. I’m not running a charity here!” Tyr laughed at his own joke.

“Don’t think your lot deserve anything but rules are rules. I’ll bring some food along soon. Now shut up
Comma
**** kicker I’ve got a game of cards on and don’t need to be walking back and forth to deal with the likes of you.”

Tyr stared at the prisoner
Comma
making sure his message was clear. The prisoner for his part just stared blankly back, still rubbing that arm. Maybe he’d hit it harder than he thought? Oh well, the guilty scum will hang in a few days anyway, a bruised arm was the least of his problems. He turned away and strolled back up the corridor whistling a jaunty tune.

When the warden had left the corridor the prisoner moved to the corner of his cell and knelt, picking up a broken tile from the floor. He began to grind the tile along the floor sharpening it,
Comma splice
while his hands ground the tile, his eyes stayed locked on the bars in front of him. If the warden had glanced into the cell at that point and seen the look on the prisoners
prisoner's
face right then, he wouldn’t have been so quick to dismiss the danger.

Walking slowly down the corridor, he dragged his baton along the wall as he walked and begun to hum. With those kinds of cards waiting for him, he was in no rush to get back. Besides, interacting with the prisoners was his favourite part of the job. – We see this later, no need to tell us.

The prisoner stared out at him, his rant having no visible effect. A heavy silence began to form and Tyr began to get uncomfortable.
Prisoners usually yelled their innocence or made demands whenever they woke up in a cell – do they? It could have been shown by a prisoner being told to shut up maybe?. Maybe whatever had messed up this man’s face had messed up his brain too? It happened sometimes. Tyr had heard of a man who’d fallen beneath a carriage and been trampled. Afterwards he’d never spoken again, not a single damn word. Tyr shivered at the memory.

Tyr relaxed a little – telling of emotion here, this was more like it. They always wanted to know when they were getting out. “Not till a Templar has arrived and heard your case. You’ve been a naughty boy though, trying to stowaway on a zeppelin.”

Tyr smiled, much better,
the predictable protest of innocence – not predictable to me. Oh how he loved his job! – telling again, when your already showing this. Still, the man’s voice was odd. No emotion or heat in it was a bit strange.
Tyr stared at the prisoner making sure his message was clear. The prisoner for his part just stared blankly back, still rubbing that arm. Maybe he’d hit it harder than he thought? Oh well, the guilty scum will hang in a few days anyway, a bruised arm was the least of his problems. He turned away and strolled back up the corridor whistling a jaunty tune.
A POV shift here, from the Warden who is no longer around to the prisoner, who is the only person around. I like the strict staying with the character when writing, but it’s no rule that I know of.
When the warden had left the corridor the prisoner moved to the corner of his cell and knelt, picking up a broken tile from the floor. He began to grind the tile along the floor sharpening it, while his hands ground the tile, his eyes stayed locked on the bars in front of him. If the warden had glanced into the cell at that point and seen the look on the prisoners face right then, he wouldn’t have been so quick to dismiss the danger.

I had some issues with sentence structure where I felt many were linked but you’d opted for shorter sentences. This is flow mostly, or for me anyway. Quite a lot of eye action going on, enough for me to notice eyes specifically were mentioned a number of times. Some long dialogue lines that in this scene didn’t feel right. I didn’t take the Warden as the chatty type, but this really could just be me.
Mostly for me was the telling style, which for me lessened my engagement. There were too many bits that were given to me instead of me the reader joining you in the scene and working some of these things out for myself. That is the balance I think. Some telling does save a lot of writing and allows the writer to get on with the plot, too much and your pushing the reader along instead of taking them through the story.
Background details, sights, sounds, smells and all the other tactile descriptions were light to missing. The dark corridor, the table, the knee high doors, the bars – not enough for me to feel the scene, to really get the mood. This being a dungeon or similar, you really could have had some fun here.
The voice of the character was very good as were a lot of the internal thoughts.

I felt this was really good stuff Barrett and I liked the setup and everything you were doing, but you didn’t hook me in 100%. While the character was good I never felt the mood and settings that you really needed to take the scene to a higher level.

As you can see nearly all my comments relate to feel and emotions. I can’t give you a right or wrong to help you along even, much as I’d like to, as it could just be me and what I think. I can see a developing writing style happening that looks very promising, but I don’t think your all the way there yet. Keep at it though and good luck with it.

The beginning of this piece seems to be close third or what some like to refer to as multi-third allowing for swapping into multiple close thirds.

Right about at this point you start to drop away and part of that is that it becomes a lot of dialogue but the last paragraph goes into something that looks more like Omni-third (some people seem to think that it's bad to mix omni into close third.)
I don't particularly feel it's all that bad and the last paragraph does tell us something that the close third character shouldn't know or at least leads us to believe that.

“Cram it, that’s for the Templar to decide. Though I think you’ll be for the long drop, mark my words. Stowing on a zeppelin is a high offence.”
“Whenever he damn well wants,” Tyr said irritated. If he told a prisoner he was going to hang then he wanted a reaction. “His holyship doesn’t come at your beck and call. You just get yourself comfortable and wait. Either tomorrow or the day after someone will be along.”

The prisoner pressed himself against the bars and reached through the bars. “I have to get out of here.”

“Don’t touch me **** kicker,” Tyr said, stepping back in disgust and raised his baton. He chopped down at the outreached arm and grinned at the satisfying whack it made when it struck. The prisoner quickly withdrew his arm, pulling it close to his body and rubbed it while glaring out at him.

“Don’t think your lot deserve anything but rules are rules. I’ll bring some food along soon. Now shut up **** kicker I’ve got a game of cards on and don’t need to be walking back and forth to deal with the likes of you.”

I'm not sure if it would make it stronger to go into the prisoners close third at that point or leave it with Omni. Perhaps other people have some thoughts.

As it is the slow protracting out of close and then into that last paragraph looks like you planned it that way.

It does sort of weaken the section for me. That could just be me though.

I suppose technically it could be that that is close third to the prisoner and I'm just having some issue with it resolving that way in my head I think it might be the multiple uses of the prisoner and some feeling of passivity creeping into the text.

Prisoner = Stranger.

So you think i should switch to the prisoner point of view for that final paragraph. Maybe make sure the internal references are obscure? Would that strengthen the scene? Actually im sure it will.

Still a little confused what you guys mean about the first part. I understand the issue with the end of the scene, didn't know it was called omni but thats kinda cool. But the first part i thought was written like any other.

barrett, i liked the piece but got a bit confused as to how you want us to view the warden. is he a harsh but fair warden or a horrible man?

at times he seems quite nasty and almost joky at others.

and the initial, slightly desperate cry from the prisoner doesn't seem to match his character

also, you switch to first person a couple of times which is a bit jarring for me as it's like the narrator jumping into the story:

The knee high doors had been his own addition upon being made warden and he was proud of them. I mean what’s the point of working if you don’t have some fun with it?

and the last para definitely needs some tidying... i've given it a go:

When the warden had left the corridor the prisoner moved to the corner of his cell and knelt, picking up a broken shard of flagstone from the floor. He spat on its edge and began to grind it along the floor, his eyes locked on the bars in front of him. If the warden had seen the look on the prisoners face right then, the whistle would have died in his throat.

just my two cents :)

Prisoner = Stranger.

So you think i should switch to the prisoner point of view for that final paragraph. Maybe make sure the internal references are obscure? Would that strengthen the scene? Actually im sure it will.

If we were to try to classify it in some order to using multi-third or close third then it might look more like the subjectivity/objectivity axis where the first part is subjective expressing the emotions of the character and the second part is more objective and distanced with no emotion. It works the way it is and it might be closer to that than being Omniscient POV.

Last edited:
Current version of this. Can i get away with the last paragraph? I know the pov shifts but its one final paragraph and i think it adds some menace to the scene.

I've tried to create the scene better. Hopefully you now visualize it and feel the corridor/cells/guard room. Tyr is...Tyr. Hopefully his personality is clearer. I've snuck in a few tells in there, hopefully they aren't too overwhelming.

Any grammar/opinions welcome.

=========================
“Read ‘em and weep boys!” Tyr said, laying his cards down. The men around the table groaned.

“That’s the third time tonight you’ve shown kings. You cheating?”

“Bah, don’t be a sore loser. My luck’s turned, that’s all.” Tyr laughed and reached out to hook his winnings. “Easy come, easy go.”

Sitting back, unable to keep the smile from his face, Tyr looked around the room. The mould clinging to the corners was testament to how little the uppers cared about the goings on down here. He picked up his mug and took a large swig. Technically he shouldn’t be drinking while on duty but except for that creep, Voltan, no one ever came down here.

Life was good. As the dungeon’s warden he answered to no one but the Steward. And considering he’d never met the Steward, the situation suited him just fine.

A new hand was dealt and he scooped up the cards, throwing in a mark for the round. One look though was enough to wipe the smile from his face. Ahh well, my luck had to run out at some point.

“Is anyone out there?”

The distant shout echoed from the cells and everyone at the table stilled. Tyr fought down the urge to grin. Lady luck you are kind tonight!

“Sorry boys, some of us have jobs to do,” Tyr said, rising from his chair.

He allowed the jeers and boos to wash over him as he left the room. The temperature dropped as he entered the corridor. The flickering lamps, too weak to pierce the gloom, toyed with the shadows. Tyr shivered, the smile sliding from his face and pulled his baton from its hoop. He understood that a dungeon had to have a certain style but that didn’t mean he had to enjoy the place. Thankfully, he only had a few prisoners to deal with and could keep his trips down here to a minimum.

Footsteps echoed ahead as he walked down the corridor, scrapping his baton along the dark walls almost black with filth. A hand shot out and Tyr jumped back. A bearded man pushed against the bars, trying to reach him.

“Please, there’s been a mistake.”

“Don’t touch me, **** kicker,”

With a snarl, Tyr chopped the baton onto the outreached arm and grinned at the squeal of pain. The arm vanished into the cell and the prisoner retreated, eyes flashing with hate.

“No more shouting or I’ll be back with some of the boys to give you a proper kicking.”

Tyr watched his threat sink in then turned back towards the guard room.

“It’s harder when they fight back.”

Tyr spun round. Squinting, he could just make out the second prisoner in a cell at the end of the corridor. Tyr took a step forward, baton raised then hesitated. He’d been warned about this one. It had taken a full squad to bring him in.

Steeling himself, Tyr forced his feet forward. He was the Warden around here and the prisoners couldn’t be allowed to mouth off.

As he drew close, a lamp flickered, casting a yellow glare on the man. Tyr barked a laugh. The prisoner looked like he’d lost a fight with a bear. There were more bruises on his face than skin. Dangerous? Maybe once but right now he looked like a stiff breeze would knock him down.

Out of habit, Tyr glanced at the low cell door, checking it was still secure. The knee high doors had been his own addition upon being made Warden and he was proud of them. Watching prisoners crawl out of their cells when their sentences were up was as pleasing a sight as he got down here.

“What do you want, scum?” Tyr said in a gruff voice.

“I want to be released.”

“Oh you do, do you? Well why not! Let’s just let every criminal out onto the streets, how well would that work out? What do you think the Steward would say to that? Well done, Tyr? Have a raise, Tyr?”

The prisoner stared into Tyr’s face and a heavy silence formed.

Tyr shifted his feet. Prisoners usually yelled or begged when they woke up in one of his cells. They certainly didn’t stand there in silence. Whatever had messed up his face had probably messed up his brain.

“When will I be released?” the prisoner asked in a monotone voice.

Tyr relaxed, this was more like it. Prisoners always wanted to know release plans.

“Not till a Templar has arrived and heard your case. You’ve been a naughty boy though, trying to stowaway on a zeppelin.”

“I didn’t try to stowaway on a zeppelin.” The prisoner eyes narrowed.

Tyr sneered, ahh, the predictable protest of innocence. All men were the same deep down. Put them into a dark cell with just the rats for company and there was little difference. All were reduced to blubbering wrecks, desperate for freedom.

“That’s for the Templar to decide. Mark my words though; you’re destined for the long drop. Stowing away on a zeppelin is a high offence.”

“When will the Templar arrive?”

“Whenever he damn well wants,” Tyr said, irritated. This prisoner wasn’t reacting how he was meant to. “His holyship doesn’t come at your beck and call. You just get yourself comfortable and wait.”

“My things, where are they?”

“Don’t you worry, the law’s clear. Your things will be kept down the hall until sentencing. Once found guilty they’ll be sold and distributed to the poor, minus a healthy commission of course. I’m not running a charity here!” Tyr laughed. “I don’t think your type deserves it but the rules are the rules. I’ll bring some food along in a bit. So until then, keep your mouth shut. I’ve got a game on and don’t need to be walking back and forth to deal with the likes of you.”

The prisoner didn’t react. His dead eyes fixed forward. Tyr suppressed a shiver and turned quickly away. He hurried up the corridor towards the warmth and laughter of the guard room. The Templar would be along soon enough and then the stranger prisoner wouldn’t be his problem.

As the warden left the corridor the prisoner moved to the corner of his cell and knelt, picking up a broken shard of flagstone from the floor. He spat on its edge and began to grind it along the floor, his eyes locked on the bars in front of him.

My gut feeling is you can get away with the POV shift. Although if you intend to switch to the prisoner's POV soon enough, it may be better to wait and flash it back to include the material then.

Generally the piece read well. There were only a few places that felt wrong.

The flickering lamps, too weak to pierce the gloom, toyed with the shadows.

I don't know what's wrong with this, but it pulled me out of the story.

Tyr shivered, the smile sliding from his face and pulled his baton from its hoop.

Comma after face, and put he before pulled.

>With a snarl, Tyr chopped the baton onto the outreached arm and grinned at the squeal of pain. The arm vanished into the cell and the prisoner retreated, eyes flashing with hate.

The timings felt wrong on this. If the arm is hit it will pull back extremely quickly. This is an automatic reaction and there will be no time for any squeals to register, nevermind for Tyr to grin at it first. The squeal and the arm retreating will happen first, grin next, and finally the retreat.

Tyr spun round. Squinting, he could just make out the second prisoner in a cell at the end of the corridor.

The placing and reaction felt off here. I'm assuming the first prisoner's cell was on one side of the corridor. That means the cell at the end of the corridor is to Tyr's right or left. I don't think he would spin round. I think he would turn his head first and his body would follow slowly, probably after he had identified where the noise was coming from. The spinning round makes him seem too jumpy. He's the boss and this is his domain. He shouldn't appear jumpy.

trying to stowaway on a zeppelin

I think stow away, two words, unless it's a noun.

This prisoner wasn’t reacting how he was meant to.

I think these interpretations of the prisoner are starting to get irritating. I wouldn't even have bothered with the "this is more like it" earlier. This is an entire observation too far for me.

Don’t you worry, the law’s clear. Your things will be kept down the hall until sentencing. Once found guilty they’ll be sold and distributed to the poor, minus a healthy commission of course. I’m not running a charity here!” Tyr laughed. “I don’t think your type deserves it but the rules are the rules. I’ll bring some food along in a bit. So until then, keep your mouth shut. I’ve got a game on and don’t need to be walking back and forth to deal with the likes of you.”

Way too much exposition! Try doesn't need to waste that many words on a complaining prisoner. Snappy this up. Something like:

"They'll be sold after you're found guilty. Now I've a game on and if you call me down here again, I won't leave you capable of wishing you hadn't. Understand?"

Or cut the lot, if the fact that the things are still around is unimportant.

Some really good points, cheers!

With a snarl, Tyr chopped the baton down and the arm vanished back into the cell with a squeal of pain. Tyr laughed as the prisoner retreated, eyes flashing with hate.

He allowed the jeers and boos to wash over him as he left the room and entered the long corridor. The temperature dropped, the crisp air prickling at his face. Tyr shivered, the smile sliding from his face, and he pulled his baton from its hoop. The flickering lamps, too weak to pierce the gloom, toyed with the shadows, giving the area a sense of menace. He understood that a dungeon had to have a certain style but that didn’t mean he had to enjoy the place. Thankfully, he only had a few prisoners to deal with and could keep his trips down here to a minimum.

With a snarl, Tyr chopped the baton down and the arm vanished back into the cell with a squeal of pain. Tyr laughed as the prisoner retreated, eyes flashing with hate.
I much prefer this.

Having slept on it, I think I know what's bothering me about this piece, and why I was taken out of the story when he went down to the dungeons. I think it's one of those things that you won't need to fix unless several readers agree, but let me run it past you.

You first establish that no one Tyr answers to comes down into the prison area. He never sees his boss. Life is good.

To me this means he likes being left to his own devices. He's effectively his own boss, master of all he surveys, etc, etc. I think you nicely set him up to not be nice. The fact that someone will casually accuse him of cheating was interesting. I'm not sure who he was playing with. Presumably not people who answer to him, or he could have sent one of them to find out what the noise was about, and would have had to make a better excuse to leave the game. The accusation seemed casual but not humorous, almost no offence meant by it and none taken. I liked this. It suggested cheating was fine if you could get away with it.

Now when he goes down to the dungeon, you try to set up a mood of menace filtered through his eyes. But this guy's a bully, and he's a bully in charge. I don't think he'd be scared, or even dislike going into the dungeon area. It might be menacing for the prisoners, but Tyr himself is the biggest menace of the lot (in his own eyes, when there's no boss guy there).

It's the dissonance between the life is good, own boss theme on the one hand, and the filtered menace on the other that's bothering me, and that's also why I talked about about Tyr not acting jumpy.

It's only one guy's opinion and I see that it's working against the creepy menace feel you are trying to set up. But I thought I'd let you know.

Really interesting points there Jonh, something to think about for sure.

It'll come down to not explaining things properly and lack of writing skill.

For example, those men at the table are just slacking guards from upstairs. (obv needs to be explained)
In terms of personality, i was trying to get across that Tyr is a bully but a coward too. I'll work on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.