What are you working on right now?

I've just finished writing the second draft of my first novel, now I have revisions and editing to look forward to but I'm happy that I've got to this point with it and I think I'm going to try and write a short story again. I haven't got to do that much recently.

I'm on Chapter 17 of a Sci-Fi novel I've been working on. I'm having that urge to rewrite everything for the third time (I'm definitely my own worst critic, anyone else have this issue)?? but I'm going to push through with this draft.
I want to dive really deep into exploring the inner conflicts of a character/their consciousness. So far, it's been challenging but really interesting.

I'm on Chapter 17 of a Sci-Fi novel I've been working on. I'm having that urge to rewrite everything for the third time (I'm definitely my own worst critic, anyone else have this issue)?? but I'm going to push through with this draft.
I want to dive really deep into exploring the inner conflicts of a character/their consciousness. So far, it's been challenging but really interesting.
I know what you mean about wanting to just rewrite it again, I get that all the time too. I found pushing through as much as I can really did help.

Working on the second and third book of my latest novel The Crow Dark Sea. By which I mean I am procrastinating at lot. Second book is at the stage where my wife says "this doesn't work", "that needs more explanation" and "I don't think the MC would think that." Third book is at the "if this happens, then what happens to that and can I make it all work without bringing the whole thing crashing down?"

I absolutely have this issue. I have folders which are labelled version 1,2,3 and within those folders are many drafts. I find writing like painting on layers, first draft (primer), then second draft thinking about how it affects the characters and polising up the descriptions, then third looking at it from the protagonists point of view, then the other main characters and so on.

Went past ninety thousand on my current WiP over the weekend, and getting very close to the ending. It'll definitely go past a hundred thousand, but not by much I don't think.

At ~103 000 words, the first draft (well, more like the first and two-thirds draft) is done! I'm a little chuffed, since this is the first novel length project I've ever completed.

Now for a lot of editing...

After completing my first writing project, a YA fantasy trilogy, I took some time away. For a first venture into writing, the trilogy was a success - based on my own subjective judgement. I thought I'd focus on marketing for a bit but that just doesn't hold enough interest to win out against competing demands for time. So, I thought I'd return to the enjoyment of writing but that hasn't rekindled the passion.

I think what I am missing is the writing community and engaging with like-minded, enthusiastic people. So here I am, back on Chrons and looking forward to some writerly debate.

I'm 22k into a new novel, which is a fantasy spin off from my previous trilogy.

Started a new novel in a new setting with a different feel from prior stuff. Gas Lamp Gaelic empire with heavy druid and Sidhe/Fae involvement and magic.

Based on my last two start-stops I've tried to approach it differently: i wrote the first 10k words and then rewrote it. And then again. And again. My goal is to refine the initial world building and characters as much as possible before i get too far down the road where I hit the point of, Shoot: i need to go back and massively edit the opening 10k words! (which is what happened with the last two). Seems better so far, but I hit the edit wall around 40k in the last two attempts, so, we'll see!

Sitting around 25k words at the moment but know how it ends and I've got the major story beats mapped out.

A prequel to one of my series and ghostwriting a fantasy novel. It's only my 4th gig doing this so it's still somewhat new territory. The good thing is the plot, characters, and direction are all incredibly well thought out. The notetaking is easy to understand too, which makes a world of difference. Not to mention I have some room to stretch creatively. Currently sitting just under 70k words but sort of hit a wall in terms of how to construct the final battle scene. It's complex and ensuring all the characters get enough love is difficult.

Finished Earthwyms 4: Fire on the Tongue

The first three in this series almost exactly matched the word-counts for the first three Harry Potter books (roughly 80, 90, 110k), and I wondered if the 4th was cursed to reach Goblet of Fire's horrendous 190k. I was pleased to come in 50k short of that, but it's still more of a step up in length than I wanted. I'll have to wait to see if it's justified.

Well done!

Finishing the rough draft of the story based of the bones of a 130k novel i wrote and ended up having the original and backups lost.

My punk book is taking an interesting turn. I've just returned from interviewing a former MD of Virgin Records - some great stories. He's going to put me in touch with none other than Simon Draper. Bit of a lucky break! Meanwhile, Andrew Czezowski has given me some great insights into the early days of The Damned and The Roxy. Some lovely, helpful people out there. I'm enjoying writing this book a lot. It's a really important story for Britain. Looking forward so much to hearing what people think. It isn't a polemic, but I have taken a definite, distinctive viewpoint. It's no dry overview of the facts. I think that will make it stand out. Hope so, anyway!

Here's my current Blurby Blurb for my fantasy novel

What never runs out, changes every thing, but nobody has enough of? Time and Magick.

Forty-five years into what should have been an eternity without need for him and his kind, Relon finds himself wondering if there was ever any peace at all. Nine adult orphans were raised on a cage of an island out in the Amestrian Sea for twenty years, and one named Kai has been living with him for six months. Now, someone has come looking for them all before Kai has recovered any of his memories about his previous life. With the other eight running lose in the Wilds of Lydia Major, Relon finds himself on a journey to find them first and protect them from not just the ones looking for them from outside of Lydia, but the King he works for.

I am just beginning my journey as a new writer, having started building my first science fiction book outline. I know the story I want to tell, I just never thought I would actually do it. Happy to be here.

I am just beginning my journey as a new writer, having started building my first science fiction book outline. I know the story I want to tell, I just never thought I would actually do it. Happy to be here.
You are in good company and not alone in being a new writer. And it looks like you have been on Chrons for a few years too!
I had to redo my novels outline twice. And this, of course, will affect the other two books in the trilogy.

What genre are you going for? Mine is SF.

You are in good company and not alone in being a new writer. And it looks like you have been on Chrons for a few years too!
I had to redo my novels outline twice. And this, of course, will affect the other two books in the trilogy.

What genre are you going for? Mine is SF.
Thank you for the warm welcome. And yes, I have been here on Chrons for several years. Just engaging, reading and learning. Now I feel a calling to write, even if it doesn't get published. I can still make it into a website.

My genre is Science Fiction as well.

Thank you for the warm welcome. And yes, I have been here on Chrons for several years. Just engaging, reading and learning. Now I feel a calling to write, even if it doesn't get published. I can still make it into a website.

My genre is Science Fiction as well.
How about doing some of the 75, 100, and 300 worders here on Chrons? It has helped me a lot in my story telling. The 75 and 300 word challenges are up for this month. Go over to the Writing Form and give one or both a go.
Edit.
I also spend a lot of time reviewing the Critique Form as well.