The Adventures of Tom Bombadil and Other Verses from the Red Book

Corbier

A new edition of The Adventures of Tom Bombadil and Other Verses from the Red Book will be published in October this year. This is espcially interesting (to me):

This new edition will contain the sixteen poems as published in 1962, together with the original drawings by Pauline Baynes. But it will also include earlier versions of the poems, where earlier versions exist – some of these were published in magazines and journals which are now hard to find – and it will reprint a later ‘Bombadil’ poem, Once upon a Time. In addition, we are very pleased to be allowed to publish for the first time, from Tolkien’s manuscript, the predecessor of Perry-the-Winkle, called The Bumpus, and the complete, tantalizingly brief fragment of a prose story featuring Tom Bombadil, in the days of ‘King Bonhedig’.

I'm keen to see this. The Adventures with Baynes's pictures is one of my favorite books. I wonder if there's any chance the illustrations in the new edition will be newly reproduced from the originals (as in the case of some reprints of classics illustrated by N. C. Wyeth, or recent editions of Beatrix Potter's books)? I hope so.

Back