3000th post (yeeep!) -- Umber Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hex

Write, monkey, write
Here's a chunk from a short story I'm writing. It's science fiction with planets and things, which is unusual for me. The two guys have been sucked out of space onto an alien-controlled work camp planet.

I wondered if this info dump was too appalling.

#

The work camp was desolate beyond imagining. Ruled by suited aliens, filled with dying humans and colder than anywhere he'd ever been. Joe ached with cold. His wrists ached with the tight metal cuffs as well, but the cold went all the way through to his gut. The air was breathable for humans -- in theory -- but every frigid breath burned his throat until he reckoned he was turning into a human-shaped icicle. Bloody useless suns. You'd have thought four would produce some heat.

How Al managed to ignore it, and move in all his metal -- round his neck and ankles as well as his wrists -- was a mystery. He acted like he barely noticed, and kept working in the frozen air, though he was still all cut up from the fight. He'd new bruises too; Sobriyo, the gang boss, picked on him. Apparently the guy he'd knocked down by the trashed shuttle had been some kind of boyfriend.

Like he'd heard Joe thinking, Al turned and glared. In the orange light, his eyes were black. This was his I've-had-a-thought glare, though; the I'm-going-to-kill- you one involved more eyebrow.

"What's it for?" he snarled. He flicked his eyes at the silver arch all the humans worked on until they dropped.

"It's a-" One of the other humans -- a scabby, shaven-haired stick figure of indeterminate gender -- sidled closer and Joe changed what he'd been going to say. "Seven league boots. It's a door beneath a hill. We're a long way from Kansas, Dorothy."

Al's fingers closed hot on Joe's throat. The grip wasn't as brutal as it could've been; Joe hoped it was self-control, not weakness, that stopped Al crushing his larynx.

Whatever, there was nothing wrong with Al's voice: "Stop talking crap."

Fleeing the threat of violence, the other human sidled away. Joe watched him (her?) go. It was a shame they couldn't trust the others, but attempts had cost him food and brought Al another beating; he'd learned the hard way that terrorised prisoners don't make good allies. Sad. He was lonely with only Captain Fantastic to talk to. He missed Melanie, far away (and far awhen, he suspected) in Washington, the way she'd murmured quantum equations to him while her hands-- Yeah. Don't think that here or Al'll get the wrong idea. Joe'd asked her to wait, and she'd said she would. Knowing now that he wasn't getting back, he hoped she hadn't waited long.

Al's shake returned him to miserable reality.

"Let me go," Joe said. How could Al's hands possibly be warm? Was it all the anger? The beatings? His lip was bruised, Joe noted absently, and his neck. How many more beatings before they killed him?

"Down," Joe ordered, and this time Al listened.

"I reckon it's transportation," Joe said when Al let him go, as if there had been no pause in their conversation. "See the beams they're setting in the framework? They'll be for the lasers, to make the gate."

"What gate?"

"This is all theory, you understand that, right? I reckon it's a Bell Gate."

"What for?"

"It's how they got us here -- dragged us out of our mission into wherever the Hell this is. A big one of those. It'll give them instantaneous transport? What do you think? Maybe they want to start an intergalactic supermarket."

There was a flash of teeth -- a snarl. "Guess."

Joe sighed. "Let's see. They're building this as fast as they can, with kidnapped slave labour, and they always seem to be able to get more. Have you spoken to any of the others?"

Al glared. Joe diagnosed this one as confusion. "The other people," he explained, glad to have an outlet for his theories. "These guys are lifting human labour from all over space -"

"How's that poss-?"

"-and time. Most of these guys are from our future. They'll want humans because we can breathe here, and there are lots of us. Anyway it doesn't bode well for what they're planning. If you're after a guess I'd say[FONT=&quot]…[/FONT] Galactic domination? Mass extinction? Would you want to live anywhere Sobriyo was in charge?"

Al's jaw set.

"Whatever it is," Joe finished, "we're the good guys."

"So we stop them."

Joe stared at Al, chained, bruised, blood on his grubby NASA uniform. Al glared back. He didn't seem to have any truck with moral ambiguity, the idea of can't or even Joe's favourite, Let's not die.

Good guys fight bad guys. That is all.

Joe cleared his throat. "Sure. Let's do that. We just need a plan."

Congratulations on the 3000!

Not too info-dumpy; on the contrary, I would have liked a bit more than the first two paragraphs before the dialogue starts. It actually felt a bit rushed.

Last edited:
It didn't feel info-dumpy to me, and I enjoyed the overall voice and theme. I think with sci-fi, people expect more information? This reads as fantasy set in space to me, but I don't read much sci-fi. Maybe someone else can expand on that?

I shan't crit cos I've already seen it, but congrats, congrats! (I so beat you to it, though. :D)

Actually, I've having problems with Al's characterisation. It may be the mix of sympathy-inducing imagery and non sympathetic behaviour, or to do with Joe's behavior to him fluctuating a little, but it's hard to tell in this short excerpt, but my spidey-sense is tingling. If, when you're finished, you want a read-through, I'll try to put my finger on it?

Last edited:
Congratulations on 3000! :)

I don't think it's info-dumpy. I did bog down at the "Fleeing..." paragraph, and skimmed it, but that could be me and my notorious attention span and lack of sleep.

Won't be long until I'm at 3,000... anyway, congrats. Now, to the critique. Mwahahaha!

suited aliens - I'm imagining the Asgard from Stargate strutting in tuxedos.

ached with cold. His wrists ached - I'd change one of these. Could alter the first to 'burned' or the second to 'throbbed'. Or, you could slightly change the latter idea so the cuffs are chafing his skin, making it raw and bloody [if so, you could add a line about the pain and blood at least being a relief from the cold].

He'd new bruises too - not against using contractions in exposition, but here I think "He had..." would flow better.

picked on - persecuted?

kill- the hyphen at the end should be axed

He flicked his eyes at the silver arch all the humans worked on until they dropped - I'd cut this into two sentences. As well as reading better, you could add a smidgen of detail to both ideas (the arch and being worked to death. Maybe have a cemetery or pit nearby).

far awhen - interesting term. Quite like it.

Washington, the - I'd make it a full stop and turn the one sentence into two.

Al'll - 'Al might' might read better.

On the info-dump question: I didn't notice one. To be honest, I think you could add a little more detail, if you wanted to.

It didn't seem info dumpy to me at all.

On the other hand for some reason this paragraph grated on my mind and made me bleed out my ears. It's hard to explain why.

Like he'd heard Joe thinking, Al turned and glared. In the orange light, his eyes were black. This was his I've-had-a-thought glare, though; the I'm-going-to-kill- you one involved more eyebrow.

Hi, and congratulations (how do you guys even get to 1000 posts, let alone 3,000?).

It's been months since I have helped out in crits and I thought I should make the effort!

I didn't think there was an infodump. Maybe I'm more tolerant of these things so I'm inured to them, but I'm presuming you mean the opening? So, no. Not infodumpy at all (and I really liked the 4 suns bit).

The informal and parenthetical writing style works well, too and gives me a strong sense of Al's confidence.

There are a few things here and there, but I don't if they are just stylistic things or if they'd benefit from slight tweaks. In particular:

How Al managed to ignore it, and move in all (t)his metal -- round his neck and ankles as well as his wrists (I'd group 'wrists and ankles' together, then say the neck) -- was a mystery. He acted like he barely noticed, and kept working in the frozen air, though he was still all cut up from the fight. He'd (this made me pause and I'd prefer 'he had') new bruises too; Sobriyo, (great name!) the gang boss, picked on him. Apparently the guy he'd knocked down by the trashed shuttle had been some kind of boyfriend.

Like he'd heard Joe thinking, Al turned and glared (the reversal of this sentence made me pause again). In the orange light, his eyes were black. This was his I've-had-a-thought glare, though; the I'm-going-to-kill- you one involved more eyebrow. Would it not be more Al-voicey to put to use brackets instead of a semi-colon?

"What's it for?" he snarled. He flicked his eyes at the silver arch all the humans worked on until they dropped.

"It's a-" One of the other humans -- a scabby, shaven-haired stick figure of indeterminate gender -- sidled closer and Joe changed what he'd been going to say. "Seven league boots. It's a door beneath a hill. We're a long way from Kansas, Dorothy."

Al's fingers closed hot on Joe's throat. The grip wasn't as brutal as it could've been; Joe hoped it was self-control, not weakness, that stopped Al crushing his larynx.

Fleeing the threat of violence, the other human sidled away. Joe watched him (her?) (cf my above comment about using brackets like this instead of the semi - I think brackets lend themselves better to internal thoughts) go. It was a shame they couldn't trust the others, but attempts had cost him food and brought Al another beating; he'd learned the hard way that terrorised prisoners don't make good allies. Sad. He was lonely with only Captain Fantastic to talk to. He missed Melanie, far away (and far awhen, he suspected) in Washington, the way she'd murmured quantum equations to him while her hands-- Yeah. Don't think that here or Al'll get the wrong idea. Joe'd asked her to wait, and she'd said she would. Knowing now that he wasn't getting back, he hoped she hadn't waited long.

"Let me go," Joe said. How could Al's hands possibly be warm? Was it all the anger? The beatings? His lip was bruised, Joe noted absently, and his neck. How many more beatings before they killed him?

"I reckon it's transportation," Joe said when Al let him go, as if there had been no pause in their conversation. "See the beams they're setting in the framework? They'll be for the lasers, to make the gate."

"What gate?"

"This is all theory, you understand that, right? ("but"? - altho you've got so many contractions and fragments already I think you could be fine without using the "but" I suggested) I reckon it's a Bell Gate."

"What for?"

"It's how they got us here -- dragged us out of our mission into wherever the Hell this is. A big one of those. It'll give them instantaneous transport? What do you think? Maybe they want to start an intergalactic supermarket."

There was a flash of teeth -- a snarl. "Guess."

Joe sighed. "Let's see. They're building this as fast as they can, with kidnapped slave labour, and they always seem to be able to get more. Have you spoken to any of the others?"

Al glared. Joe diagnosed this one as confusion. "The other people," he explained, glad to have an outlet for his theories. "These guys are lifting human labour from all over space -"

"How's that poss-?"

"-and time. Most of these guys are from our future. They'll want humans because we can breathe here, and there are lots of us. Anyway it doesn't bode (I'm not a fan of bode - it seems a little plummy. ) well for what they're planning. If you're after a guess I'd say[FONT=&quot]…[/FONT] Galactic domination? Mass extinction? Would you want to live anywhere Sobriyo was in charge?"

Al's jaw set.

"So we stop them."

Joe stared at Al, chained, bruised, blood on his grubby NASA uniform. Al glared back. He didn't seem to have any truck with moral ambiguity, the idea of can't or even Joe's favourite, Let's not die.

Joe cleared his throat. "Sure. Let's do that. We just need a plan."

Like I said, just bits and pieces and small ones at that. I liked it and I was into the world you were creating nice and quickly. I find it hard to get into the world of characters very often so that's a definite plus for me. I do think, however, that some readers may struggle with the conversational tone and fragments; it's almost a bit screenplay-y at times.

pH

hi Hex, this will be my first crit here since joining a couple of weeks ago. There are just my personal thoughts:

The work camp was desolate beyond imagining. Ruled by suited aliens, filled with dying humans and colder than anywhere he'd ever been. Normally, fragments can be ok particularly in dialog or for some sort of stress, but this looks to me like just a fragment. Joe ached with cold. His wrists ached with the tight metal cuffs as well, but the cold went all the way through to his gut. two ached's and two cold's in back to back sentences. suggestions offered prev. The air was breathable for humans -- in theory -- but every frigid breath burned his throat until he reckoned he was turning into a human-shaped icicle. are these guys fairly young? doesn't sound like something an adult would think. Bloody useless suns. You'd have thought four would produce some heat. these sentences are so closely related that i think a semicolon would have worked better for flow as opposed to being separated.

How Al managed to ignore "it"(?), and move in all his metal -- round his neck and ankles as well as his wrists i think "around" would fit the narrative better and the phrasing is awkward. -- was a mystery. He acted like he barely noticed, and kept working in the frozen air maybe "freezing" air since air can't be frozen?, though he was still all cut up from the fight. He'd new bruises too; Sobriyo, the gang boss, picked on him. didn't understand that sentence at first, the contraction threw me off--had to re-read to get it. Apparently(,) the guy he'd knocked down by the trashed shuttle had been some kind of boyfriend.didn't quite get that or why it's there.

Like he'd heard Joe thinking, Al turned and glared. In the orange light, his eyes were black. This was his I've-had-a-thought glare, though; the I'm-going-to-kill- you one involved more eyebrow. tho the linking of a phrase with a hyphen to make it an adjective is correct in the US, the whole paragraph read awkward to me.

"What's it for?" he snarled. one can't snarl a question. perhaps "he said with a snare" or "...for?" He snarled." He flicked his eyes at the silver arch all the humans worked on until they dropped. ???

"It's a--
" extra hyphen was needed. One of the other humans -- a scabby, shaven-haired stick figure of indeterminate gender -- the dashed phrase is not something sudden or unexpected. i think commas would have worked just fine since it's simply an appositive. sidled closer and Joe changed what he'd been going to say. ??? "Seven league boots. It's a door beneath a hill. We're a long way from Kansas, Dorothy."

Al's fingers closed hot on Joe's throat. The grip wasn't as brutal as it could've been; Joe hoped it was self-control, not weakness, that stopped Al crushing his larynx. by now the contrations are getting maddening.

Fleeing the threat of violence, the other human sidled away. just used "sidled" a little while previously. Joe watched him (her?) go. It was a shame they couldn't trust the others, but attempts had cost him food and brought Al another beating; he'd learned the hard way that terrorised prisoners don't make good allies. Sad. He was lonely with only Captain Fantastic to talk to. He missed Melanie, far away (and far awhen, he suspected) in Washington, the way she'd murmured quantum equations to him while her hands-- Yeah. Don't think that here or Al'll get the wrong idea. Joe'd asked her to wait, and she'd said she would. Knowing now that he wasn't getting back, he hoped she hadn't waited long. maybe not info dump so much here, but this entire paragraph just doesn't flow well to me. i did what no reader should have to do: read it twice to understand.

"What gate?"

"What for?"

There was a flash of teeth -- a snarl. i'd drop "a snarl" or show it better. "Guess."

"How's that poss-?" i'm seeing quite a few times you use a hyphen for a dash (which should show interruptions). is that European or something (really asking)?

"-and time. Most of these guys are from our future. They'll want humans because we can breathe here, and there are lots of us. Anyway it doesn't bode well for what they're planning. If you're after a guess I'd say[FONT=&quot]…[/FONT] Galactic domination? Mass extinction? Would you want to live anywhere Sobriyo was in charge?"

Al's jaw set.

"So we stop them."

Joe cleared his throat. "Sure. Let's do that. We just need a plan."[/QUOTE]

just personally, i feel sentence flow and structure is a stronger concern than info dump. and these guys sound really young, like teens or younger (forgive me if they are). is this Young Adult? if so, apologies. again, just my thoughts.

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Two things I should probably have said at the start: (1) this isn't the beginning of the story, and (2) the info-dump I was worried about was the conversation about the Bell Gate.

Sahlmi -- thanks for catching my hyphen/ dash issue. It's not a European thing, it's my mistake.

Congratulations Hex. Well done.

I wondered if this info dump was too appalling.

Not too appalling, but it could had been a bit better. And as you said, it certainly doesn't feel as if the readers are starting from the beginning, but rather from the middle ... or somewhere just before it.

I also feel like you're having problems on formulating it and the story you gave us wasn't completely thought through. There are details that pull the reader out and send them back again. But I think that's because you haven't applied enough of polish to make it shine.

The work camp was desolate beyond imagining.

Not desolate, and certainly not bleak. It's full of details and to me it feels like a Siberian Gulag set in another world.

The air was breathable for humans -- in theory -- but every frigid breath burned his throat until he reckoned he was turning into a human-shaped icicle.

Clumsy.

I know. I should be the last person to tell you that, but to me it read clumsy and I though you should use word you instead of genre related he or his. "The air was breathable for humans -- in theory -- but every freaking breath you too burned in throat..."

How Al managed to ignore it, and move in all his metal -- round his neck and ankles as well as his wrists -- was a mystery.

Did you meant to use word shackles?

I thought Al was a robot. And I was intrigued because you had also picked up a lot of same details and my Al the android butler, but Al's a person, not a machine. Yes?

Silver arch?
"What gate?"

"What for?"

If mean this is the problematic bit, then you shouldn't worry. It's masking itself quite well as dialogue.

Sorry for being annoying person. It wasn't my intention.

I loved it!
Well fleshed out characters (ok they are skinny prisoners, but thats not what I meant [And I still picture Al as being ridiculously well muscled]) Nicely proportioned plot to exposition, questions raised slowly from the back of the mind, and answered just before they reach the forefront.
The whole tone has a wonderful greyish hue to it, easy to sympathies with the bleakness of the situation without finding it hopeless. I especially love the end bit where Al is ready to fight, and Joe attributes it to wanting to fight for what's right and him being idealistic.
To me, that says that Joe hasnt given up as much hope as he says he has. And that Al has discretion in his aggressive outlets.

Last edited:
I shan't crit cos I've already seen it, but congrats, congrats! (I so beat you to it, though. :D)

Actually, I've having problems with Al's characterisation. It may be the mix of sympathy-inducing imagery and non sympathetic behaviour, or to do with Joe's behavior to him fluctuating a little, but it's hard to tell in this short excerpt, but my spidey-sense is tingling. If, when you're finished, you want a read-through, I'll try to put my finger on it?

Someone else with Superhero's? Or is it just me and mad spaceships?

I had a spider tingle too. I would have liked more time taken to set more background. I wondered what the camp looked like and more about their daily routine. So time taken for world building would have suited me, simply because you had my interest. The behaviour as per Springs. I'd read it and couldn't put my finger on what seemed to be missing, but when I finally settled into the thread and carried on reading, Springs nailed it for me. So I'm going to follow Springs. That has noting to do with certain mentioned uniforms, not at all, I'm not like that!

But as I said, you did hook me in and get my interest. Welcome to the dark side of SciFi.
3k - Well done.

i liked it but get the same feeling as springs and bowler... i was quite surprised to find out that the joe and al had been on the same NASA mission, as al does not seem to act towards joe like a fellow astronaut. i initially picked them as two prisoners having met on the owrk planet. also, al seems too brutal for a NASA astronaut. maybe you need some more info on his decline into a prison brute and worthy reasons (i.e. defending the weak) for it?

There is not too much info dumping at all.

I did wonder what was he point of some of the material. I think we need to get to Let's not die. A bit quicker.

Do we need to know there is a girlfriend far away, what were the seven ton boots in aid off.

I think having establishing the appalling conditions it is worth pointing out, that if they don't survive this, they will just die, and then millions more after them. That's the hook that gets you reading.

Good Luck

Thanks for the comments, everyone :)

Just noticed there's an extra space after the hyphen at the end of 'kill' -- that should be: 'I'm-going-to-kill-you'

Your post caught and kept my interest. Although you say that this is not the start of the story, I had no trouble following the narrative. However, I wonder whether the reference to the work on the silver arch would fit better in the description of the work camp. This might help maintain the fast pace of the dialogue, by streamlining the reference to 'the silver arch all the humans worked on until they dropped.'

I didn't think the section on the Bell Gate was an info-dump, but the paragraph starting 'Fleeing' seemed a bit long.

This is a point i didn't notice on the first read through: Isn't there a contradiction between the observation about not trusting the others and the later question to Al about talking to the others?

There is a war move called Rescue Dawn, about a pilot downed in Vietnam, or simply the Nam, depending how old you are. Anyway... there are a number of Americans held in difficult conditions and with cruel guards and some nice guards. Some Americans let the walls and jungle enclose them and of course, others dream of freedom. Maybe worth a look at for ideas, maybe not, but I thought I'd mention it, as from memory it seems to fit what your trying to do here. Certainly the relationships between the prisoners was interesting.

Thanks, both. Good point about the streamlining! I might well look up the film, Bowler -- thanks very much for mentioning it! I must admit I kind of had the Gulag in mind when I wrote this. And space. The Gulag and space.

Status
Not open for further replies.