Among Others - Jo Walton

Jo Zebedee

Aliens vs Belfast.
Supporter
This is a book which came recommended to me from a number of sources, but which I struggled to get fully engaged with. But after the Christmas rush and post-Mr-Springs stealing it to read - who also recommended it - I got down to business and pushed on.

I'm very glad I did. It's a lovely book, redolent of Magical Realism where the fairy world blends with the real in a believable fashion. The main character, Mori, is likeable, once you get past an initial reserve caused by the events just preceeding the book. With a lost sister, an estranged, barely-coping father, and a mother Mori has ran from her beloved Welsh valleys to avoid, there is plenty to intrigue. Coupled to that the many and variant genre books Mori devours will spark enjoyment in any reader of the classics, blending her imaginary world with the real.

The author excels at lush description and creating rich, memorable characters. For me, the ending didn't quite live up to the promise - and foreboding - of the main story, but this was a small complaint about a book which will otherwise stay with me for a long time and was well worth being pushed to try again with.

I really loved this book too. My teenage years are long gone, but it recalled for me the joy and anticipation of finding new books and authors to read. Jo conveys so well the sense of isolation felt by a lonely misfit with a tragic past, and her happiness in finding others who share her enthusiasms. Have you read Jo's blog at Tor? She discusses and reviews books that are favourites of hers, and if you enjoyed Among Others, you are sure to find a host of new authors and stories to read. Some of her posts are to be published shortly under the title of What Makes This Book So Great.

Unfortunately, I can't agree. I posted the following comment on my blog:

One book I tried to read recently was Among Others, by Jo Walton. This has received rave reviews and managed the rare double win, being voted best novel for both the 2011 Nebula Award and the 2012 Hugo Award. It is a first-person account of the life of a young Welsh girl who finds solace from a grim reality in her reading of SFF books, to which there are copious references. I ploughed on for over 70 pages before deciding that it was getting nowhere interesting and I didn't care what happened next, so I gave up.

Back