Has anyone read Count Robert of Paris by Walter Scott?

Glisterspeck

Frozen sea axe smith
The synopsis looks interesting, and I liked Ivanhoe. Was wondering if anyone had opinions on this other novel of his, Count Robert of Paris?

Bravo! I'm delighted to see someone express interest in Sir Walter's tales. However, I haven't read this one. (I've read The Bride of Lammermoor [which can be a good one to read first], The Heart of Midlothian, The Antiquary, Rob Roy, Redgauntlet, Old Mortality, Waverley, Guy Mannering, Kenilworth, and Ivanhoe [with a bit of skipping on that one, I think]; also "The Two Drovers" and "The Highland Widow" and some of his Journal; and Buchan's book on Scott.)

Hm. Thanks. I've only read Ivanhoe and Rob Roy. This one is supposed to be a crusade story set in and around Constantinople, which grabbed my interest.

....a crusade story set in and around Constantinople, which grabbed my interest.

I wonder if John Mason Neale's novel The Fall of Constantinople (not a Crusades story, of course!) is good. It was in the old Everyman's Library series, perhaps under the alternate title Theodora Phranza.

By the way, has anyone else ever pondered a list of the original Everyman's Library? I have a couple of the books with multi-page lists, although at that time, at least, the publisher (Dent) hadn't reached the announced goal of a one thousand-volume library.

It's interesting to see the list's combination of books that were recognized as classics then and (for all our benightedness) still are, with books that have since then been -- in some cases perhaps deservedly -- forgotten.

I'd be happy to start a thread on the old Everyman's series if several people are interested. Some might not know what I am talking about! These books used to turn up in library book sales, second hand stores, etc. They have what seems to me a very "friendly" look and feel -- it is a pleasure to handle and read them. I have about 30 of them though I decided a long time ago that I was NOT going to "collect" them.

See here

Everyman's Library - History

on the original series and the revival.

Endpapers:

everyman-endpapers.jpg

See also:

At home at RIVERBEND on the beautiful Clyde: Everyman's Library

Walter Scott was a key author for the original Everyman's Library.