beta readers for other genres

San

Hi!

One of my siblings has just finished a writing a novel in the adventure genre. I want to ask if the people on this website can beta read a novel whose genre is not fantasy? If not, are there any other websites which provide trusted beta readers for genres other than fantasy?

Hi!

One of my siblings has just finished a writing a novel in the adventure genre. I want to ask if the people on this website can beta read a novel whose genre is not fantasy? If not, are there any other websites which provide trusted beta readers for genres other than fantasy?

You'd probably be better asking on sites that have readers familiar with the genre. I think most of us read outside the genre, but the crits board is for sff and unless you've had a crit up and people know what the writing is like, it'll be hard to find volunteers.

Two sites to think about: Absolute write and critiquecircle.com both offer reads of most genres. Of the two, I've found critiquecircle to be small and fairly supportive, much like here, whereas AW is massive and the crits boards can be daunting for people new to it. As with any beta-site, though, there's an expectation that you'll reciprocate!

Good luck. :)

Thanks for replying.:)

I will check out the websites you have recommended. Btw, can the beta readers there be trusted? Have you ever given them anything to beta read? I have never had much experience with these websites, that is why I am asking.

Thanks for replying.:)

I will check out the websites you have recommended. Btw, can the beta readers there be trusted? Have you ever given them anything to beta read? I have never had much experience with these websites, that is why I am asking.

I don't know the critters individually to comment. Both sites are as trustworthy as anywhere but to get to the point where you know you have someone you can trust you need to build up a critting relationship over time. You could put up small excerpts and see what responses you get, but it's useful to remember a beta reader's view is only one person's take on it.

Of the two, critique circles gives more opportunity to build a relationship with other critters.

I've had crits carried out on both sites: the feedback ranged from very useful to less-than-useful.

I have also used the above-mentioned CritiqueCircle.
Yes they do crit general fiction and romance etc as well as SF & fantasy. There is a system for getting whole novels read, which I have not explored, and also boards where you can serialize a novel in chapter-sized chunks. This usually results in several crits of each section, and these normally run to over 300 words. Usefulness may vary, but almost always better than nothing. There's even a special section for newbies :)

San, why not get them to post an excerpt for Critique here?

Simply that there are almost certainly issues which will be apparent from the first page. In which case, searching for beta readers would be a waste of time if it would be painful for them to read and they'll give up quickly.

Instead, better to get the novel kicked into shape first before asking for beta readers - most of the time when someone has "completed a novel" what they have actually done is written a First Draft.

A Critique here should highlight any issues - presuming your sibling wants critical feedback to make their work stronger. :)

My apologies, Brian; I didn't realise our crits board could be used for material that was non science fiction/ fantasy.

Just on that point about beta readers -- both the sites I mentioned give crits the same as here (but without a word limit) -- a beta reader arrangement would generally only come after some time getting to know the other critters.

I thought Adventure was a subgenre of Fantasy ...

it seems my phone ate my first attempt to respond, so I'll try again.
anyone can PM me to see if I'm available for a beta. I tend to give character focused feed back and will start anything. If I stop reading, I'll give the where and why.

I used to be active with this group: Critters Writers Workshop

They have beta reading for novel lengths, but it's by special arrangement, and like Springs said, no matter where you go, beta readers are going to want to be familiar with your writing style and subject matter before they agree to commit to a long piece.

Thank you all for your suggestions. :)

My brother is almost finished with his editing. He actually wants to know if someone will find his novel interesting or not. He says adding portions of his novel won't get him any overall idea of the reader's reaction to what he has written, and he is looking for beta readers who will read the whole and give their general opinion.

Is it possible to find them on these two sites without adding passages from his novel? (As I've already said, his editing is almost finished.)

Honestly? Most experienced (read for that, often asked a lot) critters will only read a whole novel by someone who they a. Know writes a certain standard and b. Takes critism. Without any prior relationship, I'd never offer ( and I'm pretty good at taking on crits.)

Your brother's best bet is probably critters.org BUT they only do SFF and their RFD ( requests for dedicated readers thread) will show a sample, after which they'll decide whether to offer. Also, turning up as a newby without a history of critting makes it much less likely to get an offer.

Also, if I critted his novel, I'd expect him to crit - in line edit detail, as that's the sort of crits I do -- mine. (Well, I might not, cos I'm between books, but you get the gist.) is he prepared to set the next three months aside to beta read for others?

To read and crit a full novel takes days/weeks and, whilst your brother says he has edited, to be very gentle about it, I thought I'd edited my first novel when I got here, and it needed another 18 edits/rewrites to get to the standard needed.

Has your brother considered a professional editing service - Teresa Egerton and J.S.Maryatt from this site offer them. They cost a bit, but it may be a route forward.

He actually wants to know if someone will find his novel interesting or not. He says adding portions of his novel won't get him any overall idea of the reader's reaction to what he has written
No. But, with respect to all concerned, 1000 words will tell if he can write to a standard that will make someone happy to read further. When he picks up a book in a shop, doesn't he, before buying, first read a page or two, or at the very least the back cover blurb, to see if he will like it? The same holds true for someone who is going to give up the time and effort involved in reading 100,000 words or so and then delivering an opinion.

he is looking for beta readers who will read the whole and give their general opinion.
If he's only looking for a general opinion, why doesn't he ask people he knows to read it for him? Granted most friends/family will say only nice things about it, for fear of upsetting him (if, in fact, they read it at all) but that way he won't get detailed critiques and won't need to reciprocate.

But -- and it's a big but -- why is he only interested in knowing if his novel is interesting or not? Why isn't he concerned if his prose is good, his characters three dimensional, his description, dialogue and exposition excellent? Having an interesting idea for a story is the easy bit; the real trick is writing it in such a way that people are eager to read it. For that, he will need something more than a general opinion -- he'll need detailed critiques from people who know what they are talking about.

Is it possible to find them on these two sites without adding passages from his novel? (As I've already said, his editing is almost finished.)

It's asking to run before knowing if they can walk, which is a very common mistake new writers make. I guarantee he will receive useful critical feedback on just a 1000 words.

Most new writers just have no clue about all the different essential tools of writing, and how to use them. It's a learning process. Hence why an excerpt will be most helpful.

Well, I'm game for just about anything. Why? Actually, not entirely because I'm a nice person (just as well, because i 'nice' critique is an oxymoron), but because I've discovered I improve my own writing more by correcting other people than by following critiques of my own works – I get the feeling they're all too scared to say anything unpleasant to me, either because I might break down in tears or because of what I might do to their next offering.

The down sides are a) I take the time it takes – those of you for whom I am doing this at present please believe I am advancing, as fast as I can.
b) I can only do the grammar, punctuation and technical details. If I read something and think 'I wouldn't do it that way', I generally follow it up with the thought 'That could be a considerable advantage'. I am aware that my personal style is not one that would appeal to many, which is not convenient foe somebody attempting commercial success. Anyone who's been red penned by me in critiques knows what I mean.

Not that I won't probably retaliate with something of mine to be perused; at least that way somebody's reading it apart from my computer.

Springs has critiqued my brother's first chapter. He says the feedback has been really beneficial and he will post passages from his novel on the above mentioned websites.

Springs has critiqued my brother's first chapter. He says the feedback has been really beneficial and he will post passages from his novel on the above mentioned websites.

I think he'd benefit from it being up on crits here, actually, and it is a nice, friendly crits board. :)

Edit: glad it was helpful!

Can he use my account here for posting excerpts of his novel for critique?