Sekrit Santa 33 1/3

Yeah Dusty, I wrote ur last one for u after the fact. Alternate universe with flowers..Kolorada nuke with young love.

Like I said..I think I got a Hope extra too the first time? And Hope got mine last time. Thanks for writing 10 stories for each round Hope ;)

See? I hadn't followed the previous ones while I was moving, so didn't know about the automatic multiple versions (if you look at my 75 results, I've frequently got a spare idea or two.

That's true -- I should have tapped you earlier, chrispy! Next time I'll just assign you to write one of each. Maybe that'll keep you busy. :)

Don't sweat it, Remedy. I've been here for 3 years and I can still only identify one or two styles. :eek:

pH

I could be here for 10 years and still have all the observational qualities of an amoeba!

And all of you talking about multiple entries! - you're making me feel queasy - I could barely manage one!!! :D

Ok, everyone who sent me a story should have their requested story now (or someone's anyway), in email. Please let me know if you don't have it, in case I missed a different email address to send it to, and also if I did something silly like send your own story back to you. I *think* I got everything straight, but one never knows.

Can non entrants play at guessing? :)

I bet you've already put half of them to names, springs! :D

What a brilliant array of beginnings! - Very well organised TDZ! :)

Is there any chance we can have a refresh on what all those who entered, requested?

Can non entrants play at guessing? :)

I don't have any objections at all (provided you tweet or PM me your guesses first so I can post my -ahem - 'guesses' first :D).

Before it gets all crazy round here, I wanted to say:

THANK YOU!

to my author. The story I received was outrageously entertaining. It was snappy, tidy, very witty, haunted-y and the voice was immediately authentic and had the self-deprecating manner that some of Lovecraft's narrators have. It put me in mind of Twilight Zone or Tales of the Unexpected stories. It made the time fly on the 257 bus to Walthamstow and I barely smelled the stinking fried chicken and sweat steaming off my fellow travellers. ;)

I thought I knew who wrote it but then realise she didn't enter the SS3 so I'm going to sneak off and do a bit of detecting.

Ph

THANK YOU!

to my author. The story I received was outrageously entertaining. It was snappy, tidy, very witty, haunted-y and the voice was immediately authentic and had the self-deprecating manner that some of Lovecraft's narrators have. It put me in mind of Twilight Zone or Tales of the Unexpected stories.

Ph

And may I say, *ahem* I told this person so! :D :p

I have added the list of requests to the SS3 guessing thread -- the requests that were written, which were not all precisely as received by the requesters.

Oh, and yes, anyone may feel free to register their guesses. Everyone send them to Phyrebrat first, to confuse the **** out of him. :D

I've just received mine, thanks TDZ.

I will do my best to read it asap. Really looking forward to it!

Hm. And here I thought Chrispy had written mine! (And that was the only guess I had lined up so far.)

Well, to whomever did write it, thank you very much. It was quite the ride! Well done on compressing generational time. That's always tough for me.

Chrispy did write one of the original nine stories, just to clarify -- he was working on an extra for me, as well. The extra is the one he means, above. (In fact, you may recall, he was the first one finished, being a novice and not aware of our well-honed procrastination skills.) :D

I received the story that someone wrote for Jastius' request (my own request evaporated ;))... It is absolutely fantastic! I loved reading on in my bewildered confusion when a drunken not-leprechaun had found his way into the seemingly ordinary tale. Then an explosion of fantasy, mystery and intrigue glued me to the pages. The pace was perfect, intertwining all of the 4 storylines towards a well executed climax - leaving no stone unturned - every question was answered, producing happy-warm-feels at the end. It read like the author had fun in the writing, so I did in the reading. Also, there was an element of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time in there, one of my favourite books.

THANK YOU for that excellent gift :)

I have an idea who wrote it. When do I guess? How does the guessing work? (without revealing our own story - by it being the only one we didn't guess for). Someone do it first so I can sheep! :D

Last edited:
Then an explosion of fantasy, mystery and intrigue glued me to the pages. The pace was perfect, intertwining all of the 4 storylines towards a well executed climax - leaving no stone unturned - every question was answered, producing happy-warm-feels at the end. It read like the author had fun in the writing, so I did in the reading.

And may I say, *ahem* I told that person so, too! :D I love this job!

Sorry, I forgot we had novices here -- you can guess anytime, and it doesn't have to be all at once. People usually start venturing a few guesses, bouncing off each other, changing their minds, and when there's a good consensus on one or more, I'll start confirming. I'll try to hold off on any confirmations long enough for everyone to have a chance, but that part gets impatient-making, too. :) People usually do mix up a couple of guesses, or leave out a couple of guesses, till later in the process, so as to avoid identifying their own story and keep the mystery alive.

You could go back to the guessing thread for the last one and see what they did, if that would help.

Bzzzt! You're disqualified, for posting in the wrong thread! :D

Oh, ok, we'll give you another shot, for being first to stick your toes into the water.

Thank you for the info Dusty :D

I wonder if others will guess the same as my Sherlock's-demented-cousin list. This is exciting! :)

I've spent a rather nice lunchtime sitting in the kitchen as the sun pools through the window and sahara dust floats gently on the breeze, and sorting through a dustbin liner filled with cuddly toys that have partially been victimised and soiled by a family of mice.

How was that enjoyable you ask?

Well in between I read the story written for me, and I really enjoyed it. Great pacing, interesting take on the theme, nothing like I expected but then, is that not what this is all about?

Fantastic story so thank you kindly mysterious writer.

Now to look at the others and start guessing....

They're never what you expect, are they? Just like the Challenges, it's astonishing how many different perspectives you can get on one theme. :)