Day of the Doctor

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Entertaining and great to see David Tennant again. :)

BUT - wasn't the Timewar frozen in the first place?? I thought that the whole point of the Doctor's background - that the Daleks and Gallifrey were frozen in time already, from the start??

Entertaining and great to see David Tennant again. :)

BUT - wasn't the Timewar frozen in the first place?? I thought that the whole point of the Doctor's background - that the Daleks and Gallifrey were frozen in time already, from the start??
No, the events of the last days of the Time War were time-locked, existing in a loop, Gallifrey being destroyed over and over again. That, presumably, is what the Moment would have done.

This time, it was made to appear that it happened (and since the War Doctor's memories of it will fade, Chris Eccleston's Doctor, as well as Tennant's and, for a long while, Smith's) will continue to believe he actually did destroy it.

I need another watch, possibly with several key episodes from "Rose" onwards, to work out what happened and whether it changed anything or we've all been played and it changed it TO what we already knew, i.e. has he previously said "lock in the moment of being destroyed", "locked in the moment" or, as implied by most of the build-up in the episode, "actually destroyed".

Okay, so 9, 11 and 12 were in on the plan and swooped in to lock Gallifrey into a single moment. How the hell did the other 10 know what was going to happen, when did they all just pop in from?

And if the Curator (which most definitely was Tom Baker, the mad old bugger) is also the Doctor then that is the biggest Dr Who WTF (who knows?) since that regeneration has been and passed.

Still, nice to see Rose again, innit?

Okay, so 9, 11 and 12 were in on the plan and swooped in to lock Gallifrey into a single moment. How the hell did the other 10 know what was going to happen, when did they all just pop in from?

And if the Curator (which most definitely was Tom Baker, the mad old bugger) is also the Doctor then that is the biggest Dr Who WTF (who knows?) since that regeneration has been and passed.

Maybe because it was 1's idea to start the calculation in the sonic screwdriver's software, and they all turned up when the calculation was complete (cell door ?).

Tom Baker turning up as the curator was indeed WTF, fun, though.

Doctor Who mucks about with time and alternate versions of the present that honestly, asking these questions is useless. Could there be answers to these questions? Sure. Come up with a couple. I have.

Ok if we're going to start analysing it, then it just doesn't hang together at all.

If, as we are supposed to believe, 1 was Hurt, then the last thing he did was set off the device with the weapon saying you will be the only one to survive. so there's no way he could go back and steal a tardis (as the real No. 1 - Hartnell). Plus there would be no way that the Daleks could have learnt the secret of time travel (from no 3,4 5 or 6 or whichever, because all the Daleks be dead by then. Furthermore they wouldn't be around to be visited by Harknell in the real episode one cos again they would all be dead, let alone in a position to be wiped out at birth by the goodie two shoes Dr. that had the chance way back whenever. In other words - it was a load of BS dreamt up by someone needing to push our something for the anniversary.

Having said that, there were a few good bits and if you suspend everything you've ever seen about Who over the last 50 years then it OK (ish).

The problem is that suspending everything you've ever seen is now required to watch every episode - even the one from the week before.

I thought we'd established, in the other thread, in one of Hoopy's posts, that Hurt came immediately after McGann, so he wasn't no.1:
In the "Night of the Doctor" prequel we saw Mcgann turn into Hurt Doctor (well, "doctor no more" etc). And Hurt's last comment was definitely a direct nod to Eccelston's comment on his ears the first time he passes a mirror.

Although it's never shown, there would be nothing stopping 8.5, 10 and 11 from contacting their earlier selves (since, to use the episode's pseudo-nonsense, the timelines wouldn't sync and they'd later forget it).

Urgh. I tried to watch this having got excited by the choice of Peter Capaldi as the next doctor, and I couldn't get past the first five minutes. I think I'm through with this programme forever.

I think you're right Anya. As she said, she exists throughout all time and space, so she couldn't forget.
(Does she exist thoughout all alternative versions of time and space, do you think?)

Then Jack turned up to get his wriststrap back and retconned them all. :)

The mini film did indeed show that Hurt is McGann's regeneration. Overall quite enjoyed it. I do wonder if Hurt isnt a true regeneration due to something the Sisters did to regenerate him?

Quite frankly its all new, old cannon has been replaced root and branch, which is no bad thing! Every problem can be explained as a timey wimey wibbly wobbly...well you know...:p