Vampire Diaries or Twilight?

I found the writing worsened in The Vampire Diaries until I found them a bit of a struggle to read; the first three Twilights were tighter and less rushed, I thought.

Favourite YA vampire books: Sunshine by Robin McKinley, and The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black. In neither of these do the vampires sparkle.

I found the writing worsened in The Vampire Diaries until I found them a bit of a struggle to read; the first three Twilights were tighter and less rushed, I thought.

Favourite YA vampire books: Sunshine by Robin McKinley, and The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black. In neither of these do the vampires sparkle.

Thank you I shall get copies of these :)

I found "The Vampire Diaries" a horrible, badly-written read. "Twilight" was better but not something I'd read on a regular basis.

"The Vampire Diaries" TV show, however, was pretty good. Operational word being "was" - it was good until the 3rd season ended... then it went all downhill with way too much soapy drama.

"The Vampire Diaries" TV show, however, was pretty good. Operational word being "was" - it was good until the 3rd season ended... then it went all downhill with way too much soapy drama.
I agree. The first three seasons were good, season four was meh, and the fifth season is currently going nowhere fast.

I read Twilight because I received it as a gift.

I guess it's catchy if you're a teenager and you've never read a vampire book before (although I do not agree about Bella and Edward's love... he's 100yrs old or more, she's 16-17 yrs when they met... For me this is not love, this is pedophilia, sorry).

I tried to watch the first episode of Vampire Dairies and I found it so awful that I decided to stop there. I'm not going to read it either.

I guess it's like tasting the best chocolate cake ever and then try to eat one bought in a supermarket.. it can be good enough for a moment, but it can't be awesome. or memorable

I'd go for Vampire Diaries, too. But if there's any else YA-vampire I would recommend, it's the Vamps series by Nancy Collins.

I stopped watching the show about a handful of episodes into season 4 of TVD.

Too much contrived drama and angst.

I watched TVD until S4 ended and I got the 'ending' I wanted, based on the books most likely ending (my friend wrote to LJ and got a scoop on the planned ending if she could have written it herself). Also only read the books as far as the last one L J Smith wrote, so can't comment on the ghostwritten ones. I haven't read Twilight so can't compare, but found the TVD story better, though some of the writing wasn't always great when I reread the books as an adult.