3.09 The Crossing

J-Sun

Well.

I suspect this episode would fall apart if looked at too closely (holing up in the morgue was the best they could do? HR is a bunch of vampires who just disappear in the daylight? and likely many, more serious, things) but I just rode with it and it was pretty powerful.

And that shot of Fusco killing the dude has to be one of the most memorable images in the show. Absolutely demonic. Intense.

That's one of the reasons I like Fusco - he's so buy-able as a good or a bad cop; as a devoted father or a vengeance demon.

After all that tension, it seemed like we were getting off too easy, so you figure something's up but I still wasn't expecting where we were going - though I should have, since Carter got the kiss of death. And there was the overselling of Carter's effect on Reese's life when I think Finch has a little more to do with it.

But Finch is a bad guy in this ep, really. Like Pharaoh with the hardened heart, he refused his deity and Her Prophet. I'm sure Groves was angling for her own interests but I also believe she very much could have and would have helped. (And we learned John's not the first foot soldier. I don't like that revelation as it undercuts a lot of the stuff we've already seen.)

I wonder though - was this a decision of the writers or the actress who plays Carter? It felt like maybe the writers had to come up with something vs. feeling like an organic, destined part of the story flow. And I wonder if Fusco will get a new partner and, if so, who it will be and whether they'll become part of the gang?

Anyway - lots of moving parts in this ep and very interesting and significant.

(Oh, yeah - stray comment on the motif of the week - risk failure of my objective and my life to get off a snappy line. "I'm here to catch you when you fall." (Finch zaps a guy.) "So it was no trouble to break my thumb." (Fusco to executioner before escaping cuffs.) "I told you I'd end you!" (HR guy shoots at Reese.) And there were likely more, including the guy who's supposed to shoot Fusco, who stands there holding the gun raised for 10 minutes while he delivers multiple send off lines as they banter back and forth.)

So I was right about Carter after all (though I never saw that coming at the end.) But someone needed to die or else it would be unbelievable. And Simmons escaped. And what chance that Quinn will be broken out of jail yet?
That's one of the reasons I like Fusco - he's so buy-able as a good or a bad cop; as a devoted father or a vengeance demon.
I didn't like the character at all in the first Season but he has grown on me.
I wonder though - was this a decision of the writers or the actress who plays Carter?
She talks here: 'Person of Interest' shocker: Taraji P. Henson on Carter's
| Inside TV | EW.com
- but it doesn't really answer your question.
(And we learned John's not the first foot soldier. I don't like that revelation as it undercuts a lot of the stuff we've already seen.)
I didn't like that either for the same reasons, but looking at the timeline anyone that Finch recruited before Reese could not have lasted very long - maybe just one job. Maybe he used private dicks or ex-cops and then realised that what he really needed was a former Green Beret and CIA field officer and actively went out to find Reese. I can believe it was no accidental chance meeting - the machine had to be involved. As for Reese and Carter - that seemed overly sentimental.

Have to agree that the look on Fusco's face is something that will haunt my dreams.

Also agree that Finch probably should have let Root out. It was interesting to note that Shaw is possibly the least biased when it comes to Root, but the question is whether she suggested asking Root's help because Shaw sees root as a tactical advantage, or whether she doesn't entirely agree with Root's incarceration.

Carter was incredibly lucky to survive last week's episode, so I'm not entirely surprised that she was killed this week. Because of the build-up, someone had to die, but to be honest my money was more on Fusco (it was never going to be Reese. I can't even imagine him being in life-threatening danger and not making it out)... until the kiss of death. Ah well.

We're still on for a Big Reese Event! Two failed missions and a dead Carter, coupled with all the talk about Reese being broken until Carter found him, can only spell disenchantment with Finch and the Machine. What might really throw him over the edge is when he learns that the Machine rang Finch as he was going over to greet them, thus distracting him and making him turn away.

Whilst I'm talking about the phone call, bets on what it was? I leaning towards the Machine simply wanting to keep Harold out of harm's way. He may have the relationship he wants with it, but the Machine is still protective of Harold.

EDIT: Are we sure it's a revelation that Reese isn't the first? I could have sworn we were told that way back in the first series. Maybe even implied in the first episode?

She talks here: 'Person of Interest' shocker: Taraji P. Henson on Carter's
| Inside TV | EW.com
- but it doesn't really answer your question.
Thanks for the link - there's an article linked to from that - interview with producers - that sort of does, if you believe them. Sounds like this was their decision and that, while Carter's happy to go off and do some stage work, it wasn't her idea to demand to leave.

I didn't like that either for the same reasons, but looking at the timeline anyone that Finch recruited before Reese could not have lasted very long - maybe just one job. Maybe he used private dicks or ex-cops and then realised that what he really needed was a former Green Beret and CIA field officer and actively went out to find Reese.

Good point. Finch did have a couple of not-very-good bodyguards with him when Reese was recruited so maybe all they meant was that sort of thing. They still could have left it out, though. :)

As for Reese and Carter - that seemed overly sentimental.

Agreed.

I'm sorry for not being able to write in these thread for two weeks. Person Of Interest is still close to my heart and it's one of those series I absolutely follow. And seeing the producers picked up my prediction and followed it closely just made my heart jump. Especially as Fusco bought it so closely, and then again when the bloody ******* walked out from the darkness to put Reese and Carter near morgue.

But...

... knowing what they've done previously with dead characters, I wouldn't be surprised if Carter would end up in somewhere in West Indies to chase baddies, with her pal Reese making margaritas at the sunset settings.

However, I could not think Reese would be able to put his life in the past and just walk out from Finch settings, even if he wanted. The life he used to have has driven him to be the dark knight in the city full of crooked people. So he might take a vacation and leave Shaw handle the business before the season ending.

And that is the truth r00t revealed in this episode, the man in the suit is something Finch cannot let go even though it's highly possible, there has been other helpers around before.

So, while the Machine is mostly Finches creation I believe if he wanted he could still be able to create another one. One he could use to talk to the Machine and find out what it knows about the Analogue. He might have backups in some secret location.

Anyways, I loved both this and the last episode, and I predict the phone call is all about r00t and her mission as the producers cannot slow down the pacing even if Reese and Carter are out from the picture for a while.