Time tourists - Lincoln assassination - woman author

Extollager

The story was published within the past 20 years The author was a woman. As I recall it is told from the point of view of a contemporary of Abraham Lincoln, who is noticing but not understanding an influx of strangers. We come to realize they are disguised time travelers who want to be present on the day when the president was assassinated. Help, please! It was first published in one of the magazines and reprinted in a multi-author collection....

PS I read it in an anthology, but I think it might have first appeared in an issue of Asimov's, if that helps....

robert asprin did a series of time scout novels, but i don't know if this is part of it..

No, I'm sure it's not, but thanks! The story is only around 15 pages, as I recall.

No, it's not that.

It is quite subtly done -- the viewpoint character(s) never realizes what is going on.

The story is "Standing Room Only" by Karen Joy Fowler, as published in Kelly and Kessel's The Secret History of Science Fiction.

It first appeared in Asimov's for August 1997, according to the copyright section of the book.