sword and sorcery

I don't see how an entire genre can consist of only one real character, and remain meaningful.

Well, subgenre, and if anyone could do it, it would be Conan. But you're right, I guess. Howard did do some other very good characters within the Genre. Bran Mak Morn and King Kull come to mind. And Fahfrd/GMouser is very close to Conan, while being very different

The Lost Continent by C J Cutcliffe Hynd, written in 1899, It is the first fantsy novel dealing with the Lost continent of Atlantis. In terms of writing style, prose, character and overall story telling, it is surprising modern and accessible, An excellent read.:)

The Reign of Wizardry by Jack Williamson Long time out of print, It's very much an underrated novel by a great writer.(y)

Typewriter in the Sky by L .Ron Hubbard . It's a fun read pretty good book. (y)

There's Brak the Barbarian by John Jakes.

It's been a long while since I've read a good S&S novel but yeah - I still consider myself a fan of it. And thanks for the several recommendations in this very thread for books I haven't tried yet. :)

Fritz Leiber's Fafherd and the Grey Mouser stories (y)

Whilst moving,i lost BOTH a Solomon Kane anthology and a Conan collection with a pretty good Frazetta cover:eek:o_O:cry:
But at least i've been able to buy the Tritonian Ring
Now for some JIREL anthology....

There is indeed. Truly execrable. One small step down the crapness ladder from Raven: Swordmistress of Chaos.

Never heard of Raven. Is it as good as John Norman Gor novels? :D

Never heard of Raven. Is it as good as John Norman Gor novels? :D
Worse. The Gor books started out OK then went very odd. They became unreadable for me, but at least they were ideosyncratic. Raven was simply 1980s exploitation S&S with some extra tits and les action thrown in. Written by Richard Kirk, which I think was a pseudonym for Robert Holdstock, who was capable of much, much better stuff. Brak, as far as I recall, was simply dull: reducing the already somewhat tired clichees of S&S to truly 2D cardboard.
51eZDFiS5-L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Worse. The Gor books started out OK then went very odd. They became unreadable for me, but at least they were ideosyncratic. Raven was simply 1980s exploitation S&S with some extra tits and les action thrown in. Written by Richard Kirk, which I think was a pseudonym for Robert Holdstock, who was capable of much, much better stuff. Brak, as far as I recall, was simply dull: reducing the already somewhat tired clichees of S&S to truly 2D cardboard.
51eZDFiS5-L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Even the cover puts me off, I've never seen that on any book shelfs here in the states.:eek:

It's not technically sword and sorcery, but I highly recommend Harold Lamb's Complete Cossack Tales to anyone who likes colourful, red-blooded adventures in an exotic land. Set in 16th century Central Asia, the stories are as imaginative and strange as the genuine article. Both Howard and Vance were strongly influenced by Lamb's stories, which were published in Adventure magazine in the 1910s.

I am a huge fan of Kane, and I think Karl Edward Wagner captured something very special with that particular character.

Michael Moorcock, even at his most rushed and overtly commercial, managed to give s&s a literary feel that took it away from the pulp sensibility that dominated (and to a large extent still eliminates) the majority of the (sub)genre.

I think writers like ER Eddision and Fletcher Pratt can be, broadly speaking, brought into the s&s fold, along with William Morris, Clark Ashton Smith (an all time favourite of mine) and Lord Dunsany at least as examples of proto sword and sorcery.

Robert E Howard remains the wellspring of the genre, of course, even if Conan was diluted by other hands as the stories were added to by other hands.

This coming August the Kane novels are coming back into print. :)

Hi, Baylor.

Do you have more information, like who the publisher is?

Thanks,
Randy M.

I would like see them reissue Andrew Ouffits' Cormac art Pastiche novels. They were quite good.(y)

The Dark World by Henry Kuttner

Black God's Kiss by C L Moore

Jack Chalker's Dancing Gods series is quite good.:)