In search of title: ideal planet, hotels, lawsuit

clutter

I'm trying to recollect the title of the following book/story:

an astronaut lands on a nirvana, utopia type of world. Unfortunately the same world is also found by others who quickly start to build hotels and the like.
The astronaut eventually dies, but leaves the people with a great message. The inhabitant do not realize the importance of message until they are faced with a lawsuit against the hotels owners. In the end they win the lawsuit due tp this message.

Cheers

Can't help, as it's not one I've read, but I'll move this pver to Book Search which the more learned denizens frequent, and with luck one of them might know it.

Does the astronaut tell them that in order to survive the coming 'invasion' that they must all learn to read and write English? This will enable them to petition the government for status as an independent world, not subject to the 'colonial' rules that the hotel owners are pushing for?
He then proceeds to teach them English and writing...
I remember the plot I'm thinking of, but not the source... probably a short story (Analog magazine, maybe).
--Paul E Musselman

Sounds like "Little Fuzzies" by H. Beam Piper. See also "Fuzzy Nation" by John Scalzi, which is essentially a re-write of the original.

Perhaps
J Lloyd Biggle "Monument"?

I was thinking kind of halfway this might be the answer. If it helps at all, here is my review of Monument from some time ago.

Expanded from a 1961 story, this novel tells of a tropical, paradisical planet whose "natives" (in a complex backstory, they're actually human beings who landed on the planet long ago) face a kind of passive extermination when the tycoon who is "developing" the place threatens their food supply. The front cover calls it a "terrifying novel about the final battle between a sensual paradise and a death-dealing civilization" but that's not true at all. It's a rather low-key affair, although serious issues are at stake. The "battle" is fought with lawyers and other forms of non-violent resistance. The inside cover continues the sort of hyperbole as the front, with things like "the explosive new novel of an ultradeadly experiment," which is utter nonsense. It's a shame that this gentle, modest, humane novel was being sold with such drivel.

I agree with chrispenycate and Victoria. Like Paul, I couldn't remember the title, but this definitely sounds like the right plot, and the online summaries I've seen of "Monument" are for the same story.

I would have read this in the collection "Analog: The Best of Science Fiction", so your hunch about the source seems like further evidence that this is the one you want.

Back