Fiction and poetry recommendations for certain reader

Tracer01

Interface, atmosphere, members of community. If p
Hello, comrades. It's me again.

Let me share my misery with you first.

Today I've got a phone call from my language studio. The content of the dialogue was approximately like that:

"Hello? Vladimir? It's a 'Lingvoland', we are going to begin the lessons very soon."
"Yeah, when, what time?"
"Oh, in two weeks or so...Mondays and Wednesdays, comfy for you?"
"Mondays and Wednesdays...The same teacher, Lisa?"
"No, but don't you worry, all of our teachers are qualified and have certificates..."
"I do not care about papers...are the group the same?"
"No, you know, the group is divided and...you have only one person remained. Some of them are promoted to the next level, some left."
"What about me? Can I join the 'Advanced-English' group?
"Oh, you need a personal recommendation from your teacher. Also you must have speaking skills almost at the level of native and..."
Ten...nine...eight...
"You know, I'm writing a book. In English."
"Oh, really?!"
Two...one...zero.
"Go f#ck yourself, please."
BEEP

That secretary definitely considers me rude. Maybe, some of you would agree with her.

But I'm thinking, I've done the right thing.
After my teacher made a number of compliments to my vocabulary and decision to write, after she smiled to me, like her American friend have taught her...she betrayed me.
Remember that words on the picture I've posted? She did it to show the picture to her friends, pretending she almost like them. She trading her body features from most of her pictures posted in VK network, and want to achieve Western citizenship and place to enjoy life there. Through a bedroom, I presume.

Right now it became personal, ladies and gentlemen. I have to finish this book of mine, just to prove myself that I'm capable. I still have some issues with grammar, so I, probably will try to find a different teachers and study books.

Never mind. What I want to ask from you it's an interesting fiction material. Interesting language-wise. Dialogues and narration, rich vocabulary, good grammar. Plot is not important. Poetry is also very welcome. Good poetry, not necessary classics. Could you give me any recommendations with that kind of literature?

Last edited:
You have an attitude problem and it's not something to be proud of.

English is a completely different language to Russian, and uses a completely different alphabet. That you can converse in English to any degree is an amazing accomplishment. I can say this clearly as someone who is trying to study Russian as a language.

Your teacher has obviously done very well, and you are nothing but rude and ungrateful to denigrate her for not making you author material in a short space of time.

However, and here's your big problem - you refuse to accept criticism. You refuse to accept that you might not have gained enough competency to advance your language studies. That in itself is not a problem - but refusing to accept you need to learn more to get better is.

If you cannot accept that you need to work harder, and can do better, then there's no point in your trying to be a writer. Because you are always going to think you can do better than you can, and therefore fail to reach any competent standard.

That's entirely your life choice to make, but just don't come here thinking we'll think you're a better person for it, because you are not.

If I were you, I'd apologise profusely to the secretary, and try to learn. If you want any chance of realistically achieving your goals.

Or you can just be rude, and spend your life bemoaning that you are a great writer and it is everyone else who is wrong.

Simply my personal opinion.

Your teacher has obviously done very well, and you are nothing but rude and ungrateful to denigrate her for not making you author material in a short space of time.
You are getting me wrong. I'd be fine if she's told me what I need to do to step up to the next level. She use to telling me I'm doing good. But, she marked me with "C", just because I haven't try to making my speech sound-alike what she considers 'pure American Speech', and call lyrics of Lady Gaga's songs kind of dumb for my taste.

However, and here's your big problem - you refuse to accept criticism.
I do accept criticism and always grateful if you fix my writing and offer some improvements with narration and plot.

If I were you, I'd apologize profusely to the secretary, and try to learn. If you want any chance of realistically achieving your goals.
Thanks for an advice, but I won't do it.

I won't apologize to the horse-riding instructor, who use to make some sexist declarations and told me to buy my own horse if I want to ride better. Forty-years old, divorced, man-hating woman, who's told me that men are only capable to making children and never do anything useful beyond that wishes me to like and respect her. I cannot. Too bad.

Some of you may think, that I hate women. It is not true. I simply do not like being pushed with no obvious reason.

It is just my opinion, I did not wanted to offend anybody, especially those who like Lady Gaga's music and lyrics. I haven't listen to Justin Bieber's songs so can't say anything about how sophisticated and touching are they.

Back to the topic, could you recommend something?

Last edited:

Back