400 words - revised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
All scenes are written from the named character POV, but I find trying to write for this character really hard, not least trying to inflect with a rural sensibility that doesn't distract from the narrative.

This version is probably still a little rough - I've not dedicated editing time to it yet - but see if it works better than the first draft:

21. COLOURS OF SPRING

Ulric

His body was heavy as old logs and swayed dully with each movement of the horse. Ulric would’ve felt sleepy but his bones were all bruised and stiff, and his crotch rubbed raw in the saddle.

Not long after they’d left the knights they’d stopped at the spring they’d drunk from earlier. This time both him and Dalathos found quiet spots away from each other. Ulric had taken off his new boots and trousers and small clothes, and washed the soiling from his skin with both hands. Now he cursed dressing when still wet. He would need to find dock leaves or plantain to calm his skin.

This black horse was a lot taller and more powerful than Sirath’s little mules. He could see more, but he had further to fall if he weren’t careful. He could not forget he sat in someone else’s saddle.

He tried to remember what had happened before, but it was all a blur: a terror like nothing else he’d ever felt; the smell of metal and stink of gutting; screaming from men and horses like he never wanted to hear again. There weren’t anything more but a feeling of shame that weighted his chest. Dried blood and grass and mud streaked his breastplate, but he couldn’t recall how it’d got there.

The day faded to twilight. Bats flitted about the bushes and along the road.

They were still far from the city. And a thunderhead filled the sky, clouds boiling black around it. His auntie said roads were used by robbers and Jerith had warned that riding in the dark could cause a fall.

“Dal? We need to stop and make camp while we can.”

Dalathos tried to rub some life into his face. “We should find a farmstead. We’re Emperors Guard. We deserve good hospitality.”

Ulric feared to meet anyone in case they could see through him and what he’d done. And after the past few days in the city he needed to stay outside, under the roof of the sky. He hoped the spirit of this land would wash over and forgive and refresh him, and touched a loop of leather and feather for it. “We need to make camp while we still have some light,” Ulric said stubbornly.

Dalathos shrugged. “It’s up to Lieutenant Domus. He’s the officer.”

Ulric kicked his horse like he would the mule, and it snorted back angrily at him before trotting forward.

Domus sat slumped in his saddle, holding a hand to the side of his head where his hair was slashed and his face was bloodied.

“We need to stop,” Ulric told him. “Now. I can set our camp.”

Domus winced. “Shh ... my head hurts.”

Ulric offered him a strip of willow from his kitbag, but the officer refused with a wave of his hand.

Ulric was too tired to argue, and he weren’t going to be lead somewhere he didn’t want to be anymore. He saw a copse of grandfather beech on a small rise just ahead. The trees would provide some shelter from the coming rain, and the ground should be safe against flooding.

“Over there,” he said, and trotted off towards it. Dry orange leaves crackled under the hooves. Ulric wanted Dalathos to follow, but just didn’t care anymore if he didn’t. He needed to rest his head and hoped he’d feel better after sleep.

Dismounting, his legs almost gave way. His trousers rubbed more sore than ever. He eyed the shape of the land for shade and damp where he might find the plants he needed.

The clomping of hooves sounded behind. Ulric turned to see Dalathos leading Domus’s horse. He was glad they’d joined him so he set to making camp straight away.

He took a trowel from his kitbag and dug a pit for a fire, piling the dark earth around the edge. He pulled together dry leaves and kindling. Dalathos handed him his new tinderbox, and the flints were sharp and the steel shiny in the remaining light. Sparks came fast and fire took easily.

Ulric needed to range for logs to keep the heat going. He hobbled away like a cripple to stop his trousers chafing so painfully. He was glad when he got out of sight of the others.

A small ravine ran close by, and despite the dying light of day it was filled with the colours of spring. Ulric found some Dove’s Foot, crushed a handful of stalks, and rubbed it about his thighs and buttocks with his trousers at his ankles.

... [Scene continues]

Notes on the above:

1. Not entirely happy with the 2nd and 3rd sections. Maybe need to be more concise in the 2nd.

2. Making the fire - technically, this paragraph can go. However, as I've already stated the ground is deep with dried leaves, some readers may see a problem with making a fire here because it has not been explained how this is addressed. Besides, in an earlier scene we saw Dalathos buy a new tinderbox, amongst other things, so there's continuity here.

Maybe the reason of why you find Ulric to be hard write in this chapter, is because in the back of your mind something is saying that this could have been written in a completely different POV. And maybe that is the reason why the beginning feels so heavy and slow in pace.

Does that make any sense?

But in its own right the way you have written this chapter is right. The narrative makes the reader to feel the stress and worries on the character shoulders. So maybe you just make light edits and leave it as it is, yeah?

I thought his voice came through better the longer it went on, but it still feels a bit inhibited. There are times when a rich, unlearned way of speaking and thinking seems almost to come through, but you chicken out. As an example: "Sparks came fast and fire took easily". If you replace "easily" with "easy", though not grammatically correct, the feel of it is completely changed; it becomes (for me) earthy, poetic and rhythmic. "easily" destroys that; it feels like an educated person wimping out of getting too deep into the linguistic mud.

I think you could lose most of your adverbs, in fact; they seem alien to the rural voice I imagine you're trying to get across, and they rarely add anything.

The other general point: I think you use his name too often. There's no need to bring his name in if you're already talking about a "he" and the reader knows the "he" is Ulric. This is especially apparent in the first paragraph. (Actually you could swap the "he" and "Ulric" around in that one.)

Apart from that, I thought this was an improvement over what I remember of the previous draft, but the voice needs to have more confidence about it (yours, not the character's). A good way of getting into voice, if you're having trouble with it, is to try writing sections in first person (even first-person present), and see how it differs in feel, and then translate it (though not slavishly) to third.

Hope that helps a bit.

I thought this was better in terms of flow, but had a few teethies to add, anyway. :)

His body was heavy as old logs and swayed dully with each movement of the horse. Ulric would’ve felt sleepy but his bones were all bruised and stiff, and his crotch rubbed rawso is it still rubbing raw or has it in the past, should there be a was. Also, I'm not a bloke but do you think of it as your crotch or use a more -- voicier? -- term? in the saddle.

Not long after they’d left the knights they’d stopped at the spring they’dthree they'd was a bit of a mouthful. I'd consider making one they had, or, preferably editing to get rid of one. drunk from earlier. This time both him and Dalathos found quiet spots away from each other. Ulric had taken off his new boots and trousers and small clothes, and washed the soiling from his skin with both hands. Now he cursed dressing when still wet. He would need to find dock leaves or plantain to calm his skin.

This black horse was a lot taller and more powerful than Sirath’s little mules. He could see more, but he had further to fall if he weren’t careful. He could not forget he sat in someone else’s saddle.This seems a little dropped in

He tried to remember what had happened before, but it was all a blur: a terror like nothing else he’d ever felt; the smell of metal and stink of gutting; screaming from men and horses like he never wanted to hear again. There weren’t anything more but a feeling of shame that weighted his chest. Dried blood and grass and mud streaked his breastplate, but he couldn’t recall how it’d got there.

They were still far from the city. And a thunderhead filled the sky, clouds boiling black around it. His auntie said roads were used by robbers and Jerith had warned that riding in the dark could cause a fall.

Dalathos tried to rub some life into his facefor me, this felt like a pov jump. “We should find a farmstead. We’re Emperors GuardOoh, definitely not working for me that title.. We deserve good hospitality.”

Ulric feared to meet anyone in case they could see through him and what he’d done. And after the past few days in the city he needed to stay outside, under the roof of the sky. He hoped the spirit of this land would wash over and forgive and refresh him, and touched a loop of leather and feather for it. “We need to make camp while we still have some light,” Ulric said stubbornly.

Ulric kicked his horse like he would the mule, and it snorted back angrily at him before trotting forward.

Domus sat slumped in his saddle, holding a hand to the side of his head where his hair was slashedhair slashed? doesn't sound too bad, is it a cut head? and his face was bloodied.

Ulric offered him a strip of willow from his kitbag, but the officer refused with a wave of his hand.

UlricI agree with Harebrain -- his name is getting noticeable now was too tired to argue, and he weren’t going to be lead somewhere he didn’t want to be anymore. He saw a copse of grandfather beech on a small rise just ahead. The trees would provide some shelter from the coming rain, and the ground should be safe against flooding.

“Over there,” he said, and trotted off towards it. Dry orange leaves crackled under the hooves. Ulric wanted Dalathos to follow, but just didn’t care anymore if he didn’t. He needed to rest his head and hoped he’d feel better after sleep.

Dismounting, his legs almost gave way. His trousers rubbed more sore than ever. He eyed the shape of the land for shade and damp where he might find the plants he needed.

The clomping of hooves sounded behind. Ulric turned to see Dalathos leading Domus’s horse. He was glad they’d joined him so he set to making camp straight away.

He took a trowel from his kitbag and dug a pit for a fire, piling the dark earth around the edge. He pulled together dry leaves and kindling. Dalathos handed him his new tinderbox, and the flints were sharp and the steel shiny in the remaining light. Sparks came fast and fire took easily.

Ulric needed to range for logs to keep the heat going. He hobbled away like a cripple to stop his trousers chafing so painfully. He was glad when he got out of sight of the others.

A small ravine ran close by, and despite the dying light of day it was filled with the colours of spring. Ulric found some Dove’s Foot, crushed a handful of stalks, and rubbed it about his thighs and buttocks with his trousers at his ankles.

... [Scene continues][/QUOTE]

Some of it sounds quite voicey, and then it goes into a description of action eg, the last paragraph, and the voice seems to fade. I think that's where you, the author, are taking over a bit. I'd suggest reading it aloud and seeing where his voice drops off? But I thought, overall, much better.

Maybe the reason of why you find Ulric to be hard write in this chapter, is because in the back of your mind something is saying that this could have been written in a completely different POV. And maybe that is the reason why the beginning feels so heavy and slow in pace.

I do get that sometimes - but it's Ulric's scenes in general. I have to break the rules of English in a convincing yet consistent way, but I'm still lacking in my English comprehension. :)

It's a very valid observation, though - I've had to do this a few times with scenes - rewrite from a different POV due to difficulties, usually because the POV wasn't active enough.

"Sparks came fast and fire took easily". If you replace "easily" with "easy", though not grammatically correct, the feel of it is completely changed; it becomes (for me) earthy, poetic and rhythmic. "easily" destroys that; it feels like an educated person wimping out of getting too deep into the linguistic mud.

That's a great suggestion - I'll look at this closely when I'm editing. Thanks for that. :)

I think that's where you, the author, are taking over a bit. I'd suggest reading it aloud and seeing where his voice drops off?

Another excellent suggestion - I think this will help me a lot - many thanks for the suggestion. :)

I thought the first two lines contradict, first line felt sleepy then you tell us the character isn’t sleepy.
As per Springs for the second section, too many they’d(s).
The first dialogue line had no speech tag so I wondered who was speaking.

You don’t seem to be choosing between dialogue/character POV and author narration, you switch between both in the section without settling into either. The last few sections felt distant from the character to me. So very similar to what’s being said before.

Clearly this section is not coming together for you and I know that feeling only too well, linking sections sometimes aren’t as much fun to write. If I’m having problems I sometimes (with reluctance I admit, I like to keep at sections until complete) skip forward and return later, it works for me when something is not pulling together.

Good luck with it.

This first paragraph is not your best effort.:)

His body was heavy as old logs (no t'wasnt, tho maybe it felt that way)and swayed (dully- dull swaying huh?) with each movement of the horse. Ulric would’ve (maybe should've?) felt sleepy but his bones were (all- every one of them?) bruised and (stiff bones...errrr..), and his crotch rubbed raw (from or by) the saddle.

J. N. Itpik

21. COLOURS OF SPRING

Ulric

His body was heavy as old logs and swayed dully with each movement of the horse. Ulric would’ve felt sleepy but his bones were all bruised and stiff, and his crotch rubbed raw in by? the saddle. Any horse-riders out there care to comment?

Not long after they’d left the knights comma? they’d they had? stopped at the spring they’d drunk from earlier. This time both him and Dalathos found quiet spots away from each other. Ulric had taken off his new boots and trousers and small clothes, and washed the soiling from his skin with both hands. Now he cursed dressing when still wet. He would need to find dock leaves or plantain to calm his skin.

This black horse was a lot taller and more powerful than Sirath’s little mules. He could see more, but he had further to fall if he weren’t careful. He could not forget he sat in someone else’s saddle.

They were still far from the city. And a thunderhead filled the sky, clouds boiling black around it. His auntie said roads were used by robbers and Jerith had warned that riding in the dark could cause a fall. Reads jerkily. 3x unconnected sentences.

Dalathos tried to rub some life into his face. “We should find a farmstead. We’re Emperors s' ? Guard. We deserve good hospitality.”

Domus sat slumped in his saddle, holding a hand to the side of his head where his hair scalp? was slashed and his face was bloodied.

Ulric was too tired to argue, and he weren’t going to be lead led somewhere he didn’t want to be anymore. He saw a copse of grandfather beech on a small rise just ahead. The trees would provide some shelter from the coming rain, and the ground should be safe against flooding.

... [Scene continues]
Good work.
I couldn't see anything seriously wrong with it myself, but OTOH I wouldn't disagree with the other comments made.

Remove
Notes

His body was heavy as old logs and swayed dully with each movement of the horse. Ulric would’ve felt sleepy but his bones were all (adding this lengthns the sentence too much) bruised and stiff, and his crotch rubbed raw in the saddle. Perhaps try '...but his bones were bruised, stiff, and his crotch rubbed raw...' also think about using a synonym, maybe a comical little anecdotal word, if that suits the character

Not long after they’d 'they had' left the knights they’d stopped at the spring they’d which they drunk from earlier. This time both him and Dalathos found quiet spots away from each other. Ulric had taken off his new boots and trousers and small clothes, and washed the soiling from his skin with both hands. Now he cursed dressing when still wet. He would need to find dock leaves or plantain to calm his skin.

Okay I haven't read the other comments so I apologise for any repetition here.

His body was heavy as old logs and he swayed dully with each movement of the horse. The horse is constantly moving so there isn’t an individual movement as such. Ulric would’ve felt sleepy but his bones were all bruised and stiff, and his crotch rubbed raw in the saddle. You can still feel sleepy even if in discomfort or pain.

Not long after they’d left the knights they’d stopped at the spring they’d drunk from earlier. Used 'they’d' twice, remove. This time both him and Dalathos found quiet spots away from each other. Are they fighting? nice to dwell/explore this tension further. Ulric had taken off his new boots and trousers and small clothes, and washed the soiling from his skin with both hands. Sentence too long, break up. Now remove now he cursed, he hated dressing while wet. He would need to find dock leaves or plantain to calm his skin.

This black horse was a lot taller and more powerful than Sirath’s little mules. Mules aren’t that little. He could see more, but he had further to fall if he weren’t careful. He could not forget he sat in someone else’s saddle.

They were still far from the city. And a thunderhead filled the sky, clouds boiling black around it. His auntie said roads were used by robbers and Jerith had warned that riding in the dark could cause a fall. I thought this was an old man, but he talks about his auntie as if she’s alive. Sorry but this guy is a bit of a wimp when it comes to horse riding, I thought they were only walking down a lane. Now perhaps if he was galloping in the dark that would be scary.

Dalathos tried to rub some life into his face. “We should find a farmstead. We’re Emperors Guard. We deserve good hospitality.”

Ulric feared to meet anyone in case they could see through him and what he’d done. And after the past few days in the city he needed to stay outside, under the roof of the sky. He hoped the spirit of this land would wash over and forgive and refresh him, and touched a loop of leather and feather for it. “We need to make camp while we still have some light,” Ulric said stubbornly. Too many ands.

Ulric kicked his horse like he would the mule, and it snorted back angrily at him before trotting forward. This seems strange to me, you don’t kick horses differently to mules. Perhaps you mean he dug his heels hard into the animals flanks, but I don’t think a horse that’s been under the saddle all day would be bothered either way.

Domus sat slumped in his saddle, holding a hand to the side of his head where his hair was slashed and his face was bloodied.

“We need to stop,” Ulric told him. “Now remove now I can set up our camp.”

Ulric offered him a strip of willow from his kitbag (kitbag does sound a little bit like PE kit to me), but the officer refused with a wave of his hand.

Ulric was too tired to argue, and he weren’t going to be lead somewhere he didn’t want to be anymore. He saw a copse of grandfather beech on a small rise just ahead. The trees would provide some shelter from the coming rain, and the ground should be safe remove ‘should be safe’ with 'was elevated' against flooding.

“Over there,” he said, and trotted off remove ‘off’ towards it. Dry orange (seems a strange colour, reds or golds maybe) leaves crackled under the hooves. Ulric wanted Dalathos to follow, but just didn’t care anymore if he didn’t Remove ‘if he didn’t’ word repetition. This is actually a contradictory statement. He needed to rest his head and hoped he’d feel better after sleep.

Dismounting, his legs almost gave way. His trousers rubbed more sore replace sore with painfully than ever. eyed the shape of the land for shade and damp where he might find the plants he needed. reads strangely. He eyed the rolling landform for areas of shade where he’d find the plants he sought. Also it was twilight a while ago so he probably wouldn’t be able to see anything, anyway.

He took a trowel from his kitbag and dug a pit for a fire, piling the dark earth around the edge. He pulled together (gathered) dry leaves and kindling. Dalathos handed him his new tinderbox. Full stop The flints were sharp and the steel shiny in the remaining light. Sparks came fast and fire took (you’ve used the word took a few times now) easily.

Ulric needed to replace to with a range for logs to keep the heat going Fires keep going heat is generated. He hobbled away like a cripple to stop his trousers chafing so painfully. He was glad when he got out of sight of the others.

A small ravine ran close by, and despite the dying light of day it was filled with the colours of spring (I think of pastel shades in spring, but the leaves are orange so I thought it was autumn?) Ulric found some Dove’s Foot, crushed a handful of stalks, and rubbed it about his thighs and buttocks with his trousers at his ankles.

... [Scene continues]

Thanks for letting me read this I,Brian. I enjoyed reading this.

I do a lot of horse riding so I know the feeling. However if you’ve been riding from a young age and do it a lot you wouldn’t get saddle sores particularly if you were only walking the horse. You’d need to be doing some fast paced workout for days to be in the state this chaps in. Of course if he never rides it's fine.

Okay I'm not really sure if Ulric is fighting with Dalathos or whether their friends. As he was glad to see him, but at the beginning he didn't care. I'm not sure if Ulric is young or old? All I know is that he's a wimp around horses, and knows some herblore. I'd guess he was a farmers son from the way he speaks. Of course I realise that all of this would be explained in other scenes, but in this one it's ambiguous to me.

I just saw Cosmic Geoff's comment, yes you're crotch area can be rubbed raw from horse riding, especially for beginners who lean to far forward in the saddle. I have a nice sheepskin cover to prevent that very thing as the pommel of my saddle is a little high. :)

when i read the passage something didn't seem right... kind of a disjointed feeling. then i read harebrain's post and i thought that's hit the nail on the head... at times it seemed a very personal unlearned narrative and then seemed to switch to a more intellectual voice distant from the MC (i think mainly when you're getting descriptive)

so yeah basically what harebrain said :)

Status
Not open for further replies.