Elmore Leonard died yesterday

soulsinging

the dude abides
I know he's not an SFF writer, but he was a truly prolific crime writer and I know there are a few fans of that genre around here. I've actually never read one of his books, though he's been on my to-read list for ages. I have enjoyed several of the movies made from his books though, particularly Jackie Brown, Get Shorty, and 3:10 to Yuma.

Anyway, just thought I'd take a moment to pay tribute to a legend of my favorite genre, even if that is blasphemy to say here ;)

Elmore Leonard, writer of sharp, colorful crime stories, dead at 87 - CNN.com

I stand corrected. I believe i have seen Stick, but nothing else.

"Maximum Bob" and "Justified" the TV series are based on his books. He is also listed as an executive producer on Justified.

Another writer I mean to read more of.

Anyway, I did read When the Women Come Out to Dance, a collection of short stories that has since been reissued with a different title (relating to a story with Raylan Givens, a character in a few of his stories). In those stories Leonard's ability to convey setting and character with few brush strokes, and more over to do most of that work with dialog was a bit intimidating to those of us prone to run off at the keyboard.

Randy M.