Time Management

Tecdavid

Verdentia's Gardener
This site will surely be suffering no shortage of
I can't imagine there's some all-encompassing trick to it, but how do we each go about finding the time for our writing, and for everything surrounding it (Chrons browsing, market research, beta reading, etc.)? I know it's just a matter of putting in the effort, even when we're busy, but I'm interested to hear how everyone structures their writing schedule, and goes about balancing the stresses of life and storytelling. :)

I work from home and it fluctuates in terms of business (I'm in education.) My kids are at school 9-3. (Bliss). When they're out I either work or write, depending how much work I have on. I always write between 3 and 6 although I make sure I take a break, and I have to stop to make dinner and do homeworks. I tend to do any critting I have and any planning for the next day in the evening in front of the telly with a notepad.

I have two kids, I run the house, I do the shopping, I work about 25 hours a week, I have an allotment, a big garden, a dog, a cat, two fish and a hubby to look after. It all just muddles in together, but essentially if I'm not doing something with one of the above, I'm writing.

I'd love to eventually be able to give up one of my strands of work to make more time for... um, writing probably. :)

This is my writing time. Now. As you can see, I don't use it wisely. (I'm also supposed to be doing an hour's work from home every day which uh... doesn't always happen).

I don't sit in traffic. I occasionally get stuck behind a tractor but that's about it! ;)

I don't 'time manage' as such, but I try and make sure that I've got a plan of sorts. I have both a date I want to be complete by, to keep me focused on the long game, and a vague chapter/event plan beyond just knowing where my story is going to end up.

Oddly though, once I'm in a good writing sessions and 'in the flow', the plan tends to go happily right out the window as my characters just do whatever they should be doing at the time in response to what's going on.
(It's almost like trying to run a D&D game... but I can no longer be annoyed at OTHER people for not doing what I expect!)

ironicley I find it harder to write at home there are to many distractions (dam you internet) I need to take my self away prefibley to a nice wirless dead spot. I started writing on the 30 min train journy home but now I spend a couple of hours a couple of days a week at a cafe in oxford

I spend a couple of hours a couple of days a week at a cafe in oxford

Maybe I should do that, between phone calls, emails and sheer distractability I hardly ever put in my planned number of hours.

I occasionally get stuck behind a tractor

I've just been for a walk: my excuse is a) for inspiration - it worked, and b) to stretch my back, too long slumped in front of PC. And I had to climb the bank (no flat verges) 3 times to avoid a tractor toing and froing. That's what they do all day round here.

GG Kay recently said he doesn't give writers advice because everyone's approach is so different (On Not Giving Advice | Brightweavings Journal).

I always feel like a loner here at Chrons. For me it's less about finding the time and more about getting myself in good shape to be able to use the time. I might have an entire day but if I'm not well rested and relaxed I can't do a damn thing.

That said, I did make some hard decisions to give me more time. I cut my hours at work. My work involves helping people, I love it, so doing less really aches sometimes. And it means a big drop in income. Pretty much every decision to do something in life, to gain something, is a decision to give up something else.

Coragem.

I sympathise with you Coragem.

At the moment, I seem to be able to only get a couple of hours a week in. I work nights, my wife works evenings from Weds-Sat and a full day Sun. I have next week off work but much of that will be taken up with decorating the house. It's very difficult for me to get in enough time to have any sort of relationship with my wife, let alone write anything.

I don't get a full morning's sleep between Weds-Sat as she starts work at 2.30pm so I have to be up by 1.30pm (I go to bed at 7am) to get her to work and by the time I've dropped her off it's almost impossible for me to get back to sleep when I get home.

I was going to turn this into a big 'feeling sorry for myself' ranty type thing, but I'm sure none of you want to read my griping.

Normally, I'd make an hour or two to go and sit in the local with my best friend, who offers a bit of feedback here and there. Unfortunately he's off on the other side of the country at the moment and won't be back until I come back off holiday. It tends to be these times when I get the most stuff done.

I listened to this just a week or so ago. It has some practical tips on making time for your priority (writing!).

Mary Allen

I've been trying one of the suggestions - setting a time you will write in. I've chosen an hour a day. I used to set myself word count targets but, so far, I'm preferring the time-box. It keeps my "monkey nearer to the tree" as the speaker says.

What I worry about most is fatigue. When there's a sudden change to one's schedule, or if there's been a tough week at work, the temptation to just spend the evening relaxing is pretty dang strong.

this is one reasin I go somewhere else to write it gets me somwhere I can not realy do anything else and after the frist hump to get my self back into my work it comes a lot easer