Prologue of "Contractor" 1387 words. Warning, murder scene depicted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkchild130

Cat loving Mercenary scum
Hi there, this is the prologue from a military scifi story I am currently writing. It is still in draft form and hasn't been to my proof reader as of yet so I'm not too bothered by grammar at this stage. I really just want some feedback on the feel of the piece, whether it works as an opening etc.

I can hear them. They want to know that they're not alone.
But I can't answer. I have no voice.​

Senior Special Agent Tobias Smith stepped down from the hatch of his transport and scowled. He hated outer colonies.

He didn't hate the people. On the contrary, he admired their frontier spirit and work ethic. It took a hardy soul to prosper out here in the stix.

What he hated was the lifestyle. Tracking perps for months, living out of a cabin on a ship barely big enough to stretch your arms in, only to stop and be greeted by this.

He looked up and down the narrow road in which he was parked. Battered shop fronts were closed because of the weather, storm shutters down. Nobody ventured outside during the stormy season unless it was an emergency. Or unless you were a Federal Agent, too dumb to accept a desk job.

Tobias turned up the collar of his trench coat and stepped down, leaning into the wind that howled down the street.

Life in the outer colonies was hard. They lived in rough conditions, often with a low technology base and lack of essential supplies.

Paraxis was one of the wealthier frontier planets, made so by the rich seams of trace metals that ran below its rocky surface but still, it was not Earth. Agent Smith missed his creature comforts.

I'll give this **** up Tobias thought to himself.

Someday soon. He allowed himself a little smile. He loved it really. Almost as much as he loved moaning about it.

A short man in a button down storm coat approached Tobias, a close fitting fur lined hat tied to his head, threatening to be blown away any moment.

The man was Smith's local liaison, a detective Barclay if he remembered correctly from the correspondence.

He looked less than happy to see Smith.

"Special Agent Smith." The older man shouted, the wind snatching away his voice.

Barclay hesitated, before taking the proffered hand and shaking it once.

"You took your time." He was not pleased, that much was obvious by his tone. "Let's get inside."

Tobias gestured with his hand to say lead the way and followed on.

Behind the uniformed officers and the sign posts, the neon lit strips that said POLICE LINE: DO NOT CROSS was a fairly innocuous looking factory complex.

Smith and Barclay stepped inside, their footfalls echoing loudly in the vast, silent space.
Barclay stopped for a moment as Tobias swept an unruly mop of dark hair from his face and hit the lights, bathing the shop floor in a cold, white luminescence.

The smell hit him right away.

It was the scene of a massacre.

Bodies of workers and scientists lay everywhere, strewn about their workplace, looking like they'd been savaged by some wild animal.

The MO is the same thought Tobias as he covered his nose against the rank odour. It had taken him a few days to reach Paraxis from several systems away and the corpses had begun to turn. He was thankful to the local PD for honouring his request not to touch the crime scene until he had arrived, but it didn't make it any easier on the nostrils.

"What's this all about?" Barclay said, in between painful dry heaves. He was used to seeing bodies, there were no shortage of murders on frontier worlds but the smell of decay was one you never got used to in a lifetime of police work.

Smith walked deeper into the factory, peering into dozens of defunct birthing tubes that were lined up in neat rows as he did so.

Each one could house an adult human, but none would ever again, the facilities turned over to the production of luxury enhanced organs for the rich and famous since the war.

"Seventeen cloning facilities, like this one." He replied, taking in the details of the gruesome way in which the workers had died. Several were piled up against a fire exit at the far end, and he could imagine them fumbling to break the emergency seal as death bore down on them.

"Ten different system throughout the spiral arm. All hit like this one, all trashed, the workforce butchered just like this."

Barclay snorted "Looks like Cartel activity. It's been on the rise around this area the last few years. It matches their methods, hit hard to intimidate the local populace, stalling any follow up investigation, make off with the goods. Cloning labs are always ripe targets since they stopped using them to make soldiers. Everyone wants new organs or limbs these days."

Tobias turned, tapping the Perspex viewport of a birthing tube. It contained a slowly decomposing human arm, since whoever trashed the place had saw fit to switch off all the machinery.

"Nothing is ever stolen." Tobias chewed his lip before he finished his line of thought. "And we think it's one man."

Barclay stopped. His jaw didn't actually fall open, but it was damn close.

"Forensic have measured the wounds on all the victims. Each is consistent, they all match the same bladed weapon. Whoever is doing this he's doing it alone."

Barclay still stood there, staring at the horrific scene in disbelief.

Tobias turned and moved further into the building, shouting over his shoulder.

"Why don't you check the security feed, who knows we might get lucky."

Barclay blinked, screwed his face up and scratched his head before looking around for a sign to guide him towards the security office.

"Yep. I'm on it."

Some time passed.

Tobias had taken some DNA samples, taken some prints and was about to wrap his end up when he happened across a birthing tube. It wasn't unusual in anyway, except for the fact that it was operating, several status lights blinking away on the control panel.

Tobias moved over and tapped the display, bringing up a report of the tube's contents. It was a man. An entire human male.

It didn't make any sense, nobody had cloned a full person in years, at least not at a facility like this.

Why would anybody do that and leave it? It would be a complete waste of time.

Unless...

"I've got something weird." Barclay leaned from the door of the security office.

"I've scanned all the footage from every camera on site, covering all the exits. I have your perp entering, bold as brass. Big guy, looks like he has claws instead of hands." He scratched his head, a habit that he no doubt did when unsure of what to do.

"Only uh, there's no footage of anybody leaving."

The lights went out before the sentence finished leaving his mouth.

Tobias heard a parting of air, followed by a thud in Barclay's direction.

The veteran agent called out. Nothing.

Then footsteps, Behind him.

Tobias reached across, palm finding the grip of his Colt executor where it sat in a shoulder holster beneath his coat and he turned.

A hand clamped on his wrist, not hard enough to hurt, but firm so that Tobias' hand was stuck there, his pistol remaining holstered. Another hand clamped around his shoulder, stopping him from stepping back to escape the grasp. He could feel immense strength in the grip, like it could crush him in an instant if the owner chose to.

A man's face leaned into his, shrouded by shadow, close enough so that Agent Smith could smell his breath. It was surprisingly clean, like he'd just brushed his teeth.

What did you expect, rotting flesh breath?

"They are getting louder." Said a voice, not quite a whisper but with barely enough volume to be heard.

"And my search is not bearing any fruit."

Tobias wanted to scream out, wanted to say something. The excitement of having found his mark, coupled with the frustration of being powerless to do anything about it.

"Regrettably, I feel the need to change tactics."

The danger was there, very real and right in front of him.

Tobias had to act. He thrust his head forward, butting his mark solidly in the nose, hearing it break with a satisfying crack. The grip on his wrist loosened, and the agent drew the executor smoothly, blinking from the impact of the headbutt, trigger finger taking up first pressure.

There was nobody there.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, just to be a bit prissy about it -- mostly it's good to make it as tight as you can before posting it up. I don't know if any of the grammatical errors are because you don't know the rules, or you haven't edited, which makes it very hard to crit. I'll redpen what I notice, anyway. Someone will come along with hob nailed boots and suggest you sort out your formatting and pop an extra line space between paragraphs, I suspect.

I can hear them. They want to know that they're not alone.
But I can't answer. I have no voice.​

Senior Special Agent Tobias Smith stepped down from the hatch of his transport and scowled. He hated outer colonies.
He didn't hate the people. On the contrary, he admired their frontier spirit and work ethic. It took a hardy soul to prosper out here in the stix.sticks, I think.
What he hated was the lifestyle. Tracking perps for months, living out of a cabin on a ship barely big enough to stretch your arms in, only to stop and be greeted by this.For me, a bit info dumpy. Just tell me what he's doing.

He looked up and down the narrow road in which he was parked. Battered shop fronts were closed because of the weather, storm shutters down. Nobody ventured outside during the stormy season unless it was an emergency. Or unless you were a Federal Agent, too dumb to accept a desk job.
Tobias turned up the collar of his trench coat and stepped downhadn't he done that above, leaning into the wind that howled down the street.
Life in the outer colonies was hardWe're back to info again, and info that's already been supplied above. . They lived in rough conditions, often with a low technology base and lack of essential supplies.
Paraxis was one of the wealthier frontier planets, made so by the rich seams of trace metals that ran below its rocky surface but still, it was not Earth. Agent Smith missed his creature comforts.Okay, I'd jumping up and down and asking for the story right about now. This is all background and I would think about cutting it. All of it -- the poverty, the rotten job, the storm -- you can show us as we go. That's another way I think about info dumps sometimes -- take it down to what you can't show, and that's the only thing I need to be told. I hope that makes sense.

I'll give this **** up, Tobias thought to himself.
Someday soon. He allowed himself a little smile. He loved it really. Almost as much as he loved moaning about it.

A short man in a button- down storm coat approached Tobias, a close fitting fur lined hat tied to his head, threatening to be blown away any moment.
The man was Smith's local liaison, a detective Barclay if he remembered correctly from the correspondence.Why a new paragraph
He looked less than happy to see Smith.
"Special Agent Smith." The older man shoutedwhich is the older man? Is there someone else here. I'm hopelessly confused, sorry. , the wind snatching away his voice."Special Agent Smith," the older man
Barc hesitated, before taking the proffered hand and shaking it once.
"You took your time." He was not pleased, that much was obvious by his tone. "Let's get inside."
Tobias gestured with his hand to say lead the way and followed on.

Behind the uniformed officers and the sign posts, the neon lit strips that said POLICE LINE: DO NOT CROSS was a fairly innocuous looking factory complexsorry, i don't know what innocuous looking is in this story. It's a sci fi story, right? So I need something to give me a visual of your world. Not a lot, but a little bit. .
Smith and Barclay stepped inside, their footfalls echoing loudly in the vast, silent space.
Barclay stopped for a moment as TobiasI'd call him either Tobias or Smith, and I'd use whichever one he'd refer to himself as, so probably Tobias? swept an unruly mop of dark hair from his face and hit the lights, bathing the shop floor in a cold, white luminescence.
The smell hit him right away.
It was the scene of a massacre.So the small hit him, but it's the scene that you describe. I think a line about how it smelt, then move onto the scene, maybe?
Bodies of workers and scientists lay everywhere, strewn about their workplace, looking like they'd been savaged by some wild animal.
The MO is the same, thought Tobias, as he covered his nose against the rank odour. It had taken him a few days to reach Paraxis from several systems away and the corpses had begun to turn. He was thankful to the local PD for honouring his request not to touch the crime scene until he had arrived, but it didn't make it any easier on the nostrils.

"What's this all about?" Barclay said, in between painful dry heaves. He was used to seeing bodies, there were no shortage of murders on frontier worlds but the smell of decay was one you never got used to in a lifetime of police work.
Smith walked deeper into the factory, peering into dozens of defunct birthing tubes that were lined up in neat rows as he did so.
Each one could house an adult human, but none would ever again, the facilities turned over to the production of luxury enhanced organs for the rich and famous since the war.
"Seventeen cloning facilities, like this one." He replied ," he replied -- if you have a look at the Toolbox thread, there's stuff in there about dialogue punctuation, a couple of pages before the last page, taking in the details of the gruesome way in which the workers had died. Several were piled up against a fire exit at the far end, and he could imagine them fumbling to break the emergency seal as death bore down on them.

"Ten different systems throughout the spiral arm. All hit like this one, all trashed, the workforce butchered just like this."
Barclay snorted. "Looks like Cartel activity. It's been on the rise around this area the last few years. It matches their methods, hit hard to intimidate the local populace, stalling any follow up investigation, make off with the goods. Cloning labs are always ripe targets since they stopped using them to make soldiers. Everyone wants new organs or limbs these days."
Tobias turned, tapping the Perspex viewport of a birthing tube. It contained a slowly decomposing human arm, since whoever trashed the place had saw fit to switch off all the machinery.

"Nothing is ever stolen." Tobias chewed his lip before he finished his line of thought. "And we think it's one man."
Barclay stopped. His jaw didn't actually fall open, but it was damn close.
"Forensic have measured the wounds on all the victims. Each is consistent, they all match the same bladed weapon. Whoever is doing this he's doing it alone."
Barclay still stood there, staring at the horrific scene in disbelief.
Tobias turned and moved further into the building, shouting over his shoulder.
"Why don't you check the security feed,? who knows we might get lucky."
Barclay blinked, screwed his face up and scratched his head before looking around for a sign to guide him towards the security office.
"Yep. I'm on it."

Some time passed.Why not just take a scene break. I think this makes it look a little like the author doesn't know what happened in this time. Either that or Later, after Tobias had...
Tobias had taken some DNA samples, takenrepeat of taken some prints and was about to wrap his end upmaybe a different phrasing? or his end of the case up? when he happened across a birthing tube. It wasn't unusual in anyway, except for the fact that it was operating, several status lights blinking away on the control panelso it was unusual?.
Tobias moved over and tapped the display, bringing up a report of the tube's contents. It was a man. An entire human male.
It didn't make any sense, nobody had cloned a full person in years, at least not at a facility like this.
Why would anybody do that and leave it? It would be a complete waste of time.
Unless...

"I've got something weird." Barclay leaned from the door of the security office.I'd carry the dialogue on rather than take a new paragraph.
"I've scanned all the footage from every camera on site, covering all the exits. I have your perp entering, bold as brass. Big guy, looks like he has claws instead of hands." He scratched his head, a habit that he no doubt did when unsure of what to do.
"Only uh, there's no footage of anybody leaving."
The lights went out before the sentence finished leaving his mouth.
Tobias heard a parting of air, followed by a thud in Barclay's direction.
The veteran agent called out. Nothing.
Then footsteps, Behind him.
Tobias reached across, palm finding the grip of his Colt executor where it sat in a shoulder holster beneath his coat and he turned.

A hand clamped on his wrist, not hard enough to hurt, but firm so that Tobias' hand was stuck there, his pistol remaining holstered. Another hand clamped around his shoulder, stopping him from stepping back to escape the grasp. He could feel immense strength in the grip, like it could crush him in an instant if the owner chose to.
A man's face leaned into his, shrouded by shadow, close enough so that Agent Smith could smell his breath. It was surprisingly clean, like he'd just brushed his teeth.
What did you expect, rotting flesh breath?
"They are getting louder." Said a voice, not quite a whisper but with barely enough volume to be heard.
"And my search is not bearing any fruit."
Tobias wanted to scream out, wanted to say something. The excitement of having found his mark, coupled with the frustration of being powerless to do anything about it.
"Regrettably, I feel the need to change tactics."
The danger was there, very real and right in front of himwe know this..
Tobias had to act. He thrust his head forward, butting his mark solidly in the nose, hearing it break with a satisfying crack. The grip on his wrist loosened, and the agent drew the executor smoothly, blinking from the impact of the headbutt, trigger finger taking up first pressure.
There was nobody there.[/QUOTE]

Okay, it's obviously first draft, and hard to crit. I think it has potential, you have a nice mystery going on there, but there is too much info in it that we don't, really, need. I'd like to be closer to your main character. But the story itself intrigues.

It's a prologue, this character will not be in the story again, the info dump is deliberate.
That is, the info dump regarding him. The rest will probably get changed.

Thanks for the rest of the points though, ill give it some thought.

As springs has said -- and as is made clear in the rules and guidelines... -- it's necessary to put a clear line's space between paragraphs, as the software eats the standard indent formatting, otherwise you end up with a wall of text affair. I've done it for you here, but please remember to go for advanced/preview and then make the necessary corrections next time.

I was expecting to have to rip into another ego here, but I found the story reasonably polished and pleasantly engaging. A few rough edges IMO but otherwise kept my attention and interest and actually enjoyed it.

My big question would be: what are you doing differently? What is going to make this story stand out?

Also, if we don't see this character again a reader may feel a little cheated. You've taken time to set up a character and situation and asked a reader to invest in this.

Aside from that, looks like you have a promising start. I just hope you can keep it up. :)

It's a prologue, this character will not be in the story again, the info dump is deliberate.
That is, the info dump regarding him. The rest will probably get changed.

Thanks for the rest of the points though, ill give it some thought.

Just a couple of thoughts on this.

What relevance is it that it's a prologue. Does this mean it's okay not to be close to a character in the prologue? It's still the first thing a reader or agent will see and that you'll sell your story on, and it needs to reflect the rest of the book (which it might do, I don't know. :))

Also, be aware that agents, as a whole, don't like prologues. I'm not saying not to have one -- I still have one in one of my books -- I'm just sounding a note of caution. But if you do have one, it needs to be top notch.

Thanks for the help and feedback here guys. Sorry about the spacing thing.

I posted the prologue here because it is literally the only part of my novel fit for mainstream consumption. I am a soldier and am writing about a soldier and we swear. A lot.
We also kill things for a living and my story becomes incredibly violent as time goes on.

Tobias Smith is very important as the story goes on, mainly because his "mark" kills him and assumes his identity (offscreen) in order to obtain a control mechanism for a not entirely generic doomsday weapon. He ropes in my protagonist (the contractor in the title) to help him fetch it.

The reader doesn't know about the character swap until about halfway through the novel, though the throw away line about flicking his unruly hair from his face is a give away.
The imposter is bald.

As far as agents are concerned, I am self publishing this for fun to see if I can garner any interest for future serious projects, so I'm not entirely bothered about it.

Last edited:
It's not a detective story, it's a war story that starts with a detective.
Sorry to disappoint you.

I won't crit because a couple of things you've said bother me.

You say you're self-publishing so 'are not entirely bothered about it.' So why should we be bothered critiquing it? And so what if you're self-publishing, shouldn't it still be the best you can make it?

Also, you said you're not bothered about grammar. You need to learn to use grammar correctly. Sorry, but you do. No good just relying on a proofreader to do it for you!

I'm not bothered about the prologue "issue" with agents because I'm not submitting to an agent. I'm not bothered about initial grammar problems because I am paying a professional to proof read it for me before I publish.

I have no formal education when it comes to writing, my grammar won't be good. I want feedback on overall content so I can improve before it goes to my proof reader, which I have been receiving so far.

I'm a bit dyslexic so some things don't stick, luckily my proof reader is a close friend and understands this. Sorry if I've offended you.

You didn't offend me, I just don't understand why you don't want it to be the best it can be. And I can't stand the 'no education' excuse. I've had no formal education when it comes to writing either, I don't think many of us have, really. It's not difficult to learn. Just trying to help.

Well you're wrong there on one point. Being dyslexic means it is actually difficult to learn some things as my brain is wired differently, but either way I am trying my best, it might just take a while lol.

@Darkchild

A none too bad approach, my friend! I'd been keeping an eye out for this since talking to you on the other thread.

Without reiterating what others have already said (and they're a wealth of knowledge!) the only other thing I can pick up on is the detailing.

E.g. as Springs has already pointed out in one of his comments, the smell with the slaughter scene. Heck, you're a soldier like me, you KNOW what death smells like. Your everyday reader doesn't. Give it to 'em, raw and realistic. From what I understand your story is going to be a pull-no-punches violent sonova', so go for the throat with your descriptions.

Being military, I know from experience you're more accustomed to 'concise briefing' styles. Which is fine, it works, gets you straight to the point. But add a little flavour and depth to set the scene - don't just use WHAT is going on to add tension/suspense/surprise/etc., use your language.

The smell itself?

I'm'a freestyle...

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT (highlight to read)

Gut wrenching. Cloys in your nose, makes your head spin - and later when you think of it again, it'll make your head spin 'til your sick. It's such a strong stench that you can taste it, part fouled water, part iron. And the blood - people always think about the blood first when it comes to dead bodies. But what's worse is the stench of loosed bowels and piss. Left abandoned long enough then the rot sets it - the flies too.

So yeah *coughs* hope that helps!

Thanks mate, I'm sort of escalating the descriptions as I go. The meat of the novel is first person POV through the protagonist and he gets very descriptive.
There is a scene where he dreams about an old op where he crawls up a sewer outlet pipe in order to clear some building with phosphorus grenades, bayonet fixed.
Trust me I know how to do gruesome.

Bring that A-Game to this prologue, and you'll be on to a winner.

I'm sure writers all over the world would argue against the point I'm about to make, but:

The most important chapter in your story is the first one.

/flame-on

:p

I know I know, but my strengths lie in depiction of combat. I'm all too aware my characterisations are weak so this isn't the best piece of my work to show people, but as previously mentioned it is the only part I could realistically display without getting into trouble.

I will retool this prologue with more scene setting and less "dryness"? I'll concentrate more on the dead bodies, I sort of skimmed over this scene deliberately so the contrast between characters comes as a bit of a shock when the contractor starts stabbing people in the throat and such.

I'll concentrate more on the dead bodies

Quite possibly the scariest line to have EVER been typed on these forums.

You've grasped it buddy - you know your weaknesses, and you know your strengths. You've definitely got the 'eye' for it, just need to fine tune like you said.

I'll be interested in rereading :D

This is very good. Grammar or not, your meaning is clear enough. It's graphic, exciting, and has a good hook at the end. It could be tightened a little, mainly as has been pointed out, but if you do that you have a very interesting start to a story here.

Status
Not open for further replies.