Need advice

majid01

Hey everyone!

After reading the walking dead, I am looking for more graphic novels to sink my teeth into. Iv'e made a shopping list on amazon, and would like you guys to see if the list is worth it. I am relatively new to the genre but love series that spawns across a few books and have some sort of closure.

Here is the list:

-Ex Machina volumes 1-10
-V for vendetta
-Pride of Baghdad
-Complete Maus
-The Invisibles Omnibus
-Watchmen
-Akira 1-5 (Not sure with these...)
-Y the last man 1-5
-Lone wolf and cub Omnibus 1 and 2 (Not sure with these...)

Also, I'd like to add an omnibus edition of some sort of superhero(s). New X-men omnibus?

How about transmetropolitan? Heard good things about it...

Thanks for all your feedback! :)

Can't comment on all of those.. as I've not read some - but those I have:

V for vendetta
As per the norm for Alan Moore it's fantastic - it's dated as it's written about a future which didn't happen (the story was mainly a fear driven from 80's right wing policies) but even with that the story and ideas keep you absorbed and the artwork is equally fantastic.

Complete Maus
Have to confess that although I rate this highly it's not something I've re-read - it's on the shelf and I'm sure I will.. it could be the subject matter is too heavy going.. or the narrative doesn't lend itself to being re-read.. either way I'm struggling to recommend it above the other works on the list..

Watchmen
Buy it - read it - love it. Never lend it out. Keep it under lock and key and touch it reverently every now and again as you pass it on the bookshelf. (as you might have noticed.. can't recommend this book enough!).

Akira 1-5
I'm in the process of reading and buying these - long time fan of the film but hadn't ever got round to picking up the comics - I've only read the first 2 volumes but already the story has (as expected) much greater depth and sub-plots missing from the film - artwork is amazing and so far I'm loving the story.

Y the last man 1-5
I liked the story - good artwork although I would say that it loses it's way a little as the story progresses - some of the sub-plots are weak and there's just a nagging feeling that the concept could of gone to better places as a story.. still good enough to justify reading though.

Transmetropolitan
Not read all 10 trades as yet - I've got (and read) books 1 to 8.. and love it. From this list I'd pretty much have this as a 2nd pick after Watchmen.

Thanks for the input guys! Iv'e removed Akira from the list and added The boys. Same with Ex Machina for Transmetropolitan. Couldn't resist adding Animal Man by Grant Morrison. Looks really good!

Thanks for the input guys! Iv'e removed Akira from the list and added The boys. Same with Ex Machina for Transmetropolitan. Couldn't resist adding Animal Man by Grant Morrison. Looks really good!

Ex Machina is on my list of things I have to read.. :)

Whilst I say Akira is well worth at look at some point I can't fault your taste for going for The Boys.. it's Garth Ennis at his best! :D

Good list. I've just finished the first trade of Y the Last Man and have the rest to read. Are you reading Saga?

I'd add Preacher to that list, seminal series.

Read everything on your list and everything and everything that's been recommended and also these . . .

Sandman - Neil Gaiman/Sam Keith
Locke and Key - Joe Hill/Gabriel Rodriguez
The Unwritten - Mike Carey/Peter Gross

"The Invisibles Omnibus"

One of the coolest comics I ever read-loved it! ;)

No Preacher?

It's crude and unpleasant in places, but it's a great, great story. From just before Garth Ennis descended into being a parody of himself.

We3 is a wonderfully poignant little story by Grant Morrison, about a dog, cat and rabbit, which are genetically experimented on and augmented to be used as military weapons. They escape the military facility they were being kept at, and try to get "home", a concept they barely understand, much less know where it might be. Think The Incredible Journey crossed with Universal Soldier, but in a good way.

And if you venture into the worlds of the Big Two, DC and Marvel, my first recommendation would be DC: The New Frontier, by Darwyn Cooke. Quite simply, it's incredible. Story, art, concept. All of it is just about the best comics can be, in my opinion.

The Boys are one of the best series around, a definite must have
after reading it, you will never see superheroes the same way, ever.
What a bunch of wankers!

Lucifer (a spin off The Sandman by Neil Gayman) is a master piece.
The devil has never been so cool, and he doesn't even care!
Thoroughly reccomended!!!!

Saga, by Brian K. Vaughan very promising series, worth checking out.
Really like it.

Prophet by Brandon Graham,amazing imagination, unusual and very well written scifi. 10k years in the future the Earth Empire re-awakens.
Very very good

The Chronicles Of Wormwood, A yuppie Antichrist and his best pal, African-American hippie Jesus, a mad lunatic God, a scheming Satan and a sex-addict-drug-taking-STD-ridden ozzie Pope, ah....and a talking rabbit!
What's not to like?

Rex Mundi, by Juan Ferreyra, very good storyline. Inquisition, Illuminati and more crazy stuff

Fables, long ongoing series, very well written and brilliant characters
With a few spin offs

Pax Romana, Mercenaries with an agenda from the Catholic church travel back in time to the late Roman Empire, change the course of history....brilliant!
Anything by Jonathan Hickman is pretty good

The Walking Dead, The Oscar winner of graphic novels

Bedlam by Nick Spencer
Motherfuckingcrazy serial killer turned savior of the city. Must have!

Many others that have been mentioned in other posts, and it's also up to you to explore and to take risks. You might discover a hidden gem!