The Cuckoo's Calling

CrumpleHornedSnorkak

Beware of the Nargles
I have a son. He needs a hair cut, but its too lov
I was surprised not to find a thread on this already! But, then again, I have come to the conclusion that the majority of the regulars on here aren't Rowling's biggest fans! :p

So what does everyone think? I'm, personally, not all that surprised because she had mentioned doing something like that a few times. And, to be honest, I don't blame her. I'm extremely proud that the novel got good reviews on it's own merit. I'm not really big on the Crime genre, so I would never have picked it up, but I will most definitely read it now. I can't help it, I'm a super fan... :p

The Independents Article

Not a fan but I did quite enjoy the first four Potter books. I'm curious about her first crime novel, may be will give a try some day.

I remember looking at it in waterstones awhile ago, My mums kinda book. Didn't choose it in the end, now looking back... The hardbaks are selling for a bucket load on ebay now. Wish I had bought it.

The protagonist seems interesting and I like her writing so I'll be having a look in the future.

When we talk about Rowling, the sequels are however set to be skewed by her fame. And reason why she spoke about "pure pleasure to get feedback under a different name".. But all in all, the book has mixed responses from the readers world wide. My personal opinion too, is not so good about this crime novel as I'm a huge Happy Potter fan. The goblet of Fire was much well written. I am confused if it won Hugo or Nebula Award for the same. Can anybody help ??

I really enjoyed this book - I do like the PI type novel, and I became engaged with her characters very quickly. It would be nice to see a series of books with the same characters. And it shows authors can write successfully in different genres!! (She was rejected by a number of publishers under her pseudonym, and was pretty damn annoyed that her cover was blown so quickly. I think.)

I actually bought it before it was revealed who wrote it but I have yet to read it, it is in my to read pile. Like Boneman I was engaged really quickly with the characters whilst I was sat in the bookstore (which is why I bought the hardcover which is unusual for me).

But I've got Call the Midwife and Mary Berry's autobiography first.

I loved all the Harry Potter books and thought Rowling's The Casual Vacancy would also be good but I was disappointed. Maybe because of this disappointment I don't think I will read The Cuckoo's Calling.

I actually bought it before it was revealed who wrote it but I have yet to read it, it is in my to read pile. Like Boneman I was engaged really quickly with the characters whilst I was sat in the bookstore (which is why I bought the hardcover which is unusual for me).

But I've got Call the Midwife and Mary Berry's autobiography first.

Hold onto the book! It may well be worth money in the long-term as one of the first print run. :)

I loved all the Harry Potter books and thought Rowling's The Casual Vacancy would also be good but I was disappointed. Maybe because of this disappointment I don't think I will read The Cuckoo's Calling.

Neither the Casual Vacancy or Cuckoo's Calling are Harry Potter. I really enjoyed the Casual Vacancy after I got into it, probably more than I loved Harry Potter so i'm really looking forward to this. But I'm trying to be more disciplined in my reading this year and made a note.

Neither the Casual Vacancy or Cuckoo's Calling are Harry Potter. I really enjoyed the Casual Vacancy after I got into it, probably more than I loved Harry Potter so i'm really looking forward to this. But I'm trying to be more disciplined in my reading this year and made a note.

You are right there. I wasn't expecting The Casual Vacancy to be another Harry Potter, but I thought I might the like the book if not love it. There are many people who like the book. I think what actually bothered me was the genre because usually I read light books. The Casual Vacancy seemed rather grim and depressing to me. In the end I guess it all depends on one's taste.

By the way, enjoy The Cuckoo's Calling and afterwards do share your experience here.:)

I read them "Cuckoo" then "Vacancy". In a way, I'm sorry I did. IMO the "Cuckoo" is a better book, but maybe because I'm more of a fan of the detective genre than general fiction. At least one had the feel of "I'm allowed to swear so (darned) well will do".

That's the trouble think I might like enough to want to read it abusively. When I look at my bookshelf I can tell which are my favourite books by the state of them. I only picked it up originally because it had Cuckoo in the title and I'd just named my mystery/fantasy The Cuckoo in Black's Nest. I'm a bit annoyed with her because I think it needs to change now and the only alternative I have is Old Cobb which I'm not sure about. It was kind of like the book John Barrowman wrote with his sister I only picked it up because it had a blue-eyed bird of prey on the front and my YA Fantasy had a blue-eyed bird of prey in it.