May's Manic Meanderings Into Marvellously Mystical Manuscripts

GOLLUM

Hi folks.

Please let us know what you are reading in this merriest of months...:)

Michael Moorcock, Elric: The Stealer of Souls, though I'm getting a bit fatigued by it. :)

Rereading A Game of Thrones to get a feel for dialogue and description a bit better (Moorcock, too).

Finished Alchemist of Souls last night.

As it's been recommended to me, I'm now going to start The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Reading has quite definitely slowed down recently, but I managed to finish Chris Wooding's The Iron Jackal. A very good book by an author that gets quite noticeably better with every release.

Next up I plan to finally get around to Abercrombie's Red Country.

Still ploughing through Forge of Darkness by Erikson, am finding this a real chore. Im on the last 5% but its really, well boring... and I usually love Erikson!

I'll be glad when its over, if it wasn't for the fact its Erikson I'd have given it up by now. Very disappointed :(

Rereading Jeff Noon's Vurt, waiting for Lauren Beukes' The Shining Girls, poring over short stories from Pat Murphy and Nina Allen.

Jose Saramago's The Double (O Homen Duplicado).

Sharon Olds' poetry in The Stag's Leap.

Currently tackling Great North Road by Peter F Hamilton, which I am finding intriguing and engrossing (as I expected from Hamilton, loved the other books of his that I've read)

And when I'm in the mood for something I don't have to concentrate on so much, I'm rereading Freedom's Landing by Anne McCaffrey, one of my favourite books =)

Though since I -finally- got a computer back, I find I'm doing less reading of books and more reading of forums :p damn you

Just finishing off the Bartimeus Trilogy by Jonathon Stroud. Bought it for my son. Dont read much fantasy as a rule, but this is quite clever grown-up stuff for children's fiction. Some nice moral complexity.

Marvelously mystical. I don't know about yours but my tiscal has never been marvellous. ;)

On topic: I've been reading Timothy Zahn's Time Bomb for about a month now and, at this rate, I'll be through in about another month. Coming not-so-soon to a short story thread near you.

And I've got The Hunger Games in the mail. I'll see how that goes, but I've seen the film twice. Maybe I'll learn something about the craft, which is why I read any more it seems.

Just finished THE PRISONER OF HEAVEN by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I enjoyed it very much, more than The Shadow of The Wind. I do like magical realism and really want to have a go at combining the genre with the Glens of Antrim, and this has made me very excited to have a go! Reccommended.

Just finished THE PRISONER OF HEAVEN by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I enjoyed it very much, more than The Shadow of The Wind. I do like magical realism and really want to have a go at combining the genre with the Glens of Antrim, and this has made me very excited to have a go! Reccommended.
Serious? Wow It must be good if it's better than Shadow. I have all of Zafon's currently translated work but haven't yet got to The Prisoner of Heaven.

If you are intersted in Magic Realism I can recommend further works to you. I have a stroing interest in World Literature of which my single greatest interest is the Latin American canon (incl. mainland Spain and Portrugal) of which magic realism is prominent. Magic realism is of course not exclusive to Latin America, it's just that it is so often associated with the 'latin boom' of the 1960s and 70s..albeit it was there also before then.

Cheers.

I'm wading my way through A Clash of Kings (GRRM). I'm enjoying it and eventually I may catch up with the series as far as its got. Back to SF after this I think though.

I'm wading my way through A Clash of Kings (GRRM). I'm enjoying it and eventually I may catch up with the series as far as its got. Back to SF after this I think though.

That one is pretty good. A Storm of Swords is my favorite of the series. A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons seems too much leading up to something that never quite arrives.

Finished Kevin Hearne's Tricked last night. After a string of long books it's nice to read a book over two days and be done with it. Typical Atticus O'Sullivan fun with this one. I had read a few reviews that were a bit negative on this book, but I thought it was as much fun as all the others in the series, and possibly up toward the top.

Back to Malazan Book of the Fallen. I started reading Toll the Hounds last night. Reaper's Gale rated highly on the MKAS (Malazan Kick Ass Scale). Hopefully this will live up to expectations. Good to be back with some old pals like Kruppe, and Mallet, and Darujhistan generally.

Finished Kevin Hearne's Tricked last night. After a string of long books it's nice to read a book over two days and be done with it. Typical Atticus O'Sullivan fun with this one. I had read a few reviews that were a bit negative on this book, but I thought it was as much fun as all the others in the series, and possibly up toward the top.

Read Tricked a while ago. Overall, I really like that series. A couple weeks ago, I finished Trapped which didn't disappoint. Now to wait until June for the next one...I really hate that part.

Peter Levi's The Light Garden of the Angel King: Travels in Afghanistan (pre-Communist invasion, pre-Taliban)

Novalis's Henry von Ofterdingen -- German Romanticism

Shakespeare's 1 Henry VI -- one of nine plays I need to read & then will have read all the plays attributed to the Bard in my Pelican Complete WS. This one is the one with Joan of Arc as a witch, abandoned to the justice of her enemies by her devils when she's served their purposes.

Pieces in Charles Portis's miscellany Escape Velocity

I expect to read at least a couple of science fiction stories from Groff Conklin anthologies this month.

Serious? Wow It must be good if it's better than Shadow. I have all of Zafon's currently translated work but haven't yet got to The Prisoner of Heaven.

If you are intersted in Magic Realism I can recommend further works to you. I have a stroing interest in World Literature of which my single greatest interest is the Latin American canon (incl. mainland Spain and Portrugal) of which magic realism is prominent. Magic realism is of course not exclusive to Latin America, it's just that it is so often associated with the 'latin boom' of the 1960s and 70s..albeit it was there also before then.

Cheers.

I do really like it. I loved Pan's Labyrinth - the film - and have enjoyed Zafon. The Fermin character was well developed in this one. I would love to see more in the genre, I'd also love to see it merged with other areas of the world where magic is just sort of accepted. Recommend away, please! :)