Female Vampire MCs

Chel

Quick question:

Can anyone think of a vampire novel with a female vampire as main character? Seems to me most vampire MCs are male... which is all good and sexy, but done to death.

I'm trying to decide which gender to make the MC in my side project. :)

Does Anne Rice's Queen of the Damned count? I know she isn't the main character per se, but that's all that springs to mind. Oh, and the final Twilight of course.

Oh, and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Bloodrayne, Ultraviolet, Rise, Underworld, Vampirella...they really have been, ahem, done to death.

Yeah CTG, but my go-to sources (husband + google, in that order) didn't give me much.

Thanks Jake, I should have thought about LEG, Bloodrayne and Underworld at least, but my movie-memory is really bad. Then again, Mina Harker didn't have that huge a role in LEG, Bloodrayne wasn't all that good, and Underworld.... well, got me there. :) All those movies go on the "to watch again soon"-list.

Thing is sweetie and I'll write this in Finnish so you'll understand and because I have a chance to write it in Finnish:

Sun tarinasi muodostuu ainoastaan sun omista hahmoista eikä kenenkään muiden teoksista. Eikä sun hahmosi ole koskaan loppuunkaluttuja, vaan ne on aina tuoreita, vaikka maailmasta löytyisi miljardi samanlaista. Joten jos sun muusasi haluaa kirjoittaa yön outoja kulkijoita, niin kuuntele häntä, eläkä yritä luoda jotakin mitä sä et ole valmis kirjoittamaan.

There are quite a few UF novels out there that do, but most of them are pretty bad. Try J.R. Ward's Black Blood Brotherhood. It's paranormal romance but the female lead becomes a vampire.

Also try the Night Huntress series by Jeanine Frost. The protagonist is a half-vampire half-human. Not quite what you were after, but close.

Vampire Academy is another half-vampire UF series that has a secondary protagonist who is a vampire. It's written by Richelle Mead.

Chicagoland Vampires, by Chloe Niell. Protagonist is turned into a vampire to save her life.

I always think Female Vampire MC's are more interesting. Vampires and vampire stories are often seen as a metaphor for sex (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VampiresAreSexGods) and the biting is therefore a metaphor for penetration. Cinematography doesn't linger on a male vampire attacking a male victim (Interview With A Vampire is a great exception).

But a female vampire is a kind of role reversal, the hunted (woman pursued sexually) becomes the hunter (woman who seduces for food). It neatly avoids the trap that a sexually aggressive female character is seen in derogatory terms (a slut).

Or perhaps I think to much. I'll now go and browse LOLCats for a while.

Vampires and vampire stories are often seen as a metaphor for sex

And well before Bram Stokers Dracula, they were all about plague and disease really - which maybe shows something about Victorian attitudes to sex...*

But a female vampire is a kind of role reversal, the hunted (woman pursued sexually) becomes the hunter (woman who seduces for food). It neatly avoids the trap that a sexually aggressive female character is seen in derogatory terms (a slut).

And also Kate Beckinsale looks great in skin tight black leather, kicking arse. :p

=====================

Or perhaps I think to much. I'll now go and browse LOLCats for a while.

Agreed, I think I should do the same :)

ctg, you're so right. Thank you. :)

I still like female vampires and will look up some of the suggestions. Thank you all!

Can anyone think of a vampire novel with a female vampire as main character? Seems to me most vampire MCs are male... which is all good and sexy, but done to death.

Underworld immediately springs to me, but I guess it's not exactly what you're looking for.

Also Google "Lesbian Vampire" on TVtropes. It has a respectable list on female (lesbian) vampires in literature and other genres.

Back