• I'm a female and write predominantly science fiction

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I'm a female and write predominantly fantasy

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • I'm a female and write a fairly equal mix of science fiction and fantasy

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
I'm a male and write a fairly equal mix of science fiction and fantasy

TBH though my biggest project is a far future post-apocalyptic (therefore sci-fi) fantasy (but with guns).

I linked to this on twitter a couple of days ago. i'm amazed at the difference between men writing sci fi -- 17/22 -- so, what, over three quarters and the females -- 2/8 -- quarter. I wonder what it is that appears to make sci fi either less popular/accessible to write, because I believe, in readership terms, the gulf is nowhere near as wide. (I am sure I have read studies where female sci fi readers are quite high.)

On the other hand, I'm heartened -- maybe I have something fresh to bring to the genre!

Well since my true choice wasn't an option...

Although we're focused on sff here, I'd like to have seen another option: general fiction/other genres. My novels are mainly fantasy but my short stories are mainly general fiction.

Its a really small sample size in statistical terms, but I must say I am surprised that with the "write equal amounts of sf and fantasy" category, there should be such a difference between male and female.

Back