Should we be worried by one Star Wars film a year?

Harpo

Getting away with it
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/star-wars/25288/should-we-be-worried-by-one-star-wars-film-a-year

"Yesterday, news broke that Disney was planning to get some relatively swift returns on its $4bn investment in Lucasfilm and the Star Wars franchise. It had been little secret that Star Wars: Episode VII was on its way, although the confirmation that we should expect it in the summer of 2015 was new. It's also been little secret that Disney was not just interested in a fresh trilogy of films - Episodes VII, VIII and IX - but that it was also thinking about a series of spin-off movies too.
Disney chief Alan Horn has revealed that the plan is to release the new trilogy in 2015, 2017 and 2019, with the alternate years - 2016, 2018 and 2020 - getting a standalone movie of some sort. Unless things go radically wrong, you can safely assume that the cycle - or 'phase', as we think we're supposed to call things - will start again at that point.
Some very obvious accusations have been levelled, with a degree of justification, at Disney in the light of the news. Surely, runs the argument, this is Disney milking Star Wars? Furthermore, isn't there a quality control issue here? How can Disney make a film a year, and keep the standards high?
Well, notwithstanding the fact that the standard hasn't been particularly high with regards Star Wars films for many decades, I can't help but wonder if Disney's plan here is really all that sinister.
Granted, a film a year doesn't inspire confidence. Earlier this week, in fact, I penned a piece questioning the shortening gaps between movie sequels. But might Star Wars be different, not least because these won't really be sequels per se? Because if we've learned one thing from Disney's stewardship of the Marvel universe, it's that there's room for a lot of films, each with their own identity.
Appreciating that superhero saturation point is surely getting closer, Marvel Studios now brings us two films a year. Furthermore, it's using those films we now hear to explore differing genres a little more. There's an acceptance that you need a bit more than an origin story and a CG villain to beat (yep, that's The Amazing Spider-Man I'm glaring at there), and the idea that elements of political thriller are being woven into Captain America: The Winter Soldier, for example, are encouraging. Furthermore, who knows just what shape Guardians Of The Galaxy will come out in. It's a different story, within a broader universe, and there appears to be room for it.
Where Marvel has particularly triumphed is in taking gambles on filmmakers, and then backing them. If you were launching a superhero movie in the 90s, then chances are that Kenneth Branagh, Alan Taylor, Shane Black and the Russo brothers wouldn't have been on your list of possibles. Especially so James Gunn. Yet these are the people Marvel is backing, as it seeks distinctive voices to work with its material.
So why can't Star Wars be the same? The main trilogy is, I'd presume, going to be the focus of JJ Abrams and writer Michael Arndt for some time to come now. But the Star Wars universe, as has been demonstrated by the breadth of books, games, comics and television adventures, is vast. Lots of different stories, and lots of different types of stories, have been told within it. And there's no reason that can't translate to the big screen, digging into this collection of existing storytelling where necessary.
Because here's the thing: these annual Star Wars movies aren't going to be a succession of sequels. A spin-off movie can be handed over to a filmmaker independent of the main trilogy, and given room of its own. If Disney is being particularly bold, which I suspect it isn't, might it even try one or two lower budget, smaller dramas, just set against this rich, fictional backdrop?
At the very least, the new Lucasfilm, headed up by Kathleen Kennedy, has made savvy appointments thus far. Lawrence Kasdan, Simon Kinberg and Michael Arndt are all strong writers. JJ Abrams is a choice of director that most seem to be happy with. And as long as it gives itself enough room in advance to nurture and develop projects within the Star Wars universe, the fact alone that we're set to get a film a year set within it isn't necessarily a cause for massive alarm.
Granted, there's an element of devil's advocate about all of that, and there's still the possibility that this, while not killing the golden goose, might be enough to give it a particularly bad limp. Disney has to marry up satiating shareholders that want to see returns on that $4bn sooner rather than later, and resurrecting and maintaining a cinematic franchise that could, if managed properly, secure a bloody good Christmas party on the Disney lot for a long time to come.
So I'd say this: don't write this annual Star Wars movie idea off yet. Instead, let's hope that Disney follows its Marvel ideology to an extent here, and actively seeks out interesting people to tell interesting stories. You never know, it might just work..."

Why should we be worried? They're movies. Things to worry about are things like climate change, overpopulation, dwindling resources and the NRA's insistance that it's every American's right to have a thermo-nuclear rocket launcher for their personal protection. Worrying about a movie franchise seems a bit of a waste of effort.

I guess trying to maintain a good enough standard for standalone movies is going to be hard, whereas they seem to have learned from LOTR and made three films back to back and released them year after year. But that was one story, made into three flilms. The Batman films were good, and I'm trying to think if it would bother me if they came out year after year. If they were good enough, I'd not blink, just lap it up, but if they were rubbish I'd stop going, probably. The balance of quality vs quantity, driven headlong by the need for profits...

If you rush something you end up with 'Eragon - the movie'...

I've been a Star Wars fan since 1977 and i'm not too worried. I think that Pixar and Marvel have released some great movies since Disney took over so i think that Star Wars is in good hands.

Personally, i think that it's great that Star Wars is getting 6 new movies. It's a big galaxy, so there should be plenty of stories to tell. I would like to see Star Wars aimed at differing age groups, though. I'd also like to see them move away from the Skywalker/Solo clan.

I would be shocked if the "stand alones" aren't completely out of the Skywalker/Solo clan. I think a movie a year would be just peachy. I still remember waiting "eternities" for the next of the original 3 to come out. But then there was the disappointment of "The Empire Strikes Back" which moderated my anticipation. Further moderated by the only marginally better "Return of the Jedi."

*I know I'm a contrarian here, but I want stories with bang up, the good guys win endings. And just to cement my weirdness, I liked the Ewoks. Just to prove I'm not insane I hated JarJar Banks.*

Whew! You really had me concerned for a bit there. But you saved yourself with the last statement! ;)

Damm you Parsons I had "almost" forgotten Jar Jar Binks!

I don't know that I will be standing in line to see we Star Wars, I haven't recovered from the disappointment of the last three (or first three if you put them in order) but the other half will be there, he is a fanatical Star Wars follower.

Tangaloomababe --- You know you will be standing in line. I think the "first" three suffered from having to to end up in a certain place. Prequels almost always are less than the original story, (the Hobbit) and sometimes much less than the original story (Foundation, Dune etc.)

By the way you're welcome for reintroducing Jar Jar Binks.:p There I did it again.:p:p

However unlikely, I've always hoped that were a fresh trilogy to come about they would spend some time on the big screen in the Old Republic era of Star Wars. I can't see it happening though.

The time frame is definitely feasible though, particularly considering pre-production is no doubt well under way. Filming back to back gives them plenty time to knock out 3 films by 2019. The "in-between" releases, if they are stand-alone stories, could be done by a different production team simultaneously. So really, fears of the films being "rushed" aren't really a worry.

We'll have to wait and see what they come out with though.

I think that the prequels were lacking, relative to the original series, as there had to shoehorn into the story arc already created, and this was not a very comfortable fit really. The stories that could be told after RotJ are free from such constraints, so they could be fine. So long as they manage to retain the sense of wonder evoked by the original 70's-80's trilogy.

However, and I suppose its a big however - they wont be shot on location I'm sure, they'll be modern CGI films, and these lack all credibility compared to genuine locations. Actually filming in Tunisia really took you to Tatooine. No CGI set will ever be able to do that I think. There's something very organic about genuine locations. This is one principal reason why the original films are better imho.

i don't think we need be concerned. Disney is about making HUGE amounts of money. That is only achieved with a quality (arguably sure) product.

I'd REALLY love to see a Revan trilogy... that would be spectacular - first movie, we have Mandalore as the villain. Second movie its the fallen Revan. Finally its Malak as the Darth of our Nightmares.

Who says that the sequels will be about Skywalkers and Solos? (Okay, I guess the fact that Ford, Fisher and Hamill have already signed up might be a small clue.) But maybe the sequels will be all about Jar Jar Binks' grandsons instead?

Who says that the sequels will be about Skywalkers and Solos? (Okay, I guess the fact that Ford, Fisher and Hamill have already signed up might be a small clue.) But maybe the sequels will be all about Jar Jar Binks' grandsons instead?

*Shudders*

*cough*JOHN CARTER*cough*

John Carter was actually pretty good (Certainly it was better than Phantom Menace)... and hot conspiracy theory is that Disney intentionally killed it as part of the negotiations with LucasArts...

John Carter was actually pretty good (Certainly it was better than Phantom Menace)... and hot conspiracy theory is that Disney intentionally killed it as part of the negotiations with LucasArts...

I was hoping that series would take off myself. :mad:

I must confess that i watched and very much enjoyed John Carter. It didn't deserve to flop.

As for the new movies, bring it on. I think Disney will treat the franchise with care and respect.