David Gemmell's Troy series

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Anyone here read David Gemmell's Troy series of books?

Noticed them come up on Amazon and couldn't help be drawn in by the cover (especially Lord of the Silver Bow).

The sample seems to read fine as well.

However, am not familiar with these books - anyone who is?

Well, since I must've retread that trilogy about 10 times, so yes, me :)

I've never read any of David's other books until literally tonight where I'm just about to start Knights of Dark Renown. I just didn't want to as nothing can possibly be as great, legendary, EPIC that those 3 books are. But as I actually finished the Troy series yesterday and gagging for more of the great man's work, I'm biting the bullet and hoping his other stuff is just half as good.

I can guarantee you you won't be disappointed. Immaculate series.

I read the first one but didn't really enjoy it compared to the Rigante or Drenai series. It was too clunky for me and just didnt sit well with me.

I preferred them to his fantasy works, with the exception of Waylander. But don't use them as an example of how to write a book - he has taken a pretty complex approach :)

Didn't his wife write most of that trilogy because he died just as he started? I think he planned them, started, then she had to complete it.

EDIT: Gemmell is my hero.

It was a very interesting series and as always well written. I enjoyed it quite a bit. My favorite is the explanation of the "Trojan Horse". After reading it, I was shocked that the idea hadn't hit me before then.

Didn't his wife write most of that trilogy because he died just as he started? I think he planned them, started, then she had to complete it.

EDIT: Gemmell is my hero.

I don't think she contributed to the first two out of the three Troy books, or not as far as I know. I own all three in Trades but have not started them yet. I have never read any Gemmell yet but I also own the first nine Drenai Tales in omnibus's. Can't decide which to read first and am looking forward to it in a big way.

Should I start with Drenai or Troy?

Personally, I didn't like the Troy series but I love the Drenai novels. Legend is one of my all time favourite books. He got the sack from the newspaper he was working at, as the editor realised one of the less savoury characters was based on him.

I don't think she contributed to the first two out of the three Troy books, or not as far as I know. I own all three in Trades but have not started them yet. I have never read any Gemmell yet but I also own the first nine Drenai Tales in omnibus's. Can't decide which to read first and am looking forward to it in a big way.

Should I start with Drenai or Troy?

Drenai is very good and you should also try the Rigante series, that was also brilliant.

I thought, overall, it was a fantastic trilogy, although I can understand people being a bit put off by the way he played around with the, ahem, legend, plus I felt the latter stages of Shield of Thunder dragged a bit. Other than that I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought Stella did a grand job of completing the final book.

I'll have to reread them again but i remember my initial feeling was they lacked the 'gemmell' charm. The hero's in his books stand out as immortals due to there outlook on life being so stark and clear. Simple even. I think with the troy series he tried to take things elsewhere. I suspect it was better writing and a better story maybe but it didnt resonant(right word?) with me as much.