Story about learning to write by hand

oldmoney

Anyone know the title of a short story where people have become so used to using computers and keyboards that they dont have to write anything by hand?
I think some people go to evening classes where they learn handwriting.
I must have read the story 35-40 years ago.

Also what's the title of the story where people wear cars?

Thanks

I'll start with the second one, which is a little easier.

That sounds a lot like "Romance in a Twenty-First Century Used-Car Lot" by Robert F. Young. Here's the publication information.

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?44001

Here's the cover of the magazine where it first appeared; the cover art illustrates the story.

FSF_0114.jpg

As far as the first one goes, are you sure it was writing and not arithmetic? If it was math and not writing, the plot sounds a lot like "The Feeling of Power" by Isaac Asimov. It has been reprinted many times. Here's a full plot description:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Feeling_of_Power

In the distant future, humans live in a computer-aided society and have forgotten the fundamentals of mathematics, including even the rudimentary skill of counting.
The Terrestrial Federation is at war with Deneb, and the war is conducted by long-range weapons controlled by computers which are expensive and hard to replace. Myron Aub, a low grade Technician, discovers how to reverse-engineer the principles of pencil-and-paper arithmetic from computers—a development which is later dubbed "Graphitics". The discovery is appropriated by the military establishment, who use it to re-invent their understanding of mathematics. They also plan to replace their computer-operated ships with lower cost, more expendable (in their opinion) manned ships to continue the war.
Aub is so upset by the appropriation of his discovery for military purposes that he commits suicide. As Aub's funeral proceeds, his supervisor realizes that even with Aub dead, the advancement of Graphitics is unstoppable. He executes simple multiplications in his mind, which gives him a great feeling of power.