post apocalyptic island with big cat

monkeypooper

Was Auch Immer
Been bugging me for awhile i read it a few years ago maybe 20yrs a group of children escape a shelter through a waystation to an island where they try to survive while being hunted by a large wild cat which is trying to feed its cub

Been bugging me for awhile i read it a few years ago maybe 20yrs a group of children escape a shelter through a waystation to an island where they try to survive while being hunted by a large wild cat which is trying to feed its cub

Been thinking a bit about this book and, i remember some other bits might be mixing books but......

It was an old deep bunker (1000yr old i think) ,i seem to remember an old exit (rusted doorway) on a disused road or, tunnel led them to a numbered waystation ( waystation 29 ?? ) , it had loads of rooms, i remember a kitchen with a big pan that made soup, then i think they escaped through a fairground, an old helter skelter i think was the way to the surface, there was a large wild cat hunted them but, they didnt know, it wanted to feed its cubs i think, they had a computer talking to them or, it was trying to make them return by actually encouraging the cat or feeding it ideas .

Last edited:
so when you say large cat are you thinking of like a lion / tiger / leopard etc or is it an overgrown radiation mutation moggy like Kitten Kong?

A panther sized cat dont think it mentioned the breed just that it was a jungle predator

I think it had a mention of the cat in the bookname but been looking that long may have mixed that up in my head

3 and a 1/2 years ago when i posted this search i thought of that joke and nearly did put it as the title

for some reason everytime i think of this story lighthouse comes to mind but i'm sure it was a helter skelter

I know you said you may be getting other books mixed up with your query. have you ever read Logan's Run? There are chapters in that where Logan and Jessica exit an underground maze through a disused station and climb up and up until they emerge in abandoned Washington. The Capitol building and surrounding area is described like a deserted tropical island. Almost immediately after they emerge a big tiger starts hunting them and they spend a few hours evading it

Doesn't match precisely, but not The Beast of Heaven by Victor Kelleher?

I didn't realise until now that the cat was telepathic - when you stated the computer was helping it I assumed it was like mutated supersmart and could understand some speech

Doesn't match precisely, but not The Beast of Heaven by Victor Kelleher?
No thats not it but iv'e added it to my tbr list thankyou for trying

I think it was more the computer was telepathic the Cat just recieved but like i said so long ago since i read it

Hi,

It doesn't exactly match your plot but telepathic cats and dystopic futures - Andre Norton - Breed to Come?

Also could it be one of the Telzey Amberdon stories - James Schmitz?

Cheers, Greg.

It does sound like an Andre Norton plot - I've got Catseye which involves telepathic cats and an underground structure but not as far as I can recall, a large cat/panther/etc.

So was this like a typical Young Adult novel ? - ( I've got to keep remembering that the computer is telepathic, not the cat ) or was the fact they were children just coincidence?

Yep it was typical YA, it was in the adult section though but, i assumed it was in the wrong section, i think it was more like influencing the cat with subliminal suggestions, than actual communication, i'm starting to seriously believe i've mixed up in my mind about 2 or3 books.

I remember they spent a few weeks in the waystation exploring it was so big,

The pan of soup they found, it was automatic and activated when they found it just kept making soup nonstop to feed thousands they never put anything into it ,

Your description makes me think of a Shannara book, can't think of the title but I'm sure it's not the one your after as no soup.

Jungle island setting. crazy monsters to escape / kill released by the ancient computer program set to guard the island.

And why are they there? for info. books they think, but I'll let you guess how the info is stored... (Spoiler?)

Back