March 2013 -- SEVENTY-FIVE WORD WRITING CHALLENGE -- VICTORY TO THEDUSTYZEBRA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Culhwch

Lost Boy
Rules:

Write a story inspired by the chosen theme and genre in no more than 75 words, not including the title.

One entry per person.

All stories Copyright 2013 by their respective authors, who grant the Chronicles Network the non-exclusive right to publish them here.

The complete rules can be found at Rules for the Writing Challenges.

Contest ends at 11:59 pm GMT, March 23 2013
Voting Ends at 11:59 pm GMT, March 28 2013

You do not have to submit a story in order to vote -- in fact, we encourage all Chrons members to take part in choosing a winner.

The Magnificent Prize:

The Dignified Congratulations/Grovelling Admiration of Your Peers and the challenge of choosing the next month's theme or genre.

Theme:

HEROES AND VILLIANS

Genre:

CONTEMPORARY FANTASY

This thread to be used for entries only. Please keep all comments to the Discussion Thread.

Re: March 2013 -- SEVENTY-FIVE WORD WRITING CHALLENGE

Over in a Flash!

He’d been broadcasting from Mongo for months.
His robots rampaged in ours streets, killing and maiming.
Rocket Ships blasted DEATH RAYS and our wands were useless against RAY GUNS!
We huddled in the ruins of our once great cities, waiting for his fleet to arrive and en-slave us all.
We’d given up, despair stalked among us.
He landed his fleet in the Fairy Wood – invasion over!
Ming the Merciless - Ming the Muppet more like!

Dubious Distinction​

Father Nicholas was deep in thought. He never saw the truck rounding the bend. As the brakes screeched, too late, a rugby tackle saved him. He landed hard against the ground, his saviour on top of him.

He looked and, amazed, asked, "Why would you save me?"

The succubus smiled sadly. "You're a good man, Father. All I did was keep the balance."

Her master watched from the shadows. "One month and his soul's mine."

High Noon

With a superior air Felix, grey heroic challenger, sat and stared. Ahead on the lawn in dead indifference, lay Tiddles, villainous ginger bruiser and renowned fox worrier from across the road.

Languidly stretching, Felix launched his assault, weaving a sauntering lazy path to the Spot.

Tiddles opened one rheumy golden eye. With a single flick of the tail he said it all.

Defeated, and in nonchalant rout, Felix meandered on to fight another day.

The Last Baobhan Sith

The baobhan sith grinned. Humans were stupid creatures, wandering into her forest.

But something was different this time. Feeling afraid, she attempted to run, only making it a few yards before she felt her head getting severed from a silver sword.

The human looked at the body grimly, wiping off his blade. These woods would be safe now, he knew. And the last of a foul race of Fey was finally put to rest.

Eye of the Beholder

Eyes flashed at each other from across the road. Cars sped past but their gazes never wavered. Chad’s heart started beating faster.

Damn it! Is he getting through my defenses?

The other man, whose name Chad didn’t know, didn’t seem bothered at all. He just stood there, raven hair snaking over his scalp.

Now Chad’s heart was racing. Pain coursed through his very being.

Guess I’m the bad guy, he thought as his heart burst.

Reflections

“This is the end of the road. Nowhere left to run.” Said the hero.

“With your legal system I’ll be back out within a year.” Said the villain.

The hero drew his sword. “There’ll be no appeal this time.”

“If you strike me down you become the very thing you despise.”

The voice of a fairy carried on the wind. “I’m putting tea out.”

“Coming dear.” They spoke as one, the man and the mirror.

Balance

Francesca touched the old man's hand gently. His skin felt like thin paper. He smiled and walked away briskly, his pain gone. She continued down the busy sidewalk, seeking out the weak and the suffering. She eased a young woman's migraine with a kiss, and healed an infant's damaged heart by singing to him. Tomorrow she would bring misery, disease, and death; but today she would do what little she could for these fragile creatures.

Thin Line​

The boys stared down the ravine at the mangled body of the goblin. Tom, twelve and oldest of the group, looked grimly at the others.

“We’re in for it now. Supe Protection Squad will see to it.”

Jimmy, only nine, squeaked in fear. “But it was an accident!”

“Like they care. Only legit reason is self-defence. We’ll have to come up with a story.”

Tom gave a sudden, sly smile. “We’ll be heroes!”

Unwilling villain

On the morning she turned eleven, she had the familiar dream -- white fire blasted from her hands, dark contorted figures withered to dust.

She woke, smiling and triumphant.

The crow on the windowsill was iridescent in the early sun. It turned one black eye on her, and croaked,

"The Dark--"

"is rising!" she said, sitting bolt upright. "Am I an Old One? I've read--"

"Claims you," the bird continued, "for its own."

The Breakfast Lie

In 2011, an amusing BBC investigation into Kellogg’s history claimed that Snap, Crackle, and Pop, sick of shoemaking, had hatched a world domination plan that involved bewitching the Kellogg brothers. Amateur video later corroborated these claims, revealing that our favourite cereals were actually specially bred magical creatures.

Outraged politicians, dreaming of heroics, declared war against Kellogg’s.

Idiots.

Seeing no other choice, Kellogg’s turned to more traditional methods of enslaving populations and released their orc army.

Boss Battle

Rhys threw everything he had at the wicked Faerie King, but nothing worked. In desperation he fell back on physical attacks, downing healing potions whenever he got the chance. The battle wore on; he was tiring fast, yet the enemy showed no sign of relenting.

A heavy blow caught him off guard, and the battle ended.

The screen darkened.

GAME OVER.

Earth's hero had lost in the battle of his choosing. The Faerie King smiled.

Midnight Train

He sat on the deserted midnight subway, reading through thick glasses. He felt time stop, and looked up from his book to see her standing there, resplendent in white robes.

“It ends tonight!” Air shimmered around her.

He smiled. “I don’t think so. This is my train.” Fire flickered in his eyes and reality shuddered.

Eyes wide, the shimmering ceased; “You can’t feed on them forever!”

Then she was gone, and the clock ticked forward.

FINN’S NOT SO MAC’COOL

The gift shop has volcanic stones set in its wall, hexagonal and stolen. It sells “Irish-giant” dolls dressed as babies.

I breathe in fury: it takes a hero to make such a wonder. I storm to the causeway and straighten to my full height. I stamp my foot. The causeway leaps. I jump; stones wash away.

“Volcanoes, eh? Have ye no magic left?”

I shrink and walk away, villainous in my destruction.

Last edited:

“And that which has wings shall tell the matter.”

Even though her skill in magic was small, she still wanted to use it to make a difference.

Tired of the injustices of the world, she took the shape of a bird and flew to where some of the local criminals lurked. It was so easy to listen to them boasting, then return to human form and call the anonymous hotline to tip off the police.

The sirens grew louder, and she smiled.

Red Hand Gang

“If you wanna be in our gang,” they said to Tom.

Young Tom’s hand hovered over the Snickers bar.

“Your mother will kill you,” his angel whispered into his ear.

“But… you’ll be so cool,” his devil whispered in the other ear.

Tom hesitated… cool with the gang or cool with Mum which one.

“Young man. Hands in the air.” The newsagent waved his wand at the young miscreant.

“I surrender,” Tom said.

Reclaimed Love

Sometimes Good and Evil can share a soul.

She sat, bound to the chair, eyes rolled and mouth hissing.

Dozens of lives were forfeit because of the demon in front of me.

I brought out the book and cited the words.

She stretched stiff, rope going taut at the pressure.

Screaming, she cursed me to Hell. I didn’t stop.

After what felt like hours, she slumped, smiled and whispered “My hero”

My wife was back.

"Hollow body," said Melek. "Packed with pulverized finger bone. Saint Derwand's. It'll stop the cardinal."

Sam slid the cartridge into his Tac-50. Looked through the scope. Church steps, a rose window, carved doors between.

"You'll be the hero now," whispered Melek.

The middle door opened. Red sash, red skull cap, red face. Was he a hero? A villain? Sam didn't care. Let Twitter decide. He held his breath. Squeezed.

Ordinary Hero, Deadly Game

Tom started his oxygen and sprinted into the fiery building. It burned hotter than any he had seen as a firefighter. Turning a corner, he found the source; fire elementals playing a deadly game.

“You shouldn’t be here – it’s against fire codes. Get out now!”

The elementals glared, Tom felt his firefighting suit heat up. He had one chance.

“By the power of the Shadow Proclamation, I banish you!”

The elementals vanished. Tom collapsed.

Success.

Withdrawal

Fear not, my sweet, it will soon be over. No longer shall we torture you with infusions and injections. The seer proclaimed that to truly free you from this prison we must turn our back on the known methods.

Trust is all I ask as I flick the switch and mutter the words given to me to save you.

Status
Not open for further replies.