Dystopian novel. Global warming, flooded cities, walking south.

b_j_9_9

Hello

I read a novel in college which I really enjoyed, but cannot recall the title or author.

The setting is a dystopian future in which a climate shift has occured, melting the ice caps and flooding cities. The population is moving toward the poles.

The main characters live on the top floors of otherwise submerged skyscrapers. The warmer climate has led to massive jungles with equally large reptiles. Our characters are planning evacuation when some kind of pirate group shows up. Divers seal a block off and manage to pump the area dry exposing the street below. There is a conflict and the dike breaks. Everyone dies or leaves except the protagonist. He embraces the new sweltering climate and begins to walk south into the jungle.

That is the story to the best of my memory. Any help tracking down this novel would be greatly appreciated.

The "walking south" makes me think this might be JG Ballard's The Drowned World. But it's been decades since I read it.

JG Ballard: The Drowned World. A powerful piece of SF (from 1962, believe it or not).