Discussion thread -- 75 WORD WRITING CHALLENGE February 2013

My pleasure SB.

Sorry no comments today, just not up to it, suffering from Perpetual Man Flu.

It's the same as man flu only worse ;)

You made my night, thanks RJM Corbet.

RJM Corbet - A very moving story of an android who is built so perfect, it wishes Heaven would have room for it. Sad, and yet beautiful.

I missed your review, have been using my phone to access internet recently. Thanks SB :)

I still think yours is the best so far ...

Scott - mine got yanked because I miscounted (multiple times) and ended up going a word over. A bit gutting, but never mind, hey.

There's mine in. It's an idea that has been sat in my notebook and slowly added to for the past few months - I couldn't believe my luck when I saw the theme! Of course, now I realise the pain of having to condense something down into seventy-five words.

The title isn't quite what I wanted, but after spending nearly an hour going through combinations that didn't quite say what I meant (without it being a paragraph long), I couldn't justify putting the hoovering off any longer.

Thanks Starbeast :) The story turned out WAY different than planned, but I was pretty pleased with the outcome

You're welcome Monsterchic.

My pleasure SB.

Sorry no comments today, just not up to it, suffering from Perpetual Man Flu. It's the same as man flu only worse ;)

I hope you didn't get what I had, I was sick for 4 weeks. Get well soon pal.

I missed your review, have been using my phone to access internet recently. Thanks SB :)

I still think yours is the best so far ...

You're welcome RJM Corbet, and thank you emensely for your wonderful comment.

Chrispenycate - You've written another hard-hitting tale! This one pertains to the frightening reality of copyrighted DNA. But the masses won't stand for it, be it big business or government, they're going down!

J Riff - A dark humored tale written about a mute hobo who destroyed a city with a monster that is deadly with it's thundering voice of comedy, so he can be at peace with himself. Fiendishly funny!

Lenny - This is quite a unique tale. Gathering for the ritual, creating the hour glass to keep track of time, and the further advancement of knowledge. Strange and surreal, truely a one of a kind story. Remarkable.

Scott - mine got yanked because I miscounted (multiple times) and ended up going a word over. A bit gutting, but never mind, hey.

What a bummer, and easily done. :( There is always next month, and that will be the winning month for you. ;)

StilLearning - Taking life, and giving a new soul a chance in a world where technology is high and the belief in multiple gods is the norm. But, there is one who wants to make a startling change because the gods do nothing. Interesting sci-fi/fantasy.

Glisterspeck - Wouldn't that be something if paradise is only behind a locked door, waiting for someone with the key to enter. What a wonderful childlike fantasy that would be, it could even bring out the child hidden within an adult.

Reiver33 - I can sometimes see the fine line between what is real, and what is only make believe. Just imagining what would happen if there was a crossover from either side could fun, or it could be fatal, and in this case, it is a big mistake.

AlcubierreWarp - The life of a electronic doctor wold be very strange, when it's first switched on, and like a neon light flickering before it steadies itself, it's artificial intelligence would be startled, for a few seconds. (Bonus points ;))

Mine's up now.

Looking forward to catching up on the entries so far once I'm home later...and this thread too, for that matter!

Storm Crow interesting contemporary story with a twist. But are you sure super-earth is going to be counted as 1 word?

Parson - Thanks, I'll take interesting to be a good thing!:)

(On the words... I hope so - I believe it's a valid compound, like X-ray or U-Boat)

I am never, ever making jokes about Perpetual Man Flu again. I'm still in recovery in a house that has been sealed off with a red cross on the door...

Thanks to those of you who wished me well, it was a lot more than flu in the end and there have been a few complications that still need to be resolved, but for now I'm going to attempt to get back on with the comments. I'm not sure if I'll ever catch up but here I go...

Johnnyjet - A box of chocolates that speaks to you, encouraging you to eat them. Not sure how good that would be on a chocoholic like me. They'd be gone before they had a chance to beg. Unless they were coffee creams. They could beg and shout and I'd just leave them there. Laughing. A great idea that kept me sorely amused.

monsterchic - Grim and visceral, this is a total contrast to the previous story and probably works well because of it. For me the story is brilliantly built around the harsh, brutal language. In many ways it does not matter what teh creature is, be it man or monster, all that matters id that it is something driven by a virus, and that those virus keep coming. As does vengeance.

DEO - What initially seems to be a mystical piece turns itself upside down, when it becomes apparent that it is in fact SF. An apocalyptic future where all that we know has been blown away, the world turned upside down, old ways returning, mixed with others more advanced. There is some lovely description - the eyes and the weapon (it spoke to me of Ash for a moment) and the kind of melancholy of despite everything something that does not have it, still craving life.

Chris - There is something very chilling and frighteningly possible in this story. Just imagine a world where someone can patent your DNA, without you being able to do a thing about it because you did not do it first! It just reeks of reality. The fact that our storyteller seems so pragmatic about it at the end makes you wonder what he had done in his time to take it relatively well.

J Riff - The lengths some people will go to for a little peace and quiet eh? Creating life just to drive people away? But life that does it by telling jokes? Bad ones? Pah, that made it quite funny actually. Better than the joke anyway ;)

hopewrites -- appropriate "evolution" of this poem from simple to complex

BigJ -- intriguing philosophical verse

kromanjon -- a frightening tale of a fate truly worse then death

Bowler1 -- full of sardonic wit

springs -- a full one-actor play in a few words

Abernovo -- a remarkable use of an unusual point of view

Karn Maeshalanadae -- a cute bit of whimsy

Ratsy -- interesting use of multiple themes

Kylara -- thought-provoking

Starbeast -- unexpected and amusing

Talysia -- a charming parable

RJM Corbet -- an effective interior monologue

Luiglin -- quite funny

Scott R. Forshaw -- I had to read it more than once to get the subtle end

The Spurring Platty -- very mysterious

Parson -- present a viewpoint not often seen in SF; reminds me of "The Star" by Clarke

Hex -- an unusual variation on a literary classic

Glen -- a hard-hitting challenge to the reader's thinking

Juliana -- makes good use of what is unsaid

johnnyjet -- a droll and original notion

monsterchic -- a grim, open-ended tale

David Evil Overlord -- vivid poetry

chrispenycate -- an ironic twist on biotech and the law

J Riff -- very strange

Lenny -- very unusual

StilLearning -- both moving and scary

Glisterspeck -- mysterious and moody

reiver33 -- a postmodern twist