Scary Numbers in SFF print trade

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by ctg, Jan 19, 2013.

ctg

ctg weaver of the unseen

Before I quote, why is it that there isn't longer graph?

http://blogs.publishersweekly.com/blogs/genreville/?p=2251#comments
    springs

springs Juggling life

It is only print sales and sff are an early gainer from ebooks - that is why harper had the window - i think without both shown and a comparison to the rest of the market the context is limited. Now, dressing gowns at the ready... Don't panic!
    Montero

Montero Active Member

a) Concur with Springs on both points - comparison with the rest of the market is essential in this recession - and with all sales, not just paper books and ebooks. Are people just buying less all round?

b) Wonder where 50 Shades of Stuff were counted, if they were counted.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
    Ursa major

Ursa major Bearly Believable Staff Member

Isn't (b) a grey area? (I'm not going to say which.)

I reckon between a quarter and a third of the fiction I've bought has been in the form of ebooks. I bought the first of these in December 2011. I still prefer paper books, but some of the books I bought weren't available in paper form, and of the rest, at least four of them weren't to be found in the book stores I visit.
    Glitch

Glitch #452

Looking at the full report (b) is counted in Adult and Romance.

From what I can gather, the Nielsen BookScan data doesn't inculde books sold by Amazon. One author commented that Nielsen showed her book as selling about 500 copes, but the royalty check she got was for over 7000 copies.
    Lucian Poll

Lucian Poll Cheeky so-and-so

I'd agree with Glitch and said author. When you create a page on Amazon's Author Central (for Amazon.com, at least) you can see the sales of your assorted books as provided by Nielsen, but you are told that eBook sales are not included in the data. For those sales you're told to consult your eBook publishing platform(s) of choice, like Amazon KDP. (I'm not sure if any CreateSpace stuff reaches Nielsen's data either.)

I wonder what the numbers would be for horror novels.