Getting started: Best sources for information?

Mangara

Hello all.

I've got a good idea for story, but I really suck at putting this idea into words. I needs advice on books/websites etc that are good places to read and learn how to write effectively?

I like the Bookshelf Muse.

But also remember the vast majority of writers do suck when they start and it takes a lot of sucky writing to become better.

The very best thing is to look at your favourite books and see how they do it.

But also remember the vast majority of writers do suck when they start and it takes a lot of sucky writing to become better.

QUOTE]

Was it John Jarrold who said (or possibly quoted) that you need to write a million words before it's any good? I'm embarrassed by some of my early work, for all the basic mistakes I made, but I know I had a good story... Sounds like you're the same - just start, and then rewrite as you learn (can't be anywhere better than here to do that). If there was a book that showed you how to write effectively, it probably would mess up the creative part of your brain as you try to make it fit someone else's ideas. Get words down on paper in any fashion and then look at them, show them, change them, throw them in the bin (as Stephen King did with 'Carrie'), fish them out again, write them again, and voila in ( a certain amount of time, nobody knows exactly how long:eek:) you'll be writing effectively and realising you enjoyed the hell out of the whole journey!

Did you learn to drive effectively on your first lesson? I doubt it - but writing 'effectively' is the equivalent of the advanced driver's ability - you gotta practise, practise, practise. Or was that the way to Carnegie Hall? Either way, it's only achievable though innate genius or hard work, take your pick. And good luck!!

"Save the cat" is my favourite 'how to write' book.

But more important than that, is to read a lot of fiction, especially in your genre, and especially most recently published works.

Mangara, if you'll forgive me commenting on the piece you put up in Critiques -- there were grammatical mistakes in it BUT there was an awful lot to like as well -- you clearly had a very interesting idea and a lot of vision.

If I were you, I'd write the story and worry about the details of grammar when it's done. You don't want to get side-tracked into learning all about grammar and lose the story while you're distracted.

Alternatively, as I recall, you made a couple of mistakes a few times -- if you sort those out, you'll be well on the way to clarifying what you're writing. You could write some more and post in Critiques (or the Workshop) asking for grammar feedback, if that would interest you.

I love Mark Tredinnick's Writing Well for stuff on writing (a lot of the other books I've read are about structuring a story, which isn't the same thing) -- it's beautiful and accessible and makes you think about what you're really saying.

As people have said, you need to write and write; in a short space of time you'll most certainly see an improvement in your skills.

Books are helpful, and this place is great. Join in the challenges as these are a great way to hone your technique.

Along with Save the Cat by Blake Snyder, here are some others you may like to pick up:

On Writing - Stephen King
The Art of War for Writers - James Scott Bell (a Zen-ish take on writing technique inspired by Sun Tzu's ancient The Art of War)
The 38 Most Common Fiction Writing Mistakes - Jack M. Bickham
How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy - Orson Scott Card
On Writing Horror (a collection of essays) - ed. Mort Castle
Plot - Ansen Dibell
The Elements of Style - William Strunk

As you get better, and more comfortable with your own style, you will be able to disregard or play with some of the rules, so don't worry if some of these books seem rather prescriptive.

Hope this helps

pH

The most important writing book I've ever read is Larry Brooks' Story Engineering. He's a little long winded at times, but his book makes Save the Cat look like a kindergarten primer.